HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:39 AM
A long time gone

The Fairmont

i went to a (pointless) conference in the Fairmont today... The hotel is pretty good and I really like the position, form the plaza under the caribou statue you can see in prospective Portage Avenue and the Exchange... it's amazing! I also had time to take a walk in the exchange and the Waterfront, very nice that Juba Park, there is also a marine police station I think with a walk around it, i went there but didn't know it was a police station, is it allowed to go?

But the best part (well, "best") is that in the morning there was another conference (from where I took breakfast, i confused the two), which was organized by the Friends of the CMHR, it was actually just over, but in the hall upstairs there was Gail Asper in person talking with an old married couple (with strange accent) about the museum. They were offering her something which i really didn't understand (I tried my best to hear though...). She's very passionate when she speaks, I like her. I wanted to go to her and tell her about my concerns about the "Jewish" point of view, but obviously didn't have the guts.

P.s.: also got lost in Winnipeg Square again, just can't get that place...

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 12:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

nice
as for winnipeg square umm the round about just rememver witch bank is at what corner and you should be fine...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:34 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

So that's why that guy took a dump in a potted plant, he probably just couldn't find his way out of the P&M concourse and had to make do.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 4:12 PM

The Fairmont is by far the nicest hotel...and I've tried most in the core. I "lived" at the Fairmont for some 14 months, with a north view over the Exchange area...the hotel is actually in nice shape - some of the rooms are getting a little dated, but, compared to other Fairmonts (I've stayed in about 13 of them, or something like that), it holds up well. The BEST part of the Fairmont Winnipeg is the staff...absolutely the best front desk, room service, and concierge staff for any Fairmont (again, that I've been to).

Winnipeg Square - and that round-about concourse thing - is kinda ugly. I remember as a kid when it was first built that they had put a giant empty toilet-paper roll across one side of it...still thought that a couple years ago :-)

However, it is fantastic for those -40 and below days

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 6:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the farimont is where the queen stays when shes in winnipeg........

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

The Winnipeg Inn and all its successors suck on the outside. That and the Richardson Bldg. the new City Hall (which should be replaced any time soon), and the PSB "barracks" too.

The big rockstars (rockstar parking anyone?) stay at that hotel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan