HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:44 PM

I am interested in seeing the design of the tower that will replace The Tavernacle. Do we know when they will be available? Is this just a rumor or a done deal?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:58 AM

Report: Downtown Salt Lake headed for growth despite losing millions in vistor spending from COVID-19

https://www.ksl.com/article/50090639...-from-covid-19

Quote:
ALT LAKE CITY — Despite setbacks — including a devastating windstorm, an earthquake and a pandemic – downtown Salt Lake City continues to grow, according to data released by the Downtown Alliance Tuesday in its 2020 State of Downtown report.

"Salt Lake City is well-positioned among western U.S. cities to attract talent, employers and capital," Kim Abrams, a vice president at Goldman Sachs, said during the online event broadcast from the Capitol Theatre.
Here is the link to the 2020 State of Downtown report.

From the current and future projects, I think only the Union Pacific Hotel and Kensington Tower are the only ones that aren't currently under construction.

Normally, this information is given during the summer. It was delayed nearly 6 months due to COVID.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:21 AM

The Vue Apartments

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

A new development in the Euclid Neighborhood has filed with the Planning Commission for a Transit Station Development.

Project Description:
Quote:
We are requesting review of the TSA score for a multi-family development located at 820 West 200 South. The project consists of 218 low-income residential units on five levels over an underground parking garage with 131 parking stalls.
Quote:
The property is currently occupied by single-family housing. There are a series of eight lots being combined for this development along with the vacation of a portion of 800 West. This project has gone through many iterations and is now to a point where it can proceed with all appropriate speed for approval and construction.

The building has been designed to meet administrative approval requirements for the TSA Zone.
Project Images/ Renderings

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:27 PM
Space Magi

Nice shot of 650 Main construction in the Trib yesterday:

Also, MVE posted a recent photo of the Post District site:

Last edited by Atlas; Jan 20, 2021 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:17 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
A new development in the Euclid Neighborhood has filed with the Planning Commission for a Transit Station Development.

[B]Project Description:

Project Images/ Renderings
Thanks Blah. This has been stewing for a while. I think it's pretty great. Importantly, it's the first underground parking garage in North Temple district. No woody walk up, good finishes, some nice landscaping. Pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:18 PM

Even by Los Angeles standards, I am amazed at the amount of new development announcements and construction along the Wasatch Front!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:07 PM

I'm very excited about the Post District. It's a massive project that encompasses an entire city block in an area that has always been in need of some vibrance (given that it's your first taste of SLC off the freeway exit).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:03 PM

Demo work has begun on this project on 300 E 25 S.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 4:59 AM

Took some photographs of 95 S state st. today (01/20/2021)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:26 AM

I hope 95 State has floor to ceiling curtains like 222. Y’know, make the tower feel a little more lived n worked in.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:37 AM

I was trying to think where a signature tower would look best in SLC. Anyone else think the current federal reserve bank on the southwest corner of State and 100s would be the perfect spot for a tower like this one day?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmloverking View Post
Took some photographs of 95 S state st. today (01/20/2021)

Great photos!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:55 PM

Hopefully not a repost -

Quote:
pentalonconstructionutah is pleased to announce the groundbreaking of the new lotus republic apartment building. Located East Downtown will soon see new residential construction along the South Temple – 100 South corridor. At 25 South 300 East, Lotus Republic will add 80 market-rate apartments to what may already be the densest residential area in the state.

The podium + 5 story mixed-use building will house 56 micro (460 sf) and 24 1-bdrm (740 sf) units. The project provides 80 parking stalls for a 1 : 1 ratio.

On the ground floor, 1168 sf of retail space will house the Republic Taphouse.
https://www.facebook.com/PentalonCon...1305992485825/

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Is this where the massage school was? The project looks great for mid-block infill. I like that they have a tap room at ground level too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:32 PM
Space Magi

Lotus has been building some good stuff lately. I visited Ogden River Brewing over the holidays and liked it a lot, and I know they're working on another brewery (Fife) on 700 S in SLC (between Main and State, I think). On top of the breweries, they have the above project, at least two more residential projects in Sugar House and on 300 E, and a couple of adaptive reuse office projects in Ogden.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:22 PM

Hey everyone, I thought this was worth bringing up here. There's a bill being proposed for the legislature this session that would basically give billboard companies free reign to create electronic billboards. It would allow billboard companies to upgrade ANY conforming OR non-comforting (so basically ANY billboard) to an electronic billboard. The only control it would give to municipalities is the ability to set a 12am-6am "curfew" on the electronic billboards, but this is void if it is near a freeway, over 150 feet away from a residential area, but only if that residential area is zoned exclusively for residential (I interpret that as meaning if there is residential in a mixed-use area, they can't impose a curfew). We all know Utah is already way way too billboard-friendly and this is one of the worst billboard bills proposed yet. I have no idea how much consideration it's getting, but given how powerful Reagan Advertising is among our legislature, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets serious consideration.

I'm hoping that with enough attention given to this, we can barrage our legislators with enough angry emails we could convince them to kill it. I've had enough of the pro-billboard legislation in this state.

Here's the test if anyone would like to read it specifically:
https://le.utah.gov/~2021/bills/static/SB0061.html

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Is this where the massage school was? The project looks great for mid-block infill. I like that they have a tap room at ground level too.
Yes, this is going where the massage school was. They also have this planned across the street:

https://lotuscompany.com/property_ventures/lotus-300/

I lived at Lotus South Temple for a few years and it's right around the corner. Is it common for companies to group up developments like this?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:54 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Demo work has begun on this project on 300 E 25 S.
I am hoping this project will spurn interest in this area. This block, and the block directly to the west need complete updates and overhauls.

Other than St Marks to the west, the blocks are complete messes with parking lots galore and wasted space.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
The true owner is Timberlane Partners (https://timberlanepartners.com/), who owns The Morton. If my sources are correct, the money behind the project is a company called Convexity out of Chicago.

I think design is well progressed, but I don't know what the street engagement will be like.
I'm excited to see what they got planned. With demolition scheduled this summer, I'm hoping that means we will get plans this Spring.

As far as The Tavernacle is concerned, I understand a lot of you may have a connection to that place. However, to be fair, the building its located in is just a little better than a strip mall. If someone tried to build that same building now in the CBD everyone here would lose their minds. I'm hoping they choose to relocate, since there will likely be spaces opening up with some of the other places that have closed in the city due to C-19.

I think it is becoming clear that buildings 4 floors and under in the Central Business District are now on genuine 'notice for redevelopment' (except a few notable historic structures). At the rate we are going, I suspect a majority will be gone within the next 15 years or so.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Jan 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layrasm View Post
I'm very excited about the Post District. It's a massive project that encompasses an entire city block in an area that has always been in need of some vibrance (given that it's your first taste of SLC off the freeway exit).

I personally love Post House and the entire Post District plan (even with the billboards). I think think the architecture is so cool and very unique for Utah. It represents a huge step-up for mid-density architecture in Salt Lake and I don't see how local developers after it can excuse their often lazy take on architectural design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West