HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:49 PM
BANNED

The Canadian Economy Thread

There's a thread for the provinces but I didn't see one for the nation (besides real estate) so here it goes.

Although there was discussion of where the economy was headed during the election, I feel like we've been ignoring some major issues. Wage growth, taxes, bureaucratic hurdles, stagnation, confusing tax laws, stagnant GDP growth, lack of innovation/investment in industries besides real estate/education, etc. Employment has been strong and while unemployment has risen recently its still low. I feel like employment numbers have blinded us to other stats which have been disappointing. These issues go back before Harper (and thus cannot be blamed on one party or the other). Canada's three main economic drivers appear to now be real estate, resources, and manufacturing (which appears to be dying). Film and tech seem to be growing but still are not as big as they should be. Given our lower wages and dollar you'd think every American company would choose here to open an office unless there are significant issues. Also given our size you'd think agriculture would be a bigger part of our economy (I understand that a lot of land is not farmable but you don't need good land for a greenhouse). Although these aren't bad it does feel like many of our traditional industries are dying. Feel free to comment.

PS: Please do not mention things that belong in the provincial economics thread.

Last edited by misher; Dec 9, 2019 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:54 PM
BANNED

GDP went down 0.1% in October.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada