HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Holt Renfrew Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 4:24 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I definitively like the middle portion of the tower best. To me, the tower is a continuation of the trend in Toronto where the condo towers are trying very hard to be more than just bland glass boxes, and should deliver an acceptable amount of diversity to the skyline.
Agree. The middle portion is exquisite. The podium is good, but the top looks like an after thought and a continuation of the bland glass box trend. It's far too plain and pedestrian for a sophisticated strip like the Mink Mile. Continuing the visual interest all the way up would be a big improvement.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Yeah I know the CN Tower pretty well. but yeah I mean a skyscraper in the technical use of the term, a fully habitable building. Call me crazy, but I don't think a 1,000-1,200-foot tower would upset the supremacy of the CN Tower, which would still have several hundred feet on such a building. I'm surprised Toronto doesn't have a building topping 1,000 feet yet, considering it's major role as an economic engine and cultural center for the whole of Canada...this coming from a New Yorker, I think Toronto deserves a few supertalls.
True, but it but with the OMB and the City of Toronto's opposing views on buildings certain height (not even sure if they support tall buildings or not due to the opposing news), it is becoming increasingly difficult to make a impacting proposals. I would certainly like a supertall but the with the state of the city and observing the rate at which it's growing, it might take some time and definitely a guy with large pockets and enough power to get a proposal over 400m.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 12:34 AM

I'd be surprised to see anything in the 500m range in Toronto for a long time. However, 350m will probably be built in the next decade for sure, and I certainly imagine something topping 400m to be constructed along a similar time frame too.

Neither towers of that height would distract from the CN Tower, if anything, they would compliment and work with it to extend skywards Toronto's skyline.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 2:53 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I do find skyline's like Taipei awkward due to a super tall dwarfing the rest of the skyline, but Toronto has bulked up enough. It's ready for a few 300m+ or 400m+ buildings.

I'd qualify that the CN Tower is the focal point of the skyline for now. The idea that it must always tower over everything else or remain the tallest is just bizarre. Vibrant cities continue to change, grow, and evolve. The CN Tower is just one part of the evolution of our skyline; dynamic cities continually build new focal points. Paris isn't stopping with the Eiffel Tower and New York isn't stopping with the Empire State building.
Let's not forget that the owners of the Empire State Building were quite vocal about opposing 15 Penn Plaza. They don't want any big towers near thier own. Skyscraper owning NIMBY's? And Paris has some tall proposals that would take the title away from Eiffel but they have been in limbo for years.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Let's not forget that the owners of the Empire State Building were quite vocal about opposing 15 Penn Plaza. They don't want any big towers near thier own. Skyscraper owning NIMBY's? And Paris has some tall proposals that would take the title away from Eiffel but they have been in limbo for years.
Exactly my point. It's not that Toronto won't get anything over 400m+ but it will be incredibly difficult to get one near the core. I don't think there are developers with deep enough pockets and influence to build such a building in Toronto... at least for now. Either way if there is a chance for one then it will have to be considerably gaped from the CN such as the eastern side of the skyline, which is actually a positive but for now we'll just have to wait.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2012, 1:13 PM

Any news on this project?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:13 PM
gettin' rich!

Well, I think this project like Oxford's Convention Centre site likely has a 10 year sales and build out horizon.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Well, I think this project like Oxford's Convention Centre site likely has a 10 year sales and build out horizon.
Why so morose all of a sudden ? It's just a single tower (albeit a big one) in a hot area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 5:39 PM
gettin' rich!

Just because of the amount of work involved, in getting the logistics right for keeping a major department store underway, while there is a tower built over it.

It'll take some time for it to get going, plus approvals too!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 7:25 PM

Yeah, but ten years ?!?!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
gettin' rich!

ok, could be less. At the worst case scenerio, 10 year timeline.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 9:37 PM

I see completion around 2018, possibly 2019. thats 6-7 years.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 5:23 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I see completion around 2018, possibly 2019. thats 6-7 years.
This seems reasonable, but it's still a long time.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:25 PM

Update for 50 bloor west (from UT)

Developer Morguard has put forth for a large rooftop public garden above the Holt Renfrew portion of the site. The developer would see an increase in height of the western half of the site up to 8 storeys, which would include an expanded mixed-use facility of retail and commercial office space. The rooftop of that portion would then be earmarked for public space, while privately maintained and being accessible through the concourse level of the expanded shopping plaza bellow. Sitting at about a half acre in size, there are few private properties in the immediate area that one can think of which have nearly as much rooftop space, while also being close enough to ground level to allow reasonable access.

While the condo amenity space is proposed to be on the same level as the garden space, the private amenities are entirely internalized within the floor plate of the tower itself. What's proposed for the rest of the area are a series of smaller programmed spaces including landscaped gardens, a running track, a tennis court, and the ability to convert part of the space into a skating rink during the cold months.

he project also proposes to make some improvements to the laneway in behind the complex, specifically by internalizing all loading functions, in conjunction with the Cumberland Terrace proposal to the north, helping to improve vehicular flow. The proposal also sees loading access happening exclusively from Bay Street, to avoid trucks having to navigate the increasingly congested Bloor Street.

Looks pretty good but these small improvements look like they were made in order to woo Councillors.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 12:35 AM

Nice. Love the rooftop plans. So the developer is going for 91 storeys now?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 2:06 AM
gettin' rich!

Increase the retail to 8 storeys from 4.

Not increase the tower by 8 storeys.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 7:10 PM

Some good news about this development.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/04/8...oward_reality/

"The size of the building, while huge even compared to surrounding buildings, was considered appropriate for its location between two major intersections on a busy artery."

"In the end, the group voted unanimously for refinements, not a total overhaul of the design."

Some comments from the DRP (Design Review Panel):

"Members felt that proposal was elegant and tasteful, but architecturally understated"

"Members felt the massing was relatively acceptable, but also that it was perhaps too rectilinear and reserved for a building that will have such a strong
presence upon the skyline
."

"At 80-storeys, they felt it was an opportunity to create a signature skyline building - ensure this opportunity is not missed - introduce more "adventure" into the tower expression"

More can be found at - http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2013/...tes_7mar13.pdf

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 8:10 PM

Thanks for the update. Mostly positive news from the DRP, but I like the design as is and hope the developer doesn't mess with it too much.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 8:36 PM

yeah toronto stepping up its game

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 1:42 PM
gettin' rich!

Wow a city report that tells the developer to go taller and crazy for an 80 Storey tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive