HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post

Are there any elevations available of this tower? We could then see how slender the narrow face of the tower is.
Someone might have them, but if I remember correctly the tower itself is 80' X 100'

SSDD

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 5:35 AM
Chaos Machine

Ok, so the tower portion of the building is 80' at its narrowest, but that doesn't mean that the base of the tower isn't significantly wider, right? The parking lot currently there is ~110' wide N-S.. so the total building overall has slightly less than an 8:1 slenderness ratio.. which is slender, but not that slender for a reinforced concrete building. I'd say the slender portion of the building isn't more than about 700' tall.

I am working on a reinforced concrete supertall building that has a roughly 9:1 slenderness ratio AND leans out cantilevering over 20+ feet at the top. We have some thick shear walls at the base, but it really isn't that complex.

We have no tuned mass damper either..
This tower is definitely doable, regardless of where it is in the city.

I say there is more going on, or they had a half ass engineering job to begin with, which seems unlikely since P/H has done highrise buildings before, although not as tall.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 5:51 AM
Registered

^ That supertall wouldn't - ahem - be anywhere in Illinois would it?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 6:02 AM
Chaos Machine

^No. Not even close.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 6:17 AM
Registered

^ Ah, shucks. I was hoping to get a few more details on the ultra-secret Pandemonious Chicago supertall rumor. If that thing officially dies, please let us know so that we can take it off the "rumored supertall list".

Anyway, in keeping with this line of discussion, the government-rejected, 80-story tower once proposed for the Athletic Assocaition just off of Michigan Avenue had an awesome 11.5:1 slenderness, in nearly identical conditions as Park Michigan. It never got as far as wind tunnel, but it was going to be fine. The system was steel frame with concrete core and a few additional shear walls.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
^No. Not even close.
If I had to guess, this would be in Dubai.
I really wish Park Michigan would pull through. I have my fingers crossed!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:53 AM

edit: news already posted

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:27 PM
THAT Guy

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28421

Plan for South Loop condo tower takes a hit
By Eddie Baeb and Thomas A. Corfman
March 01, 2008

Plans for an 80-story condominium tower that would overlook Grant Park on South Michigan Avenue are in doubt after a lender filed a foreclosure lawsuit, seeking to recoup more than $4.25 million.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 6:37 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Obviously its disappointing as its a great height and a nice looking tower but hopefully we can still get a a 45- 60fl. building there and maybe more in that range behind the Michigan streetwall south of the CNA and the Colombian.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 7:17 PM

^Maybe a competent developer will invest in the project and move forward. There's still hope.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
^Maybe a competent developer will invest in the project and move forward. There's still hope.
Second that!!! Same goes for 1000 S. Michigan.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 3:33 AM

...they do seem very confident at least. I really hope this goes through at 80....the south loop really needs it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet cm View Post
Second that!!! Same goes for 1000 S. Michigan.

Yea...what i cant undertand is that 1000 S. Michigan actually had like 60 or 70% sold...how he couldnt find a lender with those numbers is beyond me..and this was quite awhile...before the housing bust

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 5:49 PM
Registered

If they could have at least gotten city approval for this project, it would bode much better for someone else stepping in to pick it up. As it is now, I don't think the odds of it being built as envisioned are very good.

Too bad, of the three in jeopardy now (680 Rush, Mandarin, Park Michigan), this was the project I liked the most.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 6:26 PM

^Word.

The biggest mistake with this one was getting the proposal out of the gates too late. Had it been a serious proposal a year earlier, it would have been approved and probably be in a similar situation with X/O. This proposal however was dragged into the 2nd ward elections and become a political football. Fioretti never made a public announcement during the election season that he would kill it, but I suspect he is using this project as a bargaining chip to get William Barr to fix the window leakage problem at 1717 Prairie, which has now gotten attention.

Personally, I feel the foreclosure is the final nail in the coffin on this awesome tower. Barr really doesn't have any major assets that I can think of in the city for liquidation to raise the cash he needs ASAP. Perhaps he can dump unsold units at Vision on state to an auction or something, perhaps he has suburban property to sell. I cannot see him picking up investors who will make up the lions share of the financing on a project that has no guarantee of political approval. Anyway, that is just my opinion, I could be way off base.

My assessment: If the bank doesn't take back the land, Barr will sell the site and use the cash to move forward on Park 1000. Despite the weak market, product in good locations, (particularly those with unobstructed views forever) still sells. This building will have buyers if it ever moves forward, regardless of who the developer is.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Mar 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
If they could have at least gotten city approval for this project, it would bode much better for someone else stepping in to pick it up. As it is now, I don't think the odds of it being built as envisioned are very good.

Too bad, of the three in jeopardy now (680 Rush, Mandarin, Park Michigan), this was the project I liked the most.
yeah, as much as i hate p/h this one seems pretty nice for my 'hood.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 6:27 PM
Chicagotom SSC

This one is DEAD

* moderator edit *

tom, the link to the crain's article you posted was already posted by spyguy on the previous page of this thread. always remember to read through a thread before you post articles to see if someone has posted them before you, thanks.

- steely

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post

They couldn't get approval before the election, and we all know what happened after the election in terms of PD approvals in the 2nd ward.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Chicagotom SSC

My bad. Didn't see it. It's a shame that this one isn't going to be built. I think that it was one of the better designs of the boom.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 11:08 PM

This is a prime spot for a tall building.........lets just wait until the real-estate mess gets worked out. Chicago will have another building boom, and who knows??........The building in this spot, could or might, be taller, or have a better design.
I'm sad too!! I was hoping this one would be built in the current boom....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive