HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 1:14 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
you don't go very much downtown, do you? I guess you prefer your little plastic castle of Dairy Queens. Enjoy your suburban malls, you idiot, and Winnipeg will always be exactly what you want, a dead town.
For your information, moron, I've lived downtown since November '90 and have visited downtown since I was a babe in arms, so don't you go telling me I don't go downtown.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:07 AM

Quote:
that's absolutely untrue, there are very few drunk people on Graham and Portage, I like those streets very much.
Hmmm, that would make a great signature line, maybe to replace Haber's classic.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:12 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Hmmm, that would make a great signature line, maybe to replace Haber's classic.
my dear, do you get anything better than that in Winnipeg? do you like Pembina highway for a walk?
Again, those streets have really improved enormously in just one year. And I'd still prefer walking in a semi-nice environment with people i'm not comfortable with that in a mall with all white and polite people, shopping for things they don't really need.
This attitude (i don't like natives so i don't go downtown) is what makes winnipeggers so awkward.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:16 AM

Quote:
my dear, do you get anything better than that in Winnipeg? do you like Pembina highway for a walk?
Again, those streets have really improved enormously in just one year. And I'd still prefer walking in a semi-nice environment with people i'm not comfortable with that in a mall with all white and polite people, shopping for things they don't really need.
This attitude (i don't like natives so i don't go downtown) is what makes winnipeggers so awkward.
Yeah, I hate polite people too. Assholes.

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 6:52 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
... well I agree and disagree ...

I mean I love suburban malls as much as anyone, but I subscribe to the method of spraying those polite bastards with stink spray.

This recreates the downtown experience both in smell and it also eliminates any polite behavior by those damn white folk.

If I can find a way to demoralize them to the point of willingly give up on life, my mission will be complete. Stink spray may not be enough. I tried to give them mouthwash, but they just used it to smell better ..

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:29 PM
video et taceo

just don't lose the orange buses. they are great in a 70s-social-studies-textbook-cover way. i wish we still had our green-and-cream streetcars here.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
just don't lose the orange buses. they are great in a 70s-social-studies-textbook-cover way. i wish we still had our green-and-cream streetcars here.
The orange coloured buses are not a 70s thing, but go back to the streetcar days of the earlier 20th century. It's called "traction orange".

http://world.nycsubway.org/us/boston/mattapan.html

Boston MTA Mattapan streetcar:

Image Courtesy of NYC Subway website

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:07 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I just wish the city hadn't dropped the orange motif on all of the buses and focused on white as the new thang.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:07 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post

Image Courtesy of NYC Subway website
That's the kind of streetcar that Winnnipeg Electric Co. could have purchased after the war, instead of paying huge sums of money on ripping out street tracks and paving roads to accomodate trolley and diesel buses (oh yeah, the private cars, too). Same colors it would have had, too.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:39 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I just wish the city hadn't dropped the orange motif on all of the buses and focused on white as the new thang.
Most cities are following the white concept .. its cheaper not to have to paint the buses. They are delivered white.. so just add some decals and you're on your way.

The new C-trains in Calgary aren't even getting the decals, just plan white.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:49 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Most cities are following the white concept .. its cheaper not to have to paint the buses. They are delivered white.. so just add some decals and you're on your way.

that's pathetic IMHO.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg should follow Calgary's lead and ban panhandling 50 meters from any transit stop .. this would clean up most of Graham and downtown Portage.

It's a good idea, but who would enforce it?

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 5:51 AM
visionary

Quote:
I lived downtown Winnipeg for 6 years ... and I know for a fact that Graham and Portage were cluttered with some of the lowest forms of vagrants, bums and the generally uninspired I have ever seen.

If that somehow makes for a vibrant downtown then maybe its not worth it.... and lets not put down Dairy Queen.

Blizzards....

I wish there was one in downtown Winnipeg, but it would probibly turn into a bum hangout.... off to the burbs for ice cream.

HOw about we build an urban reserve but in the suburbs, build cheap apartement, all the affordable and manitoba housing and a few bars and liquor marts with a massive industrial park in the east of the city. This way the cost of living would be cheap and all the low end jobs would be there. And all the low lifes can have a new playground to drug and drink there life away. I would also have the cops pick up every bum and vagrant and drop them off there. Sorry to sound so communist but this may be part of the solution of cleaning up downtown from the scum.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 6:07 AM
Majestic

Quote:

Correction, they are getting a paint job eventually, however there are slightly more pressing issues right now such as the possible transit strike. Supposedly the CTrains will be a white base with red and silver stripes (red and white are the city colours, so it makes sense).

Flickr

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 3:24 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris550 View Post
Correction, they are getting a paint job eventually, however there are slightly more pressing issues right now such as the possible transit strike. Supposedly the CTrains will be a white base with red and silver stripes (red and white are the city colours, so it makes sense).
News to me ... even the old trains aren't painted. Just long purple decals.

I find it hard to believe that the threat of a strike is preventing the crews from placing decals, but if you say so.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
HOw about we build an urban reserve but in the suburbs, build cheap apartement, all the affordable and manitoba housing and a few bars and liquor marts with a massive industrial park in the east of the city. This way the cost of living would be cheap and all the low end jobs would be there. And all the low lifes can have a new playground to drug and drink there life away. I would also have the cops pick up every bum and vagrant and drop them off there. Sorry to sound so communist but this may be part of the solution of cleaning up downtown from the scum.
Or better yet, why not just make existing reserves more attractive (housing, jobs, education etc) so that there is less relocation to the city. I would recommend doing this for the reserves that are closer in proximity to Winnipeg, the ones that are too far north are veritable right offs.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

That's ridiculous. Just add decals...? I mean even then they don't even make a difference on certain buses in the long run, because that's like being assimilated with the Borg. It's like losing an identity and going with what everyone is going for. That's too bad because it's they're like ultimate identifiers in which city they're from whenever you see those buses on TV or in pictures. To me, our older orange buses was Winnipeg to me. Now those last of the latest high floor buses are getting repainted too. I guess the focus is on "efficiency" rather than "creature comfort."

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:59 AM
Oppressive optimism

I emailed the Mayor Glen Murray when he was still in power and he said that it was considered an "unnecessary expense." It's hard to criticize his point. I really liked the painted buses but if money is tight, things like this are always the first to be cut from the budget. This is also the reason that they no longer paint the street lights, apparently.

Wasn't really a big fan of the orange and yellow buses, but I really like the ones from the late 90's with just the orange and white.

http://www.freewebs.com/furiousmcdpi...ipeg%5Fbus.jpg

Last edited by furiousmcd; May 14, 2007 at 4:01 AM. Reason: Screwed up the HTML

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
It's a good idea, but who would enforce it?
The garbage police?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:12 AM
Oppressive optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
Or better yet, why not just make existing reserves more attractive (housing, jobs, education etc) so that there is less relocation to the city. I would recommend doing this for the reserves that are closer in proximity to Winnipeg, the ones that are too far north are veritable right offs.
Hahah, since when does Winnipeg not need people to relocate here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan