HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:54 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen pickled tongue (slices? strips? chunks?). “Waterloo County” was more pickled sausage territory.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
When you are young, you often wonder what the future will hold and what we will be doing and I was the same. There is one thing however that I never imagined............that most of the stations will still be playing the same music I was brought up in and most of the kids listen to it more than they do their modern crap.

In 50 years they will still be playing the same music I grew up with and everything post 2000 will have been long since forgotten and justifiably so. This is one of those odd memories that are not rose-coloured.............the music since the late 1990s really has been absolute crap and the music of the mid-60s to late 80s really will always be considered the "Golden Age" of music and nothing will ever change that.
LOL you are so out of touch it hurts! Sure thing buddy I betcha people were saying that about 50s music back in the 80s. Oh yeah, and the Charleston will never go out of style, see!

Anyway the reason why you're still hearing only 70s-90s "oldies" on the radio is because the demographic of radio listeners hasn't aged along side the music. Do you honestly think people in their 20s and 30s are the bulk of the listeners of FM radio? Let alone "most of the kids"? Let me introduce you to something wild, they all listen to this new fangled thing called "streaming music". It's music piped in over the internet ya see!

And this is coming from a 30-something who agrees with your preference for 70s and 90s music.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 12:50 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

My teenaged kids most definitely do not listen to "my" music.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 12:55 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
LOL you are so out of touch it hurts! Sure thing buddy I betcha people were saying that about 50s music back in the 80s. Oh yeah, and the Charleston will never go out of style, see!
The 'best music' is whatever people were listening to when they were 13-15. Usually, anyway. Formational years and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues
Let me introduce you to something wild, they all listen to this new fangled thing called "streaming music". It's music piped in over the internet ya see!
Enjoyed this.

I don't know how people can listen to standard FM radio. And morning talk shows or whatever radio hosts in the morning are called these days? Yuck.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:37 AM
sick transit, gloria

One of my favourite podcasts now is about nu-metal. I loved that shit when I was 13 so it's extremely nostalgic. It's also very Bad Music and the podcast hosts who are around my age have similar views. It's great. If my potential future kids like nu-metal I'd have some very serious questions.

Errr... if anyone is actually interested check out the P.O.D. Kast https://thepodkast.libsyn.com/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 2:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
When you are young, you often wonder what the future will hold and what we will be doing and I was the same. There is one thing however that I never imagined............that most of the stations will still be playing the same music I was brought up in and most of the kids listen to it more than they do their modern crap.

In 50 years they will still be playing the same music I grew up with and everything post 2000 will have been long since forgotten and justifiably so. This is one of those odd memories that are not rose-coloured.............the music since the late 1990s really has been absolute crap and the music of the mid-60s to late 80s really will always be considered the "Golden Age" of music and nothing will ever change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The 'best music' is whatever people were listening to when they were 13-15. Usually, anyway. Formational years and whatnot.
I don't know how people can listen to standard FM radio. And morning talk shows or whatever radio hosts in the morning are called these days? Yuck.
Yes it's true, music from the formative years has special influence because that's when your tastes were formed. Ssiguy the radio stations you listen to are targeting your demographic. However, today there is more accessibility, many more ways to listen to music, more specialized and curated choices than in the pre internet days. The music is more varied and available, not so dependent on large record corporations for production and distribution, and sixties or seventies music etc. has become just another genre.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:00 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
i disagree.

People were always this way, now we just have a way to do it.
Nonsense. None of those photos depict a cafe. You showed people on the street or commuting. In all likelihood, they don't even know the person next to them. People, back in the day, did read newspapers daily from front to back. But when they went to a cafe they talked to each other. The generation today would rather be on their phones than talk to the person right in front of them. That's VERY different than how things were before.

Your 20th century memories (pre-2000) are a little cloudy. Or are you talking about an era you weren't even alive to experience?

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 31, 2020 at 4:13 AM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:10 AM

It's true, younger people talk surprisingly little because they are stuck on their phones.

I like to call it "anti-social" media................it allows you to communicate with everyone and talk to no one.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:12 PM

Cool thread idea.

re: pickled eggs and sausages at taverns..Man, it's been a minute since I've seen them displayed on or behind a bar..Usually next to the salt and vinegar chips.
When my wife and I ,along with another couple, tripped down to Montreal maybe 12 years ago, we split up and my pal and I discovered a cool little bar near the old forum called "Grumpy's" Everybody was singing along to some random tracks being played.It was like Cheers..Anybody from Montreal hear of this place?..Also, here in Ottawa there is a place called the Prescott Tavern..2 days before our wedding, I brought my out of town dad there for a quart. He loved it there! If anything, because the server had one of them old school change dispensers on his belt. That, the big bottles of Molsons, and the tavern itself put a smile on his face. I vaguely remember when those change dispensers were a thing, but my father just smiled and reminisced when he saw it still being used..It brought him back I guess.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Cool thread idea.

re: pickled eggs and sausages at taverns..Man, it's been a minute since I've seen them displayed on or behind a bar..Usually next to the salt and vinegar chips.
When my wife and I ,along with another couple, tripped down to Montreal maybe 12 years ago, we split up and my pal and I discovered a cool little bar near the old forum called "Grumpy's" Everybody was singing along to some random tracks being played.It was like Cheers..Anybody from Montreal hear of this place?..Also, here in Ottawa there is a place called the Prescott Tavern......
Renowned for its meatball sandwich.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Renowned for its meatball sandwich.
the pizza isn't that great there.....but nobody goes there for high end cuisine.

The Prescott and the Carleton are probably responsible for 90 + % of all draft 50 and/or Ex sold in Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 3:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I remember in the 1960s the height of culinary art (at least in Charlottetown) was to go out to the Bonnie Brae restaurant in Cornwall for a hot turkey sandwich, complete with peas and gravy. We did it several times a year and it was always a major event (involving putting on better clothes, a drive in a car and best manners).

Those were the days.........

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:54 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
the pizza isn't that great there.....but nobody goes there for high end cuisine.

The Prescott and the Carleton are probably responsible for 90 + % of all draft 50 and/or Ex sold in Ottawa.
Meanwhile the Laff (Chateau Laffayette) and Dirty Dom (Dominion Tavern) are likely responsible for 90% of Labbatt 50 quart bottles!

Also pre-COVID you could very much go to a small bar and have conversations with random people about pretty much anything. Just sit at the bar.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Meanwhile the Laff (Chateau Laffayette) and Dirty Dom (Dominion Tavern) are likely responsible for 90% of Labbatt 50 quart bottles!

Also pre-COVID you could very much go to a small bar and have conversations with random people about pretty much anything. Just sit at the bar.
Oh yeah, I forgot about those two places. I've been to the Carleton and Prescott more times than the Laff or Dominion Tavern.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...oiowCnoECA8QAw

I think Molson would be at home here. Note the salt shakers on the table for those who want to put salt into their beer

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Cool thread idea.

When my wife and I ,along with another couple, tripped down to Montreal maybe 12 years ago, we split up and my pal and I discovered a cool little bar near the old forum called "Grumpy's" Everybody was singing along to some random tracks being played.It was like Cheers..Anybody from Montreal hear of this place?..Also, here in Ottawa there is a place called the Prescott Tavern..2 days before our wedding, I brought my out of town dad there for a quart. He loved it there! If anything, because the server had one of them old school change dispensers on his belt. That, the big bottles of Molsons, and the tavern itself put a smile on his face. I vaguely remember when those change dispensers were a thing, but my father just smiled and reminisced when he saw it still being used..It brought him back I guess.
I think Grumpy's was Mordecai Richler's watering hole.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Cool thread idea.

Grumpy's is a watering hole on Crescent Street. The three horsemen (Bon vivants) of St. Urbain, Mordecai Richler, Nick Auf de Maur, and Ted Blackman used to haunt the place (as well as nearby Ziggy's Pub). I drank with these dudes several times. Wow, the conversations were awesome (and the mockery of Jacques Parizeau was beyond legendary).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 5:44 PM

My teenage formative years were in the 90s but I try my best not to be one of those "new music is crap" old men. There's a lot of good new stuff out there even if you're into the rock genre. Reignwolf is a recent personal favourite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
One of my favourite podcasts now is about nu-metal. I loved that shit when I was 13 so it's extremely nostalgic. It's also very Bad Music and the podcast hosts who are around my age have similar views. It's great. If my potential future kids like nu-metal I'd have some very serious questions.

Errr... if anyone is actually interested check out the P.O.D. Kast https://thepodkast.libsyn.com/
The P.O.D. Kast

Love the name. There's some legitimately good diamonds in the nu metal rough (e.g. System of a Down) but most of it was absolute trash. Sounds like a fun listen.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 6:52 PM

Remember back in the day when the cars have wildly different shapes, sizes, colours, and even engines and you could actually name the car because of it? Now all cars are slanted, small, 4 door sedans................truly a study in beige.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think Grumpy's was Mordecai Richler's watering hole.
A well acquainted eye will notice that they filmed the bar scenes in the film adaptation of Richler's Barney's Version at Grumpy's.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
It's true, younger people talk surprisingly little because they are stuck on their phones.

I like to call it "anti-social" media................it allows you to communicate with everyone and talk to no one.
You do understand that people use the phones to talk to each other, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada