HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 7:16 AM

^^He does not have a hang up over height, and he did not say anything negitive about 830. In fact he seemed quite positive about the design of the final product. He also agrees that West Loop Gate is full of bad developements, caused in part by the height limitations. He is a big proponent of allocating space for retail, decent size stuff not just more "cleaners and Dunkin' Doughnuts". He could be telling me what I want to hear, but I think he is true to his word. We will have a good discusion of this and 830 come when we meet with him. The more people we have, the better the discussion will be.

He wants to have community groups involved earlier in the design process, because he belives if they walk through the process, they won't be as opposed to large scale developments. I'm not so sure about that, beacuse South Loop Neighbors would never let 830 get to its final design, however 910and 888 South Michigan are quite happy with the tall and thin tower which preserves thier views. Bob mentioned "you would like it too if you lived in 910.", and that "anytime someone loses a view, they get pretty pissed off."

He also seems to like Sam Assafia, who of course brought tall and thin into city hall.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 8:40 AM

don't expect this building to come before the plan commission in March, because it isn't.

Tonight at the 2nd Ward Aldermanic forum, it was mentioned that there will be a meeting on the project MARCH 14 at Grace Place.

I can't believe that the current alderman is wavering on this project. Back in June, she seemed to be in full support of the tower. Tonight she said that "it's too tall". She even compared it to the Sears Tower, which made me scoff out loud. This building has 20% the volume of Sears. I don't know what the fuck she's talking about, or what's going on, but it appears that we might have a fight on our hands.

One of the questions at the meeting was about 830 South Michigan. I liked David Askew's response the best. He said the South Loop plan needs to be revised or reviewed to meet the needs of the changing community.

I hope that some of you on this forum will attent the meeting to support the project. Unfortunately some of the people on this forum are all talk and no action. Practice what you preach, get off your ass and this forum for once, and come out to help us support the projects that you all claim to like so much.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
don't expect this building to come before the plan commission in March, because it isn't.

Tonight at the 2nd Ward Aldermanic forum, it was mentioned that there will be a meeting on the project MARCH 14 at Grace Place.

I can't believe that the current alderman is wavering on this project. Back in June, she seemed to be in full support of the tower. Tonight she said that "it's too tall". She even compared it to the Sears Tower, which made me scoff out loud. This building has 20% the volume of Sears. I don't know what the fuck she's talking about, or what's going on, but it appears that we might have a fight on our hands.

One of the questions at the meeting was about 830 South Michigan. I liked David Askew's response the best. He said the South Loop plan needs to be revised or reviewed to meet the needs of the changing community.

I hope that some of you on this forum will attent the meeting to support the project. Unfortunately some of the people on this forum are all talk and no action. Practice what you preach, get off your ass and this forum for once, and come out to help us support the projects that you all claim to like so much.
I will be there to give my full support for the project.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I will be there to give my full support for the project.
tell them that you want to drop something from the top of it after it is completed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 12:55 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Although her wavering is very disappointing, it's hardly surprising since we are right before the election and by all accounts she is in the fight of her career...this is one project in which I think the Daley administration and DPD need to show strong support for and really push hard for. The reason why this is such a great project is precisely because of its height...is is circumstances like these - a very special project - when aldermanic prerogative should meet up against its limits...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 1:04 AM
you know where I'll be

Another thing to keep in mind regarding haithcock: in addition to being right before the election, we are also right on the heels of the shmucks on prairie ave who are all in an uproar over XO being approved forming their own NIMBY group and lobbying for her to (I assume) somehow stop the project (even though I can't see how that would be a legal possibility. This is no doubt impacting her current wavering, and not wishing to lose 1 more vote...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 2:06 AM

when is the election again?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
when is the election again?
2/27

SSDD

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:03 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
2/27

SSDD
SSDD?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
SSDD?
i don't know what it means, but it is part of headcase's sig, or at least is at the end of all his posts as far as i can tell.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 5:11 PM
Marina City

SSDD probably means "same shit diferent day"

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
SSDD?
Same Shit, Different Day.

Nothing to do with this post, I just happen to put it at the end of almost everything I do online.

SSDD

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 2:21 AM
BANNED

Anything new here?

I would hate to see this thing drop to page 3.

Last edited by bnk; Mar 4, 2007 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 7:03 PM
THAT Guy

I don't know, but I think the developers are in a bad situation now until the elections are resolved, and even then they might have problems.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 11:05 PM
you know where I'll be

This is the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't know, but I think the developers are in a bad situation now until the elections are resolved, and even then they might have problems.

I really think this is the one project where we all need to jump in and advocate strongly for...I plan on attending the March 14 meeting (if it's still on - I'm not sure if they would delay because of the run-off) and I hope a lot of others come out as well...The city needs to step to the plate here as well and get Assefa out there educating the people that need educating (the McClendon's of the Ward) who just can't seem to cope with the fact that this is a great project as designed and planned...of all the "controversial" projects out there right now, this is the one worth fighting for!!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 11:07 PM
you know where I'll be

And remember, the one aspect, above all others, that makes this such a worth project is the very thing that gets some of the NIMBYs so upset - it's height - this is where an education campaign from the administration, dpd and assefa come into play...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:26 AM

Chicago knows whats up!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:35 PM

I believe that the March 14th meeting has been put on hold.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 2:58 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Think the 2nd Ward runoff aldermanic election has anything to do with it? Naw - Its the 21st Century and Chicago has a fully transparent election process, right? Look for this after the Runoff. When is that late April?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:01 AM

Today walking by I noticed that they put up overhead protection on the walkway of the YMCA and started some minor demolition or something because the facade's in really bad shape, with some extensive damage around the base.
The construction sign in front also showed that logo for park michigan, so hopefully this is progress.

Last edited by BorisMolotov; Mar 31, 2007 at 12:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive