HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:23 PM

Winnipeg - Sad day, I am officially leaving downtown

After living downtown for 11 years, we bought a house on the river ...

While I am looking forward to enjoying the best nature has to offer, I will definately miss living downtown. I was only 19 years old when I bought my first condo for only 60K at Riverwalk (15 Kennedy St.) ... I went from there to 520 Portage for the last 3 years ... and now I am leaving.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that it will be a constant struggle to keep people in downtown Winnipeg. Unlike other city's with natural barriers (Mountains, Oceans, Lakes, etc ..), Winnipeg has absolutely nothing to keep it from sprawling.

Manhatten is a giant island. Vancouver is stuck between Mountains, the Pacific ocean and the US Border. San Francisco is almost entirely surrounded by water. There is no place left to build, thus creating density.

I think, in general, people crave space and privacy. That is why the wealthy of London England have country estates. That is why the richest of Manhatten have a summer home in the Hamptons. In Vancouver, the rich live in the mountains north of the Lyons Gate Bridge.

What is creating lack of density in Winnipeg is that all these things that are reserved for the "rich" in other cities are attainable to the common worker.

I just bought a nice house, on the river, huge backyard, 10 mins from downtown for less than a downtown condo. We are sometimes artificially trying to create what other city's have, instead of embracing our own strengths.

Given the choice, a family in SF would much prefer a 1500 sq ft house with a backyard than a 3 floor 700 sq ft condo. The problem is that a 1500 sq ft house in SF will cost you over a million dollars.

We have things backwards in Winnipeg. We build expensive downtown condo's, and expect people to leave their large homes and yards to pay MORE MONEY for the privilege of living downtown. This additonal cost is usualy masked as "lifestyle".

I'll be completely honest. I loved living downtown. But you know what? Nothing compares to going to my friends place for a backyard BBQ. I have chosen to have that too.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:25 PM
the first stamp is free

^ what area will you be living in?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:32 PM

We just bought in East Kildonan ... Bredin Drive (south continuation of Kildonan Dr)...

It was quite a leap for us, my fiancee has only lived in River Heights and St-Boniface ... I've only lived in St-Vital and Downtown ... we never thought we'd move North, but when we saw the lot, we fell in love with it

What's weird is that I always considered EK as an ugly neighborhood. Now that I am more familiar with the area, I find it beautiful. Kildonan Dr has to be one of the nicest streets in the city.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 8:51 PM
the first stamp is free

I'd ditch the pretty much any property in Winnipeg if I had the chance to first afford, and second purchase a lot on the river - that's in an area relatively close to the downtown. Eventually, that's where I want to be living (hopefully still in Wolesley)

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 11:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Congrats some friends of my family live on Bredin Dr.

They have a beautiful terraced river lot. It is a really nice street.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 11:59 PM
Closed account

Glenwood Crescent is another little riverfront street that not as many people are aware of. Definitely keep an eye out for something reasonably priced along there (it's just south of Bredin).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 4:49 AM

Congrats on the move! I was just biking through there the other day. I forgot how beautiful that neighborhood is - definately one of Winnipeg's best kept secrets.

And sadly, I think your assessment of Winnipeg's artificially priced urban real estate market is spot on.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 5:47 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
We just bought in East Kildonan ... Bredin Drive (south continuation of Kildonan Dr)...

It was quite a leap for us, my fiancee has only lived in River Heights and St-Boniface ... I've only lived in St-Vital and Downtown ... we never thought we'd move North, but when we saw the lot, we fell in love with it

What's weird is that I always considered EK as an ugly neighborhood. Now that I am more familiar with the area, I find it beautiful. Kildonan Dr has to be one of the nicest streets in the city.
Hahaha, prepare for some long sleepless nights. I know some people on Bredin , good friends as a matter of fact, that routinely have loud parties with as many as 75 people in a 2 bedroom bungalow.

P.S. I know exactly which house you bought, great find! Its a beautful home.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 5:55 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

if your exploring East Kildonan / Elmwood for the first time, take a bike ride down Brazier. There's some beautiful modernist homes from 60's built along the Rossmere Golf Course.

One of the homes was featured in Winnipeg Modern.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 11:28 PM

im doing the opposite im staying downtown, just signed the papers for a suite on the 23rd floor at 33 hargrave an amazing view in an amazing building i will have many picturees to come once i move in, move in date is august 1st if all goes as planned!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 1:29 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
im doing the opposite im staying downtown, just signed the papers for a suite on the 23rd floor at 33 hargrave an amazing view in an amazing building i will have many picturees to come once i move in, move in date is august 1st if all goes as planned!
I am looking forward to your pics. I remember when I moved to downtown Winnipeg ... it was a few weeks before the Pan Am games. It was an excellent welcome to my new neighbourhood. The Forks was alive every day and night with activity and entertainment! It was a real eye opening of how an energy filled downtown might be .. I loved it!!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffler View Post
I am also currently living at 33 Hargrave (19th floor) ... we have a month or so of renovations before we officially move in Absolutely great views of the Forks from our suite ... it's a great building, you'll love everything about it except for the SLOW elevators, and lack of parking for guests.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Hahaha, prepare for some long sleepless nights. I know some people on Bredin , good friends as a matter of fact, that routinely have loud parties with as many as 75 people in a 2 bedroom bungalow.

I think 11 years of condo living has made me immune to loud parties ... I've had my fair share of loud neighbours that share a common wall, so a loud party 5 houses away will be paradise

I met the neighbours the other day, and one is an old lady, the other is a pastor, so I should be OK ...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
I am also currently living at 33 Hargrave (19th floor) ... we have a month or so of renovations before we officially move in Absolutely great views of the Forks from our suite ... it's a great building, you'll love everything about it except for the SLOW elevators, and lack of parking for guests.
i currently live at chateau 100 so i know a thing or 2 about slow elevators and the no parking for guest thing so its not biggie for me, and i really cant wait, the sales agent said its the nicest suite in the building, right on the 23rd floor corner unit absolutely gorgeous i really cant wait!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 9:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Apparently Fort Garry place is infamous for its slow elevators.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

I too know that house, does it still have the dock?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 1:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

interesting... i know someone that lived in the yellow house on that street they moved away cause of taxs and bought on manitoba

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I too know that house, does it still have the dock?
If you don't mind me asking, how do you and "Only the Lonely" know exactly which house I bought? Any history on the house that might be of interest to me?

There are stairs going down to the river, but no dock ... apperently, there was a permanant dock many years ago, but they replaced that with a floating dock ... but even the floating dock hasn't been used in the last 4 years

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 3:30 PM
BANNED

Previous owners last name started with G

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Previous owners last name started with G
Yes, very nice people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan