HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 10:11 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

You know, I bet the car thieves are panicking, now that cars are getting immobilizers, they're being more aggressive in their sad tactics by being more "active". Although, the newer cars that come with the factory installed mobilizers are actually easy to break into, and the thieves are aiming at those cars now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 1:54 PM

The "bait" program has been very successful in Vancouver and I know that Seattle is so impressed with the Vancouver program that they maybe begin to use it themselves.

The problem is that there are no real consequences. Judges let them off with a pat on the hand and sending everyone to jail really isn't an option and is extremely expensive.

Here's an idea..........caught once then automatic 5 year driven suspension.
Caught twice stealing then it's lifetime suspension.
Driving is not a right it is a privlege and should be treated as such.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 5:34 PM

contact me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
That's my friend and co-worker who got hit this morning.

Sure hope they get whoever did this and deal out some real justice.
Fengshui, please e-mail bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

thanks

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 7:25 PM
Closed account

How do I put this politely?

No.

Go find someone else to help you chase ambulances. When someone wants their privacy to be respected, maybe you should back off, instead of trying to find out something behind their back.

Last edited by fengshui; Mar 10, 2007 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 12:08 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Car stolen within day
Ex-Winnipegger gets rude awakening on arrival back in city

Tue Mar 13 2007 | By Bruce Owen | Winnipeg Free Press

A family that drove 4,828 kilometres from Central America to escape crime was in Winnipeg less than 24 hours before their truck was stolen.
"It's sickening," Gordon Spink said as he looked at the only memento of his 2000 Dodge Ram truck -- its keys. Spink is a former Winnipegger who left for Central America 10 years ago.

"It was just jaw-dropping. I almost couldn't assimilate it. I had high expectations we would feel comfortable here. But I got lulled into a false sense of security," said Spink.

Spink, 61, arrived back in Winnipeg late last week after spending 10 days driving his wife and son from San Pedro Sula in Honduras to Winnipeg where they plan to start a new life.

When he woke up Saturday morning his white truck was gone from a parking lot near Kearney Street in St. Vital. He had locked the truck's doors, but had no other theft-control device.

"In speaking to people about it, they say, 'Oh, don't you know Winnipeg is the auto-theft capital of North America?' It's almost as if people are proud of it, like when they say we're the Slurpee capital of Canada."
Spink said he came back to Canada for its quality of life, hoping he and his wife would feel safe from the violent everyday crime of Central America and that their son could get a good education.

In Honduras, Spink said he was once pistol-whipped in a home invasion and always felt on edge when he walked streets and beaches.

"You're always checking your back to make sure it's safe," he said.

He continued checking his back all the way to Winnipeg last week as the family drove north through Guatemala, Belize, Mexico and the United States.

When he crossed the Canadian border, he said he thought he could finally relax.

"It's almost as if we have a birthright that we can feel safe here," the retired computer program manager said. "But I know now to take that sense of safety and security with a grain of salt."

Spink said he hopes he gets his truck back so he can finish the process of importing it into Canada. It should be easy to spot, he added.

"It has a big bull bar in the front and it still has Honduran plates," he said. Spink was one of 20 people in the city who had vehicles stolen Saturday, according to police. Another 20 were victims of attempted thefts. On Sunday 19 vehicles were stolen and another 17 were recorded as attempted thefts.

The city's auto-theft problem hit a new low last week as three youths speeding in a stolen Pontiac Sunbird tried to mow down joggers on Wellington Crescent. Police said it appears a 49-year-old man was hit by the car. Police are still looking for suspects.

Earlier in the same week several youths were arrested after stealing two Cadillac Escalades in a smash-up spree through north Winnipeg.

bruce.owen@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:54 PM
Movin' on up

Dang. You beat me to it!

So, what a wonderful and heart-warming story for the rest of Canada to mock us with.
I"m sick of this already

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 4:32 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I'm sick of it too..but you know if the government really wanted to do something about this they could.

I just think people have grown complacent.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:23 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I'm sick of it too..but you know if the government really wanted to do something about this they could.

I just think people have grown complacent.
Which is most definately not a good sign for the futur of the city. This is, however, only one of the many reasons (not including weather since to me it is so trivial in nature) that Winnipeg has such a shitty reputation with all the smug jokers from BC, Alta. and Ontario thinking they are soooooo much better than us, while Manitoba and Winnipeg just sit back and say; "so what? crime happens everywhere. It's not that bad." This is what truly pisses me off.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:53 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it may piss you off - but it is essentially a true statement.

random serious crime isn't really a problem here (or anywhere else in Canada).

Car thefts are a problem here, but you visit the city of winnipeg crimestat website, you will notice that this year actual thefts of cars are way down over last year.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 9:56 PM
Canadian Urbanite

WInnipeg needs to pick up the phone and call Regina.

We were leading the country in auto-theft but our numbers have dropped dramatically due to some strategy that they implemented.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 10:30 PM
Capitalist

Lets face it most car theives are young offenders.... until the young offenders act is changed it won't be corrected.

Although I get MPI full credit for suing car theives for damages. This is one of the few times a can say that having a government agengy is a benefit... as I am sure that by pursuing civil legal action against car theives they are not making much net, but by forcing even young offenders to pay for all damages and expenses incurred by the theft it puts all the responsibilty on the young morons. I would also like to see all car theifs lose the right to getting a licence for at least 5 years or 25 years of age, what ever is later. This would be possible without changing the young offenders act... as the government issues the licences... which is a privilage not a right.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:39 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Suspected young auto thieves to remain in custody
MAR 15 2007 06:10 AM

Two of the three youths suspected in a hit and run of a Winnipeg jogger last week remain in custody.
A 16-year-old boy, believed to be the driver of the vehicle, will remain in the Manitoba Youth Centre pending two mental assessments.

Trial dates are also expected to be set during this time.

Through his lawyer the teen told the court he is innocent.

A 13-year-old co-accused cried during his bail hearing. The boy is not being released pending a court ordered bail report.

Another 16-year-old suspect was let go on Tuesday on a promise to appear in court.

CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 3:45 PM
GQMF

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar games makes "Grand Theft Auto: Winnipeg"
That'd be cool and bad at the same time.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 4:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar games makes "Grand Theft Auto: Winnipeg"
That'd be cool and bad at the same time.
Naa, it's gonna be called "Grand Theft Auto: Peg city stories"

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 5:26 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Yet another attempt at Vehicular homicide with a stolen car, this is happening at a rate of one a week these days.

Quote:
Teen driver arrested for allegedly hitting pedestrian

By Paul Turenne | Winnipeg Sun | March 20th 2007

Cops have arrested a 16-year-old boy who allegedly tried to injure a pedestrian while driving a stolen vehicle, and also allegedly rammed into two cop cars on the same night.

Cops were tight-lipped about the pedestrian incident, but did say the boy stands accused of deliberately trying to hurt someone with the car. It’s believed a teenaged girl was walking down the street somewhere in the northern part of Winnipeg about 1 a.m. Saturday when someone in the vehicle opened a door on her as they were passing, knocking her down.

Cops allege the driver later rammed the same vehicle into two cruisers that were trying to stop him. That happened once on Leila Avenue and a second time on Inkster Boulevard, before he finally slammed into a hydro pole and was arrested.

Read more in tomorrow's Winnipeg Sun.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:40 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Another pedestrian targetted
Second such incident in two weeks involving stolen vehicles; 16-year-old boy charged

Tue Mar 20 2007 | By Bruce Owen | Winnipeg Free Press

A 16-year-old boy is charged with driving a stolen GMC Jimmy that took a run at a 17-year-old girl as she walked with friends down a north Winnipeg street this weekend, police said Monday.

It's the second confirmed incident in two weeks in which teen thieves have used stolen cars to intentionally hit pedestrians, the first being a 49-year-old jogger on Wellington Crescent almost two weeks ago.

Police spokesman Sgt. Kelly Dennison said police would not release details of the 17-year-old's injuries as police fear follow-up news reports will glorify the incident and lead to copycats.

"We're trying to do everything we can to stop it," Dennison said, describing the deliberate act "sick behaviour."

"They need to be held accountable for their actions."

He also said the two incidents appear to be isolated and that Winnipeggers should not be afraid of being hit by a stolen car.
However, he asked pedestrians to be careful when out and about.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind all citizens of Winnipeg to use sidewalks wherever possible, be aware of your surroundings, including vehicles travelling in all directions," he said.

In the most recent incident, police believe a grey 1995 GMC Jimmy SUV stolen Saturday from the 700 block of Pritchard Avenue took a deliberate run at a group of teens walking on a street in north Winnipeg.

Police believe that as the SUV whisked by someone inside opened a door, hitting the girl. It's believed her injuries were not serious.

A short time later a police patrol unit spotted the stolen SUV driving in the 1100 block of Leila Avenue. The driver tried to ram into the police car and flee.

Moments later the stolen vehicle again rammed a second police vehicle near Inkster Boulevard and Plymouth Street. The stolen vehicle then hit a hydro pole in the 1700 block of Inkster Boulevard.

The youth is charged with two counts of assault with a weapon, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily harm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, flight from police, driving without a licence, failing to remain at the scene of an accident, theft over $5,000 and possession of break-in instruments.

Dennison said in the jogger hit-and-run and an earlier theft involving two Cadillac Escalades several boys were arrested who until then had no contact with police. That's raised concerns that a number of young boys are getting involved in the stolen auto subculture despite the best efforts of police and provincial officials to target and monitor high-risk thieves.

"Where did they learn how to do this?" Dennison said of the up-and-comer thieves.

The Winnipeg Auto Theft Suppression Strategy currently monitors about 135 high-risk thieves through a series of curfew checks. Those who violate their curfew are arrested.

The strict monitoring program was brought in a year ago to reduce the city's reputation as one of the worst cities in Canada for auto theft.

A weekend

of car thefts

March 16, 2007

* Vehicles reported stolen: 17

* Attempted vehicle thefts: 24

* Recovered stolen vehicles: 12

March 17, 2007

* Vehicles reported stolen: 23 * Attempted vehicle thefts: 11

* Recovered stolen vehicles: 12

March 18, 2007

* Vehicles reported stolen: 21

* Attempted vehicle thefts: 14

* Recovered stolen vehicles: 13

-- Source: Winnipeg Police Service

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Mar 20, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

The moral of the story..

Don't take your car anywhere near Elmwood.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2007, 2:30 PM
Density and complexity

Somebody call the waambulence...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The moral of the story..

Don't take your car anywhere near Elmwood.

How about just blowing up the Redwood Bridge?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 7:52 PM

Car thieves have new enemy
Police camera scans 200 plates per minute

Fri Mar 23 2007

By Bruce Owen

CITY police unveiled a high-tech camera Thursday that scans the licence plates of hundreds of vehicles zooming by in a one-minute span to help identify stolen vehicles.
And investigators say the system, when installed, could help stem Winnipeg's auto-theft epidemic and reduce dangerous high-speed police chases.

The new camera system is called Automatic Licence Plate Recognition and it scours roads and parking lots looking for stolen vehicles.

Police say it's just one tool of many needed to make streets safer.

"It's not going to be a tool that cures everything," said Staff Sgt. Aubrey Kehler, of the stolen auto unit.

The system can read and compare the plates of 200 vehicles per minute. Normally, it takes an officer two minutes to type in a plate number in an on-board computer of a police car and get a reply, said Sgt. Doug Safioles.

ALPR facts

Automatic Licence Plate Recognition (ALPR) is a camera-based system used to identify vehicles by their licence plates.

The cameras can be stationary, used at a gas station, parking lot or border crossing, or installed in a marked or unmarked police car.
The ALPR automatically reads a licence plate and within seconds checks it with stolen-vehicle lists. It can also check if the car is legally registered and insured, but police don't plan to use it for that in Winnipeg.
The technology is used by police and border-security agencies throughout the world. RCMP in British Columbia will start using the system this fall.
Police usually store the licence plate information for 30 days. If there are no "hits" the information is destroyed.
Police say the ALPR system is not an invasion of privacy, as vehicle licence plates are in the public domain.
Police also say the ALPR system only does what police officers do already, but in seconds and more efficiently.

Recent stolen vehicles

March 17

23 vehicles were reported stolen. There were another 11 reported attempted thefts.

March 21

11 vehicles were reported stolen, followed by 13 attempted thefts.
Police say the sharp decline is due to one thing: Officers arrested one boy several days ago. With one kid off the street, thefts dropped by almost half.

The camera can also read plates covered in muck, added Safioles, explaining it senses the indentations of the numbers and letters of the plate as well as the paint.

One system costs about $25,000. Police are looking at getting only one and installing it over the next year.

What they won't do, according to Kehler, is chase the stolen car.

Instead, they can direct other police cars ahead to intercept the stolen car at a safe time and place to catch the thieves before they have injure someone or damage other vehicles and property.

The system is used in Vancouver, said Sgt. Gord Elias of British Columbia's Integrated Municipal Provincial Auto Crime Team (IMPACT). Vancouver has used the cameras for several years and credits them with helping to reduce auto-theft crimes.

Elias said an unmarked police car installed with the system blends into traffic and less visible to thieves. Covert police cars are brought to intercept the car when the time is right.

"People have no idea," he said, of the thieves.

The car with a camera can also prowl hot spots of the city known for high rates of auto theft, including parking lots where cars are frequently stolen (Polo Park and St. Vital shopping malls are two of the worst spots in Winnipeg) in the hope of catching a thief in the act.

Young thieves often steal up to five or more cars in a day. Usually they dump a car close by the next car they want to steal. Elias also said a police car equipped with the camera can be parked on the side of road at a street or bridge connecting one part of the city to the other. Once a stolen car is identified by the camera, officers can radio ahead to get police to set up a road block.

"You're only limited by your imagination what you can do with it," Elias said. "It's a piece of the puzzle. Like any puzzle, you have to put the pieces all together to tighten the noose around these guys."

In Winnipeg, Kehler said police aren't going to discuss tactics they plan to use.

He said the system can also be used to sniff out uninsured vehicles and suspended drivers, but that part of enforcement isn't planned for Winnipeg.

The system was announced Tuesday by Mayor Sam Katz in conjunction with Premier Gary Doer's pledge of $500,000 toward doubling the stolen auto unit by five additional officers.

The purchase of the camera and the additional provincial funding for the stolen auto unit only came together over the past few months -- before a jogger became the victim of a deliberate hit-and-run with a stolen car on Wellington Crescent March 8.

Here's how the system works:

* A police car will be equipped with two special cameras, which are hooked up to an on-board computer.

* Each day, a list of stolen vehicles and their licence plate numbers will be uploaded into the computer.

* Once on the road, the cameras will scan each oncoming vehicle and each vehicle in the right-side lane or parked on the right-side curb.

* Cameras then automatically read the licence plate of each of these vehicles and compare their plates with the list of stolen vehicles in the computer.

* When a match is found, the plate and make and model of the auto are verified. * Depending on the situation, police can then take any number of actions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan