HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:37 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Every other major city in Canada.
And Winnipeg isn't? With a new hotel downtown and one in construction out at the airport, how is Winnipeg not building hotels?

Where are you from again? Calgary?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:31 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
On a side note, my Dad attended University there before finishing up in Brandon. I'll ask him for an address of where he stayed. This would be in the 80s though, so given how old you are it could at least be an interesting coffee table discussion.

EDIT: It was on James Street, no exact address though. But he does have a pic so perhaps I can upload it later. But Fort William area??
It was Fort William. James Street is long though, and I'm not too familiar with it.

Back on topic, Limbrick Place on James Street has a large aboriginal population. Probably because it's housing. Housing tends to have a higher amount of aboriginals than other areas.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 5:28 AM
BANNED

Strahl responds to the chiefs' claim

In your letter, you assert that the Treaty One First Nations continue to possess "an underlying title" to the lands upon which the City of Winnipeg is situated. As you know, under the terms of Treaty One, the First Nations released their aboriginal rights to these lands to the Crown in exchange for the benefits provided for in the treaty.

One of these benefits was an entitlement to have lands set apart as reserve. The treaty land entitlement of Sandy Bay Ojibway and Sagkeeng First Nations has been fulfilled. Settlement agreements fulfilling the outstanding treaty land entitlements are in place for the Long Plain, Brokenhead Ojibway, Swan Lake and Roseau River Anishinabe First Nations. The First Nations released their treaty rights to land in exchange for the benefits of the settlement agreements.

-- Letter to Treaty One chiefs from Indian Affairs Minister Chuck Strahl, Dec. 3, 2007

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan