HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
Coming 2023. Dramatic redesign. Love the high doors on the floor level. The trees at the top are a bit much, but whatever. Overall that website is an add for my neighborhood living 1 block away. This will impact my view a bit so I'm in no hurry.
Working 1/2 block from Kinzie/Clark I look forward to the "pedestrian thoroughfares"

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Friedman also envisions turning the property into the centerpiece of a three-block "network of pedestrian thoroughfares" he is calling "the Mews" running along alleys from Grand Avenue to Kinzie Street, according to a Cushman marketing flyer. The alleys, which include popular neighborhood spots like Three Dots and a Dash and Ramen-San, would "encourage exploration and provide access to food and beverage experiences utilizing upgraded landscaping, paving, lighting and public art," Cushman said in a statement.
Oh really, that's what he's calling it?

Ironically, that's the name of the passageway that'll be in the new office building going up at Lake & Green.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Oh really, that's what he's calling it?

Ironically, that's the name of the passageway that'll be in the new office building going up at Lake & Green.
Not surprising. Its become such a popular term nowadays for that style of urban redevelopment. The name refers to the back alley carriage ways in central London in and around Soho - which have also been fashionably redeveloped.

Last edited by kolchak; Jan 28, 2020 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:39 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I like the idea of "The Mews" regardless of the name. I've long thought the alleys in those blocks could be activated to create some additional interest in the area to offset the unrelenting grid.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I like the idea of "The Mews" regardless of the name. I've long thought the alleys in those blocks could be activated to create some additional interest in the area to offset the unrelenting grid.
walking into alleys in Chicago.... yuck.... but I'm sure they will make it nice.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Is there something different about the alleys in this area than elsewhere downtown? It would be cool to do this with a lot of the underused alleyways downtown, like you said it would add an interesting layer to the existing grid. But I imagine the VAST majority are still using for loading/unloading/garbage disposal... I can only think of a couple that are unofficial thorough fares without much utilitarian activity (near Chicago Theater, near Quincy brownline)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Is there something different about the alleys in this area than elsewhere downtown? It would be cool to do this with a lot of the underused alleyways downtown, like you said it would add an interesting layer to the existing grid. But I imagine the VAST majority are still using for loading/unloading/garbage disposal... I can only think of a couple that are unofficial thorough fares without much utilitarian activity (near Chicago Theater, near Quincy brownline)
Chicago alleys are proper utilitarian alleys for garbage and such, so that we don't have garbage piled on the streets like NYC.

Garbage has to go somewhere. I'd rather keep it in the back than make all the alleys hip beer gardens and the trash out front.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Chicago alleys are proper utilitarian alleys for garbage and such, so that we don't have garbage piled on the streets like NYC.

Garbage has to go somewhere. I'd rather keep it in the back than make all the alleys hip beer gardens and the trash out front.
It would require some planning and coordination, but I think with good planning you could activate some of the alleys while maintaining their functional use, too. Trash bins are already mostly set back from the pathway portion of alleys so that vehicles can traverse. If you limited/coordinated the hours for delivery drivers, that can be managed, too. As the article mentioned, places like Three Dots and a Dash already utilize alleyways, and they're not alone. There are alleys in the Loop also treated like actual streets or at least made more welcoming for pedestrian use, with their own names, like Benton Place, Arcade Place, and Couch Place - those are so heavily traveled that there are Google Streetviews of them. Then there are alleys fully given over the being streets, like Quincy St. and Financial Place.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
It would require some planning and coordination, but I think with good planning you could activate some of the alleys while maintaining their functional use, too. Trash bins are already mostly set back from the pathway portion of alleys so that vehicles can traverse. If you limited/coordinated the hours for delivery drivers, that can be managed, too. As the article mentioned, places like Three Dots and a Dash already utilize alleyways, and they're not alone. There are alleys in the Loop also treated like actual streets or at least made more welcoming for pedestrian use, with their own names, like Benton Place, Arcade Place, and Couch Place - those are so heavily traveled that there are Google Streetviews of them. Then there are alleys fully given over the being streets, like Quincy St. and Financial Place.
Alleys are ... alleys .... they are a vital part of the urban fabric, and even the River North nightlife ( e.g. next to Rossi's ). MEWs are NOT alleys.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:06 PM

As they currently are, Chicago's alleys are the ultimate gritty urban landscape. Leave them be!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Alleys are ... alleys .... they are a vital part of the urban fabric, and even the River North nightlife ( e.g. next to Rossi's ). MEWs are NOT alleys.
Yeah, I think this is the right take. Friedman's description sounds a little more marketing speak than comprehensive plan. Like, they know having 3 dots out the back door is a marketable asset, and maybe the building makes some gestures toward engaging with the alley, but it is still an alley mostly filled with dumpsters for the restaurants on Clark. The mews through the green street building is a purpose built space that is very much not an alley

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
1125 W Van Buren
Looks like a slight re-design
Driving inbound on the Ike today I saw a few workers and a Taylor company excavator on site.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Yeah, I think this is the right take. Friedman's description sounds a little more marketing speak than comprehensive plan. Like, they know having 3 dots out the back door is a marketable asset, and maybe the building makes some gestures toward engaging with the alley, but it is still an alley mostly filled with dumpsters for the restaurants on Clark. The mews through the green street building is a purpose built space that is very much not an alley
I'll shoot a set soon but the pieces are already in place - not gritty alleys.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:05 AM
TL;DR

Just saw a great example of this at the Dairy Block in Denver. Definitely possible to conceal the service elements (trash rooms, electric meters, etc) in internal areas and restrict deliveries to certain hours. You get a wonderful synergy between businesses on a narrow street that you just don't get with normal, wide streets - even if they are closed to traffic.

Melbourne is really the key example for this, they basically turned block after block of "laneways" into pedestrian streets with fine-grained shops and restaurants, while the main streets tend to have larger buildings with big lobbies, porte-cocheres, and other (relatively) pedestrian-unfriendly things.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:17 AM

I'm hearing rumors of a'Wired Hotel' for the 1111 W. Carroll (City Tech Center) project.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I'm hearing rumors of a'Wired Hotel' for the 1111 W. Carroll (City Tech Center) project.
This?
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-fulton-market

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:16 PM

I love alleys being used for things other than unloading and trash. Watching people walk down them and there being some businesses along them remind me of scenes from Tokyo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Just saw a great example of this at the Dairy Block in Denver. Definitely possible to conceal the service elements (trash rooms, electric meters, etc) in internal areas and restrict deliveries to certain hours. You get a wonderful synergy between businesses on a narrow street that you just don't get with normal, wide streets - even if they are closed to traffic.

Melbourne is really the key example for this, they basically turned block after block of "laneways" into pedestrian streets with fine-grained shops and restaurants, while the main streets tend to have larger buildings with big lobbies, porte-cocheres, and other (relatively) pedestrian-unfriendly things.
Basically we are creating more street level retail with this alley/mews thing. One thing Chicago does not need more of... vacant street level retail.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:39 PM
All-American City Boy

I'd prefer they'd put the loop underground and turn the loop el tracks into a giant walkable path with shops and restaurants instead of modifying the alleys in the city.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I'd prefer they'd put the loop underground and turn the loop el tracks into a giant walkable path with shops and restaurants instead of modifying the alleys in the city.
Well that would be very cool but I think activating alleyways is at least feasible if not unlikely.

But good point, west-town-brand, more retail is not a good idea. But a Low Line type pathway could offer some cool alternative routes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations