HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:20 AM

Wow. It's even more impressive from far away.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:26 AM

This is going to be an absolute monster looking across from Jersey.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

They could complete this as is, and it would already be an amazing piece of work.

APRIL 23, 2016

3. Tourism already exploding in the area...

6. When it's completely covered, most people will never know there are rails underneath...

11. 55 Hudson joining the party...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 8:41 PM

Nice shots NYguy.
It will be great to see the tower start to distinguish itself from the rest of the mall.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 12:51 AM

Great overview and update!!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:28 AM
Ex Houstonian

Jesus Christ, that site is huge and so complex, blows my mind.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:45 PM

Has there ever been talk of acquiring the site where all of those trailers are (to the right of the lower portion of the rail yards) to do similar development?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Has there ever been talk of acquiring the site where all of those trailers are (to the right of the lower portion of the rail yards) to do similar development?
That site is owned by the state and will likely eventually be redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 2:34 PM

^ I hope you're right and that it gets built upon but the very tail end of the Highline (you can see it from that birdseye) runs on it so there might be a push to get that space turned into a park.

There's a tendency to make everything into parks and plazas in the city now.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That site is owned by the state and will likely eventually be redeveloped.
There was a plan being put forward by the state to sell that land, but it was shelved. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Related come out with it. As you can see below,
they already have a vaguish site plan for it, similar to the development just south, potentially two residential towers, and another office tower.

http://www.hydc.org/html/adjacent/adjacent.shtml

Quote:
Javits Marshalling Yard

The full block between West 33rd Street and West 34th Street at Eleventh Avenue (the “Javits Marshalling Yard”), which is located within the Project Area,
is currently used for truck marshalling and storage for the Javits Convention Center. The Javits Marshalling Yard has not yet been made available for development.

The Convention Center Development Corporation (a subsidiary of ESDC), which owns the Javits Convention Center and the Javits Marshalling Yard, is
updating its environmental review of the Javits Marshalling Yard in anticipation of issuing a request for proposals for private development in the future

Related's site plan...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Related's slightly different site plan isn't showing the office tower of the second phase. Another sign they may be hoping to shift it to the site north. But of course,
the plans are constantly changing. Next month could be something else.

http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/the-story

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 12:24 PM

An incredible drone clip from Casey Neistat's vlog. The clip begins at 0:09 https://youtu.be/BUVCrWIDpt8

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 6:24 AM

Just wanted to interject here and say amazing pictures of the construction site lately! I'm dreaming of one day working here at 30 Hudson Yards. It's like the a 21st century midtown WTC (nothing can compare-- but you know what I mean)... I'll be visiting in June and if I have any pictures worthy to contribute, I'll definitely do so!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...n-icelands-gdp

When complete, Hudson Yards will contribute $18.9 billion to the city—more than Iceland's GDP
The developer behind the massive project Related Cos. commissioned a study to examine its economic impact on New York

By Joe Anuta '
May 2, 2016

Quote:
The company behind the $20 billion Hudson Yards development on Manhattan's West Side expects economic activity there to eventually rival the gross domestic product of Iceland, according to an analysis released Monday.

Related Cos. is aiming to finish the project between West 30th and West 34th streets—which includes 10.4 million square feet of office space, eight residential buildings, a cultural center and retail—by 2025. A study commissioned by the developer indicated that total economic output of the companies projected to occupy Hudson Yards will contribute $18.9 billion to the city's gross domestic product. Iceland's gross domestic product is $15.3 billion.

"Ten years ago, New York City placed a very large bet on the development of Hudson Yards," the study said. "Three years into a 14-year construction program ... the bet is beginning to pay off."

The economic analysis was conducted by Manhattan consulting firm Appleseed, and was broken out into three sections including a variety of stats and predictions.

During the 14-year build-out period, for example, the report estimated that 2,767 construction jobs would be created annually. Once the complex is fully operational, Hudson Yards is expected to be home to 56,000 full-time employees earning an annual total of $9.8 billion, or an average of more than $175,000 per worker. The report also detailed the money that will go to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which owns the rail yards underneath a platform on which most of Hudson Yards will be built.

During the construction period, Related will fork over a total of $1.8 billion in lease payments to the MTA. Once the project is complete, those payments will be $89 million annually. The developer will also give the authority payments in lieu of taxes totaling $68 million each year that the city will use to pay down its portion of the debt service for the No. 7 train extension, which opened late last year but has since encountered water leaks.

Many projections in the report are contingent on a host of economic indicators in the city, including demand for Class A office space. Out of the 10.4 million square feet Related will have to lease up, so far it has locked in commitments from tenants for 4 million square feet.

The report states the outdoor portion of the observation deck will be above 1,100 ft.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 8:37 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

A PDF as a supplement to the article above.

Just some extra data:

Also an economic report: https://www.scribd.com/doc/311107012...ort#fullscreen

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:03 PM

Those numbers are insane. What makes them even more impressive is that they are referring only to the portion of Hudson Yards being built by Related over the rail yards, rather than the broader Hudson Yards district as a whole (i.e., all of Hudson Boulevard and the newly built area between 30th and 42nd on the West Side).

I'd love to see these statistics adjusted to incorporate the full district. Does anyone know the total square footage of commercial office being added? I'd guess that the Related portion represents less than 1/3 of what will end up getting built here.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The foot traffic will really balloon as well for the area. The high line is really crowded already, and this, along with the mall, shed, Javits, observation deck, workers, and so on will make it a hectic place. Not that it isn't already, but the traffic in terms of pedestrians will increase.

I remember hearing a figure of 450 million sq feet of office in Manhattan or something around that range. IDK what year it was for, but I'm sure we are reaching the point of 500 million. Factor that in with the booming business nodes such as DoBro and LIC, and its a big value. Lower Manhattan alone I believe is the 3rd largest CBD after the Loop.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 10:40 PM

Its crazy how billions are being spent but the thousands of passengers who ride Megabus and Boltbus every day dont even get a simple shelter.

I dont see anything in the plans about accommodating the bus passengers. I guess they dont matter,

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

When it comes to transit, it will get much worse before it gets better. You'd think that they would look at a system that's is over the capacity, delays, in need of an upgrade... not just for the bus but for trains/subway in general, and say that we need an upgrade and now?

Nope. All they do is talk and address the problem, but never a solution. And if there is a proposal, its tied in an endless bureaucratic nightmare and costs swell up, time tables are non existent nor enforced, and its back to square one.

Transit is political, and like anything that's political, it doesn't go anywhere. The private sector should take control of transit.

So really, its going to get a loooooot worse. Just wait and see. Keep an eye on the lines heading into Queens and Brooklyn. While those areas are booming, and have seen unprecedented growth in the last 10 years, the strain on transit routes is apparent. The L and 7 train routes are terrible.

I can't wait until we need those subway pushers like in Japan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive