HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:04 PM

Denley is clueless and small-minded as always. I bet he didn't even get his ass of the couch to visit either of the consultations to begin with.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Denley is clueless and small-minded as always.
Yep. I agree with him occasionally, but this is definitely not one of those times. Nor was a couple of weeks ago when he was playing armchair transit planner.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:11 PM

He is paid to get people's attention, not for being a reporter.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
One would expect that the hill on the east end of the development is a giant pile of super-toxic sludge. The levels of contamination are off the charts along the river there, so the 'built' environment will be at the decontaminated area only (because the NCC paid an arm and a leg to have it cleaned, only to hand it over to developers).
Who else is supposed to, y'know, do the developing?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:02 PM

From an article in the Ottawa Citizen,by Martin Cleary, concerning OSEG.

Quote:
Nor is the issue of compromised infrastructure fully accounted for. Seven years into the Lansdowne partnership, OSEG recognizes the entire north side of the football stadium as well as the arena need replacing, and soon. The original assumption had been OSEG would be able to spend a bit each year to keep the stands and arena in good condition. That much was budgeted for, but a full replacement, which would cost tens of millions of dollars, was not. In coming months OSEG and the city will negotiate over who should bear the extra cost.
If it needs to be done, then spend the money to build it at LBF where you have LRT . When that is done, TD Place can be torn down and replaced by revenue generating condos or apartments etc.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:45 PM

As per my comment on the Sports thread, if it comes down to demolishing the Civic Centre (which would be regrettable IMO), I would like to see the North Side re-built with a sports facility such as the Abilities Centre at its base. A new arena could be built for the NHL, OHL and CEBL at LeBreton. By splitting the cost for the LeBreton facility between the City, the Sens (hopefully with a new owner) and OSEG, along with hosting multiple sports teams, it could make the project more viable.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
As per my comment on the Sports thread, if it comes down to demolishing the Civic Centre (which would be regrettable IMO), I would like to see the North Side re-built with a sports facility such as the Abilities Centre at its base. A new arena could be built for the NHL, OHL and CEBL at LeBreton. By splitting the cost for the LeBreton facility between the City, the Sens (hopefully with a new owner) and OSEG, along with hosting multiple sports teams, it could make the project more viable.
OSEG (i.e. Ruddy and partners) working with Melnyk? Not likely. Maybe if the Sens are sold, but not anytime soon.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
OSEG (i.e. Ruddy and partners) working with Melnyk? Not likely. Maybe if the Sens are sold, but not anytime soon.
I agree: never going to happen. As soon as Melnyk sells the team, assuming it's to a person or group who will keep the team in Ottawa, it will trigger serious talks between the City and the new ownership regarding a new arena for the Sens, and possibly involve OSEG.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I agree: never going to happen. As soon as Melnyk sells the team, assuming it's to a person or group who will keep the team in Ottawa, it will trigger serious talks between the City and the new ownership regarding a new arena for the Sens, and possibly involve OSEG.
I can see that. Right now the Civic Centre competes with the CTC for concerts, but if it ends up going, that would clear the way for collaboration.

That said, Lebreton isn’t nearly as good a location for the 67s or for things like the Capital Hoops Classic or the Ottawa U - Carleton hockey game. The Civic Centre is perfect for those. I hope they find a way to keep both.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I can see that. Right now the Civic Centre competes with the CTC for concerts, but if it ends up going, that would clear the way for collaboration.

That said, Lebreton isn’t nearly as good a location for the 67s or for things like the Capital Hoops Classic or the Ottawa U - Carleton hockey game. The Civic Centre is perfect for those. I hope they find a way to keep both.
Curious to know why you think LeBreton is not as good a location as Lansdowne? I always have transit accessibility at the back of my head, especially when it comes to a site accessible by rapid transit from both universities (in the case of uOttawa vs Carleton classics).

I too would prefer to keep both if possible, but I don't see that happening if the Civic needs to be demolished. If it comes down to a Civic Centre replacement vs. a downtown NHL arena, the choice is clear IMO.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:37 PM

Lansdowne is not a good place for an NHL arena. The only reason football works there currently is the infrequency of games (including far fewer on week nights) and that games are in much better weather, allowing people to walk/bike/bus more easily. Lebreton is not only at the juncture of our two LRT lines but also a short distance from literally 10's of thousands of parking spaces that are vacant after 6pm. If you guys remember, a couple years ago I overlaid the CTC on the Lebreton site and the furthest parking spots in Kanata are about 600m walking distance from the building. At Lebreton, a slightly longer walk (or very short LRT ride) and you have access to PDV, Constitution Square .....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
Lansdowne is not a good place for an NHL arena. The only reason football works there currently is the infrequency of games (including far fewer on week nights) and that games are in much better weather, allowing people to walk/bike/bus more easily. Lebreton is not only at the juncture of our two LRT lines but also a short distance from literally 10's of thousands of parking spaces that are vacant after 6pm. If you guys remember, a couple years ago I overlaid the CTC on the Lebreton site and the furthest parking spots in Kanata are about 600m walking distance from the building. At Lebreton, a slightly longer walk (or very short LRT ride) and you have access to PDV, Constitution Square .....
I've never really factored CBD parking into my Lebreton pondering. Very good point!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Curious to know why you think LeBreton is not as good a location as Lansdowne? I always have transit accessibility at the back of my head, especially when it comes to a site accessible by rapid transit from both universities (in the case of uOttawa vs Carleton classics).
Nothing to do with the site itself, really. I think there is a lot of history at Lansdowne, which can be underrated. Lansdowne is also surrounded by neighbourhoods filled with hockey-playing kids who walk to the games. Kids are always key to OHL attendance Not sure how many fans walk, but my impression is that it is a pretty significant number. I think you would largely lose that walking demographic at Lebreton.

As for the university sports, I just think that Lansdowne is perfect. Almost exactly in the middle of the two schools and a nice walk from either. Maybe that’s not as crucial as I think it is, but you see tonnes of kids walking down the canal for those events. Not sure that translates to Lebreton.

BTW - not suggesting an NHL arena there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
If you guys remember, a couple years ago I overlaid the CTC on the Lebreton site and the furthest parking spots in Kanata are about 600m walking distance from the building. At Lebreton, a slightly longer walk (or very short LRT ride) and you have access to PDV, Constitution Square .....
From Westsideaction, showing the ridiculousness of the parking situation in Kanata.

https://www.westsideaction.ca/lebett...s-go-marching/

I had thought of that CBD parking angle before. I'm not sure how realistic it would be to walk, but if transit was included in the cost of the ticket, fans could definitely park at PdV, WEP or wherever and take the train a few stations down to LeBreton.

I would imagine that those who live out in areas with poor transit service could do this, those who lived near an O-Train Line would take transit the whole way and those in the suburbs would park-and-ride.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Nothing to do with the site itself, really. I think there is a lot of history at Lansdowne, which can be underrated. Lansdowne is also surrounded by neighbourhoods filled with hockey-playing kids who walk to the games. Kids are always key to OHL attendance Not sure how many fans walk, but my impression is that it is a pretty significant number. I think you would largely lose that walking demographic at Lebreton.

As for the university sports, I just think that Lansdowne is perfect. Almost exactly in the middle of the two schools and a nice walk from either. Maybe that’s not as crucial as I think it is, but you see tonnes of kids walking down the canal for those events. Not sure that translates to Lebreton.

BTW - not suggesting an NHL arena there.
I don't disagree. Lansdowne and the Civic Centre are well positioned in the centre of an established neighbourhood. There is a sense of nostalgia/history. Transportation is the biggest issue, but might not be such a big deal for a 10,000 seat arena. As you've suggested, the site would not work for an NHL arena.

Though LeBerton would undoubtedly be a far better location for the Sens that Kanata (or just about anywhere else), I do worry about the look and feel of the future neighborhood. Will it have a good mix low, medium and high income, 1-2-3, maybe even 4 bedrooms, or will it be mostly studios and 1-2 bedrooms single and couples. Will there be a sense of community or will it be cold and sterile. We won't know until it's built.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree. Lansdowne and the Civic Centre are well positioned in the centre of an established neighbourhood. There is a sense of nostalgia/history. Transportation is the biggest issue, but might not be such a big deal for a 10,000 seat arena. As you've suggested, the site would not work for an NHL arena.

Though LeBerton would undoubtedly be a far better location for the Sens that Kanata (or just about anywhere else), I do worry about the look and feel of the future neighborhood. Will it have a good mix low, medium and high income, 1-2-3, maybe even 4 bedrooms, or will it be mostly studios and 1-2 bedrooms single and couples. Will there be a sense of community or will it be cold and sterile. We won't know until it's built.
Your typo immediately brought this to mind:

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:33 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC gives green light to revised LeBreton Flats concept plan

Blair Crawford, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: January 23, 2020

The National Capital Commission hopes to have “shovels in the ground” next year after taking one more step forward on the long-delayed development of LeBreton Flats, approving a “preliminary master concept plan” at its board meeting Thursday morning.

The plan offers a bird’s-eye view of the design that will serve as a guide to planners and incorporates public feedback to the concepts first unveiled by the NCC in November.

“In some ways it’s a simplification and will ensure greater clarity on the fact that there are these four districts and areas all of which have common features,” NCC chief executive Tobi Nussbaum said.

Those four districts include the cultural and entertainment-focused Aqueduct District along the existing canal that supplies the Fleet Street Pumping Station, a mixed use “high street” concept in the Albert District, which will be anchored at the east end by Ottawa’s new central library, the primarily residential Flats District and the natural green space of the Park District.

When completed decades from now, the NCC hopes the nearly 29-hectare LeBreton Flats site will have 418,000 square metres of residential space, 116,000 square metres of office space and 21,000 square metres of retail space. The Flats could be home to 7,200 residents and provide up to 6,500 jobs. Nearly 13 acres, or 44 per cent of the total, will consist of parkland and open spaces.

The concept approved Thursday pays special attention to building heights, with a focus on mid-rise buildings of up to six storeys with higher towers set back from pedestrian areas and concentrated near the Pimisi and Bayview LRT stations at either end of the Flats. The street network within the flats will be designed for very low speeds of 10 to 30 km/h with limited parking to produce “intimate, human-scaled streets” that encourage people to get around on foot, by bicycle or on public transit.

Public feedback, gathered at a November open house and through online surveys, stressed the need for a grocery store in the area, which is now considered a “food desert.” Restaurants and pubs, family-sized living spaces and an “events centre” also ranked high. The least popular feature in public surveys? More condos.

Though the current plan doesn’t include a hockey arena — which was the centrepiece of the failed RendezVous LeBreton plan — there is room for a major event space between Pimisi and Bayview stations, said NCC chairman Marc Seaman.

“The plan’s very clear. We’re holding space there. We know that LeBreton Flats is a 20- to 30-year build out, as it was in the previous plan. We have a location between the two stations perfectly designed and aligned,” Seaman said.

“But was also knew as a board that we didn’t want all our eggs in one basket, so there’s flexibility around the development. The event centre, as we heard from the public consultations, is a key component of this plan. And we have a perfect location for it.”

The NCC hopes to tender its first procurements in the next couple of weeks and construction could begin on the site as soon as 2021.

Over the summer, the NCC will work with the city to adapt the LeBreton master concept plan to the City of Ottawa’s official plan. The NCC board will hold a final vote in the fall.

bcrawford@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/getBAC

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...s-concept-plan

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:01 PM

Noticed yesterday that the NCC posted the slides presented at the Board meeting last week. Some great details in the 122 page document, including history, heights, proposed uses for each block (residential/commercial), mobility, massing overview, drawings...

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...20200123111329

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Noticed yesterday that the NCC posted the slides presented at the Board meeting last week. Some great details in the 122 page document, including history, heights, proposed uses for each block (residential/commercial), mobility, massing overview, drawings...

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...20200123111329
Thanks for posting that. I whizzed through it but didn't see anything wrt affordable housing. Is there a specific component?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Thanks for posting that. I whizzed through it but didn't see anything wrt affordable housing. Is there a specific component?
This is all I could find on affordable housing, at the end of page 64:

Housing affordability targets and implementation tools to achieve housing
affordability will be defined in the forthcoming affordable housing
strategy to be added as an appendix to the Master Concept Plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa