HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Saw a revew of a new book, "Barton Creek" that traces the creek all the way back to its source. I think I need to buy it!
Bought the book. It's really interesting. Follows the creek from where it runs into Town Lake all the way back the the spring where it begins on a ranch some miles away. I had no idea it was so large or that there were so many beautiful pools and rapids (when it's flowing) beyond Campbell's Hole.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:30 AM
Member since 2001

On a lighter note (JK)...anyone know who went into Austin's wiki page and erased all of the data pertaining to the U/C buildings and approved/proposed buildings?

It's all gone!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:47 PM
Meh

A photo I took late last night of Jupiter and 4 of its moons.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

Nice work.
I miss my old Unitron equatorial refractor. Never did get into astrophotography.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:05 AM

That's really cool Kevin. I miss my night sky and my Meade, which I sold after losing my night sky. I spent countless hours doing what you're doing and got pretty good at tracking planets and deep space objects. You know what I mean when I say its one thing to see the pictures, but nothing compares to seeing it "live". Its witnessing...reality. I don't think many people realize what it takes to get an amazing and clear picture like that. I never could.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:51 PM

Can we get more sticky threads?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:41 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Can we get more sticky threads?
What threads? Having a whole lot of them sort of defeats the purpose, but if there's one someone was thinking should be, we could consider it.

Another easy way to stay on top of threads is to subscribe to them.

At the top right of every thread, there is a "thread tools" drop down menu. Th 2nd option in that menu is to subscribe to the thread.

To view your subscribed threads, you need to visit your "user CP" link in the top left. An easy way around having to go to that link every time once you're on the forum is to bookmarket it on your browser, especially as a tab.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What threads? Having a whole lot of them sort of defeats the purpose, but if there's one someone was thinking should be, we could consider it.

Another easy way to stay on top of threads is to subscribe to them.

At the top right of every thread, there is a "thread tools" drop down menu. Th 2nd option in that menu is to subscribe to the thread.

To view your subscribed threads, you need to visit your "user CP" link in the top left. An easy way around having to go to that link every time once you're on the forum is to bookmarket it on your browser, especially as a tab.
I was kidding.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 6:30 AM

I ventured to downtown tonight around 9PM for the first time in a long time and I came away with a few thoughts. First of all, I wanted to visit after sunset because its easier to follow the lights and people to the hot spots. My route was I35 to Riverside, from Roiund Rock of course, and first stop was the park across from the Long Center. Great view of downtown from there. I was a bit surprised by the number of people using the lake, but the lights of the skyline lit things up enough to where they could see where they were going. The skyine is absolutely beautiful from there at night and the reflections in the water makes for a memorable experience. Will be back when they finish the renovation to the park, mainly the gazebo and pond area. It needs more lighting and a working fountain to help drown out some of the noise. Seems like its taking a long time. Weird that despite the full parking lot, I only saw maybe a dozen people. From there we went to South Congress, kinda of dead and dark until you hit the Hotel, whatever its called. From there to just before Oltorf, really, really cool. Then sparcity until you get closer to Ben White where there's a bit more lights and action. Took 71 to I35 to get another look at downtown. Love the Fairmont, looked like every room was lit up. The top was blue, the spire lit white and looked out of proportion to the rest of the building. They should lop a third of it off. But it is an impressive howdy do coming from the south as is all of Rainey, including the Van Halen building, Legacy, Skyhouse and especially 70 Rainey. Looking west is just pure eye candy. Frost still stands out nicely. The Austonian and Indy's crowns were disappointingly dark, but there is quite a bit of splashes of color throughout downtown, not to mention all the lights behind the windows that downtown still shines nicely. The I35 overpass by 5th and 6th Streets with the dopey wings with the LED lights only highlighted the mass of homelessness. They were camped out beneath it albeit illuminated in muted colors. Sad, and distracting, but just about every big city has this situation and saavy travelers know to expect this. Took 12th to Congress and went south to notice darkness and few people until 9th Street. Lights, and action. Listen to a guy driving a horse carriage give an Austin history lesson to his 2 passengers. Very COOL! Took 6th west. Now that's a partying part of town almost all the way to Lamar. I felt like if I was from out of town, which actually I am, I would avoid East 6th and explore West 6th. Lit up, tons of people, really cool. From there Lamar to Burnet to the Domain where I explored the night life from my car like I did in Austin. Lots of people walking around, colored lights, music, and the smell of food. They have a bit of a night time vibe going on there too to a lesser degree. My final takeaway... Austin is incredibly beautiful at night. Its easy to find the hot spots from the crowds, music, food smells, and the lights. Its hard to drive and look around at ease with all the scooters, but I saw so many people who were absolutely enjoying themselves downtown on them that I saw the value add. Its going to take a lot to improve the nightlife and walkability around the Sheraton and the area around 12th St and the Capitol. In fact, I don't think it will ever come close to all points south. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm glad I chose the night to explore downtown. I feel I understand why so many visitors have a blast here as well as locals. Its definitely a happening and exciting city. And Beautiful. More towers will enhance the skyline and I certainly looked up a lot, but Austin should always be alert to what really makes it shine, and that's the bright lights and activity on the street level. Other wise it will fall into the darkness I saw north of 9th street. Sorry for the long rave, this was mostly for ya'll who experience downtown on a regular basis, so you can see it though my fresh eyes. I think I fell in love with Austin all over again tonight like I did when I moved here in the early 80s. My wife said she wished it was like this when we moved here and we were younger. Well, we did have East 6th at least. As far as big league cities go, Austin is definitely in a league by itself. You have one hell of a city to be proud of.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 16, 2019 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I ventured to downtown tonight around 9PM for the first time in a long time and I came away with a few thoughts. First of all, I wanted to visit after sunset because its easier to follow the lights and people to the hot spots. My route was I35 to Riverside, from Roiund Rock of course, and first stop was the park across from the Long Center. Great view of downtown from there. I was a bit surprised by the number of people using the lake, but the lights of the skyline lit things up enough to where they could see where they were going. The skyine is absolutely beautiful from there at night and the reflections in the water makes for a memorable experience. Will be back when they finish the renovation to the park, mainly the gazebo and pond area. It needs more lighting and a working fountain to help drown out some of the noise. Seems like its taking a long time. Weird that despite the full parking lot, I only saw maybe a dozen people. From there we went to South Congress, kinda of dead and dark until you hit the Hotel, whatever its called. From there to just before Oltorf, really, really cool. Then sparcity until you get closer to Ben White where there's a bit more lights and action. Took 71 to I35 to get another look at downtown. Love the Fairmont, looked like every room was lit up. The top was blue, the spire lit white and looked out of proportion to the rest of the building. They should lop a third of it off. But it is an impressive howdy do coming from the south as is all of Rainey, including the Van Halen building, Legacy, Skyhouse and especially 70 Rainey. Looking west is just pure eye candy. Frost still stands out nicely. The Austonian and Indy's crowns were disappointingly dark, but there is quite a bit of splashes of color throughout downtown, not to mention all the lights behind the windows that downtown still shines nicely. The I35 overpass by 5th and 6th Streets with the dopey wings with the LED lights only highlighted the mass of homelessness. They were camped out beneath it albeit illuminated in muted colors. Sad, and distracting, but just about every big city has this situation and saavy travelers know to expect this. Took 12th to Congress and went south to notice darkness and few people until 9th Street. Lights, and action. Listen to a guy driving a horse carriage give an Austin history lesson to his 2 passengers. Very COOL! Took 6th west. Now that's a partying part of town almost all the way to Lamar. I felt like if I was from out of town, which actually I am, I would avoid East 6th and explore West 6th. Lit up, tons of people, really cool. From there Lamar to Burnet to the Domain where I explored the night life from my car like I did in Austin. Lots of people walking around, colored lights, music, and the smell of food. They have a bit of a night time vibe going on there too to a lesser degree. My final takeaway... Austin is incredibly beautiful at night. Its easy to find the hot spots from the crowds, music, food smells, and the lights. Its hard to drive and look around at ease with all the scooters, but I saw so many people who were absolutely enjoying themselves downtown on them that I saw the value add. Its going to take a lot to improve the nightlife and walkability around the Sheraton and the area around 12th St and the Capitol. In fact, I don't think it will ever come close to all points south. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm glad I chose the night to explore downtown. I feel I understand why so many visitors have a blast here as well as locals. Its definitely a happening and exciting city. And Beautiful. More towers will enhance the skyline and I certainly looked up a lot, but Austin should always be alert to what really makes it shine, and that's the bright lights and activity on the street level. Other wise it will fall into the darkness I saw north of 9th street. Sorry for the long rave, this was mostly for ya'll who experience downtown on a regular basis, so you can see it though my fresh eyes. I think I fell in love with Austin all over again tonight like I did when I moved here in the early 80s. My wife said she wished it was like this when we moved here and we were younger. Well, we did have East 6th at least. As far as big league cities go, Austin is definitely in a league by itself. You have one hell of a city to be proud of.
Thanks for sharing that, General. I live in Redondo Beach, CA, and rarely get the chance to return to my home town to see all of the development and changes going on or to just experience Austin. Being able to experience the city by proxy - by reading postings such as yours - is the next best thing, for me. So, thanks to you and all of you contributors for making the forum so informative, valuable, and enjoyable. Cheers!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Thanks for sharing that, General. I live in Redondo Beach, CA, and rarely get the chance to return to my home town to see all of the development and changes going on or to just experience Austin. Being able to experience the city by proxy - by reading postings such as yours - is the next best thing, for me. So, thanks to you and all of you contributors for making the forum so informative, valuable, and enjoyable. Cheers!
I live a lot closer, about 15 to 20 minutes away depending on the time of day and I rarely venture to downtown so I too appreciate the contributors to this forum to keep me posted. I did live near downtown and my wife used to work at 9th and Congress but we moved to Round Rock to raise a family. The contributor posts are an excellent way to keep up to date, but nothing compares to being downtown in the thick of things. I'm going back in daylight in a few days for a different perspective. Next time you come visit, you might want to come home to stay. Be prepared to be amazed.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:09 AM
Meh

I noticed that Microsoft "Bing" maps have updated satellite images for Austin. They don't have the nice 3D images that Google has, although, they used to, but their satellite photos are more up to date. The Independent is complete in them, for example, and it's showing the site prep/construction for Indeed Tower, 300 Colorado, 5th & Brazos, Marriott at Cesar Chavez, and Plaza Saltillo.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=austin+texas&FORM=HDRSC4

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 11:12 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm surprised they made a flyover rendering of the Bowie HS parking garage. It's cool, but still made me laugh.

https://www.facebook.com/26827298654...0874447281780/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 12:57 AM

Anybody notice that the new burger king commercial for their new tacos was filmed on 6th street? You can see the Frost tower in the background.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Anybody notice that the new burger king commercial for their new tacos was filmed on 6th street? You can see the Frost tower in the background.
Speaking of fast food tacos and their ties to Texas... Jack in the Box tacos are made in Lampasas.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Speaking of fast food tacos and their ties to Texas... Jack in the Box tacos are made in Lampasas.
Don't know if you are serious, but Jack in the Box tacos are seriously bad.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Don't know if you are serious, but Jack in the Box tacos are seriously bad.
I'm totally serious.

JitB sells 554 million of those stupid tacos a year.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
I noticed that too, was thinking about posting it. I find it funny that they chose Austin to promote their new $1 taco, since Austin is probably the city that invented the $5 taco (thanks Torchy's).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I'm surprised they made a flyover rendering of the Bowie HS parking garage. It's cool, but still made me laugh.

https://www.facebook.com/26827298654...0874447281780/
Haha. But why bother animating the walkers, bike riders and tennis players if they don't go anywhere? Even the people in the stairwell are animated, but stuck in place.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:15 PM
looking at plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Austin is probably the city that invented the $5 taco (thanks Torchy's).
Just wait until you get a Taco Palenque (if they aren't there already) and their $3.99 bean-n-cheese tacos!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin