HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

^one and the same...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 6:24 PM

I'll take a crack, but giving more weight to luck and the huge amount of parity we see in the NHL.

NYR WSH - NYR
BOS TOR - BOS
FLA TBL - TBL
CAR NYI - NYI
DAL VGK - VGK
WPG COL - WPG
VAN NSH - NSH
EDM LAK - EDM

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 8:55 PM
Mooderator

Most people have Dallas over Vegas, but Vegas has a horseshoe stuck up its ass with the miraculous return of the likes of Stone just in time for the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:58 PM

I'm sticking with EDM-TOR in the Final, until sometime 10 days from now when I have to revisit that lol.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 10:12 PM
Community Guy

^legendary reference and photo.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 3:29 PM
Community Guy

A fairly boring but dominant win by Boston last night. Toronto simply could not put anything together and Boston demonstrated what a better goalie looks like.

I suspect that Toronto may go down 2 quickly and then rage back in Toronto, but it does not look good thus far.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 3:42 PM
Ham-burgher

Doesn't everybody want to punch Adam Sandler?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And this is why it is so difficult being a Maple Laffs fan.........

I was 10 years old the last time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup in 1967. I was a huge fan at the time, and still remember a lot of the players on that team. I fear I will be long since dead before the Leafs win the cup again........

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I was 10 years old the last time the Leafs won the Stanley Cup in 1967. I was a huge fan at the time, and still remember a lot of the players on that team. I fear I will be long since dead before the Leafs win the cup again........
You know what's funny about the 1967 thing. I remember being a kid in the mid 90s and people made fun of the Leafs for 1967. Their streak then was less than every Canadian teams current streak is now. It's been 31 years since a Canadian team has won.

Everyone who remembers a Canadian team winning the Stanley Cup is old (not just being alive, but actually remembering). Multiple generations haven't seen their team win a cup. This was all stuff unique to the Leafs. It's now a fact for every team in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 5:29 PM
Community Guy

I remember 1990 with the Oilers, but only vaguely and have a much more vivid memory of losing to Carolina in 06.

Time to change that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

At least you witnessed a cup win. I was born in 1969 and started watching hockey in 1975 and they've never even sniffed the cup in my existence. How can they at least not make the finals in all that time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
You know what's funny about the 1967 thing. I remember being a kid in the mid 90s and people made fun of the Leafs for 1967. Their streak then was less than every Canadian teams current streak is now. It's been 31 years since a Canadian team has won.
I remember in 1982 wondering if I'll ever see the Leafs win a cup since it's been forever (15 years) since they did it. Here I am 42 years later and it still hasn't happened (nor had they even made the finals). In retrospect, 15 years is nothing. In fact, it's hard to believe they were only 8 years removed from their last win when I was a Leafs fan.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 10:32 PM

So now that I can take a day off from planning the Leafs Stanley Cup parade, I went back and re-visited some of the media over the Arizona situation. I watched both of Bettman's news conferences as well as listened to a couple podcasts from PHNX Sports (a great podcast). I came away with the impression that while the league really wants a team in Phoenix, they really don't want it to be owned by Alex Meruelo. In the Arizona presser, Bettman wasn't shy to cut AM off, talk over him or correct him and didn't show any type of respect for an owner that he would to any other owner. He referred to Ryan Smith by name several times. By contrast, in the news conference later on in Salt Lake City, he didn't once say Alex Meruelo's name, rather called him the Coyotes owner (or former owner).

Meruelo for his part, stumbled through his statement, he read his opening remarks off of paper, he said he didn't like the media, that he had no personal regrets (even Bettman said he regretted that the Tempe vote didn't pass, AM said he did all he could and spent $7million dollars on the election, a number which was disputed by a city official who said he spent a little over a million). When asked about season ticket refunds, AM said to give him time and let him breathe.

Some of the details that have been talked about the potential future Coyotes team. He has the 5 year right to reactivate the team and the league needs 18 months notice that he plans to reactivate. This 5 year window is for him only, it's not transferable. On top of that, he can't reactivate the team and sell it, he must retain ownership for 5 more years on top of that. At this point, AM patted Bettman on the shoulder and said "I've been here for 5 years, I have 5 years to bring the team back and then I have 5 more years to own them after that, it shows that the league wants me". Bettman just gave a silly grin as if to say "I'm putting up with you because I have no other choice in order to get the new guy in that I actually wanted". When the team gets reactivated, there will be an expansion draft under the same rules as Vegas and Seattle had when they came in the league. It also sounds as if Meruelo misspoke when suggesting the AHL team would move to Mullet from Tucson. First, the lease with ASU was for 3 years plus an option for the NHL team not AHL. He may still have to pay out at NHL prices. Also, he still has 3 years left on the lease in Tucson. Also, the AHL schedule is heavily weekend oriented, as are the ASU uses for Mullet, so there may not be room in the schedule to fit the Roadrunners in. Plus, they draw almost as many people in Tuscon as the Coyotes did at Mullet. Another small thing Bettman mentioned, and he said this could be good or bad depending on a person's point of view, but they switched around the local TV market a bit so that Phoenix was in the Utah local market so their games would be seen there.

From the PHNX Sports podcast perspective, the sentiment from fans seems to be they want nothing to do with AM running a future team but they recognize that he is the best chance to get a team back. But the people don't appear to like him or trust him.

As for the Salt Lake City press conference, obviously Bettman was in a much better mood. I found it interesting, and telling, that the NHL has this one posted on their website, but the Coyotes press conference I had to find it on youtube, posted by the PHNX podcast. Most of the info from this conference has been out already, but the most interesting stuff was regarding the arena. Smith started off by saying his default position was to build a new arena. But then his team presented plans for renovating the seating over the following 2 summers and gradually bringing the hockey-optimized seating to 17-17.5k while not destroying their ideal NBA seating. They are going to start off with 12,000 good seats and another 4000 obstructed seats, mostly behind the nets. Sounds like it's too late for this year to do much in the next 5 months. He didn't come right out and say there is no plans for a new arena (even with the Olympics for 2034), but he said "I may have only graduated Brigham Young but even I know it's better for our company to have a 100 acres out in the south end with a new arena and thousands of homes, but downtown is best for the city and state", and it sounds like the plan is to renovate the Delta Center. He also acknowledged that it's almost impossible to assemble land in the downtown for a new arena and even the church is having trouble finding land there. He also said that the Jazz would have followed the hockey team to a new arena, as it made no sense to have 2 arenas there and he didn't want to do that to downtown. So, who knows, I'm surprised no one came out and asked how far into the future he foresaw a new arena.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:34 PM
Community Guy

Winnipeg, its stadium and their fans looked amazing on the intro.

2Gs on 6 shots after being outshot 11-1 and down 1-0 to silence the whiteout.

This series is going to be a gooder. GO JETS GO!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:42 PM
Community Guy

Holy crap.

3 goals more goals in but a couple of minutes.

Last goal scored please turn out the lights.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 3:08 AM
Community Guy

Jets/Avs will be THE series of the first round at that pace. WOW.

The Preds look pretty good so far, but it's very early. Demko looks solid.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:51 PM
Community Guy

Nashville did well for the first 40, but could not use those PPs to capitalize on and take the game away. Good on Vancouver and their unlikely hero to battle back.

This should be a fun serious and a very different game than Jets/Avs.

----

It's GO TIME. GO OILERS GO!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 3:18 PM

Went to the Canucks-Preds game last night. Insane atmosphere. 2 goals in 12 seconds and my ears are still ringing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 5:42 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Went to the Canucks-Preds game last night. Insane atmosphere. 2 goals in 12 seconds and my ears are still ringing.
I wasn't able to watch the game last night, but caught the highlights. Man, Roger's Arena was loud. When Dakota Joshua got the third goal, the sound of the screaming crowd was something else. You can tell the fans have been hungry for a playoff game. It's been awhile.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 12:09 AM
Mooderator

Cold, I hope Edmonton pulls it off.

Everyone hates Vegas.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:56 AM

Really solid win for the Leafs tonight, as we look jealously at every other less-stacked division (hi Edmonton and Vancouver).

The only real dark spot for TML tonight was the unacceptably timid play of Marner, who seemed allergic to taking a hit or driving the net. Worse than invisible, his softness bordered on detrimental.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada