HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
probably another nonstop to some city in Mexico.
I think any nonstop international flights would be a great addition!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:22 PM

SAT Welcomes New International Service to León, Mexico

From the City of San Antonio, Communications Office

SAN ANTONIO (March 23, 2018) – Interjet Airlines, a growing Mexico-based low-cost carrier, announced new daily nonstop service from San Antonio International Airport (SAT) to León, Mexico today, the fourth Mexican city served by the carrier and fifth from the Alamo City. Service to Del Bajìo International Airport (BJX) will begin June 22, operating on a 93-seat Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft offering convenient central access to Mexico’s Bajìo region.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 9:30 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post

SAN ANTONIO (March 23, 2018) – Interjet Airlines, a growing Mexico-based low-cost carrier, announced new daily nonstop service from San Antonio International Airport (SAT) to León, Mexico today, the fourth Mexican city served by the carrier and fifth from the Alamo City. Service to Del Bajìo International Airport (BJX) will begin June 22, operating on a 93-seat Sukhoi Superjet 100 aircraft offering convenient central access to Mexico’s Bajìo region.
Very interesting. I've never been to Leon, but I know it's home to the southernmost HEB store. Maybe that's related somehow. Great news, in any case.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post

At first I was un-impressed but then I realized we are setting us up to make San Antonio into a great Latin America hub instead of going thru Dallas or Houston.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
At first I was un-impressed but then I realized we are setting us up to make San Antonio into a great Latin America hub instead of going thru Dallas or Houston.
And the issue with making SA a ( please don't mention the word great) thriving Latin America hub is????

Nothing wrong with that IMO

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
And the issue with making SA a ( please don't mention the word great) thriving Latin America hub is????

Nothing wrong with that IMO
I never would have inferred that he was implying there was anything wrong with San Antonio becoming a Latin American hub. In fact, I would have inferred the opposite based on his statement.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I never would have inferred that he was implying there was anything wrong with San Antonio becoming a Latin American hub. In fact, I would have inferred the opposite based on his statement.
Agreed. On a side note, it makes my heart happy to see someone using imply/infer correctly

Keep these Mexico flights coming. Any flight we have that other cities don't is good for the airport and our economy as it creates the need for connecting flights to San Antonio. Hence a hub.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 8:53 PM

New Flights and a Thriving Economy Contribute to Recording Breaking Passenger Growth

From the the City's Government and Public Affairs Office:

SAN ANTONIO (March 26, 2018) – According to airport industry reports, San Antonio International Airport (SAT) has recorded another impressive record breaking month of passenger growth and cargo movement. A record breaking 667,650 total passengers passed through the airport last month. This marks an increase of 10.5% over the same time period last year and is the highest level of traffic for any February on record. The calendar year-to-date totals are also up, with an increase of 9.1%, which is also a record. These increases continue an ongoing and impressive trend of steady growth at SAT, marking the 20th consecutive month of record passenger numbers.

The record number of passengers is also accompanied with increased cargo. SAT moved approximately 20,000,000 pounds of cargo in one month, representing an 11.8% increase year-over-year.

“February is typically a slow travel period, but it’s been an exceptional time for travel to San Antonio and prosperity for our economy and the region,” said Russ Handy, Aviation Director for the City of San Antonio.

In a breakdown of the growth, domestic travel increased by 10% compared to February 2017. This rise is primarily due to capacity increases by most of the carriers. Frontier and American Airlines also offered new routes.

Internationally, capacity surged by 24.8% as a result of new and additional service to both Mexico City and Toronto last year. Despite the growth, the economy in Mexico and the demand between Mexico and SAT has been affected, but traffic is expected to continue to improve.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:51 PM
James

Nirenberg Announces New Mass Transit Nonprofit, Jobs Council

Quote:
“The time has come for us to go all-in on mobility for the future,” Nirenberg said of ConnectSA. “This nonprofit will facilitate community input, conduct research, and build support to pave the way for citizens to vote on modern transportation for our city in 2019.

“And I’m confident when they do, they will say yes. We want better. No more status quo.”

Nirenberg campaigned on a comprehensive, affordable transportation network for San Antonio as he ran against former Mayor Ivy Taylor in 2017. ConnectSA, it seems, is Nirenberg’s attempt to follow through on that promise.

The nonprofit, according to a press release, will raise private contributions, work with VIA Metropolitan Transit and other groups on mobility, and encourage voters to “approve a comprehensive mobility plan that includes multimodal mass transit corridors” and funding for the first phase.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:44 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Fascinating he's talking about "trackless technology". I'm not a transportation person, and I have no doubt that such technology is real, but the cynical part of me thinks that this seems like a way around the "no trains without a public vote" charter amendment. It's not a train if it doesn't have tracks, right? Whatever that's actually about, this is great news, transit is the big thing I've been wanting out of Niremberg, so I'm thrilled to finally see something about that from him.

For those who haven't been following, this is Via's corridor plan, which it seems like this new non-profit will be using as their framework:

http://www.viavision2040.com/wp-cont...wMap_v3_01.png

I'm starting to be a little optimistic that we'll see a handful of these corridors actually come to fruition. We have a Council that seems pretty pro-transit, hopefully the Mayor has the balls and the know-how to git-ur-dun.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Fascinating he's talking about "trackless technology". I'm not a transportation person, and I have no doubt that such technology is real, but the cynical part of me thinks that this seems like a way around the "no trains without a public vote" charter amendment. It's not a train if it doesn't have tracks, right? Whatever that's actually about, this is great news, transit is the big thing I've been wanting out of Niremberg, so I'm thrilled to finally see something about that from him.

For those who haven't been following, this is Via's corridor plan, which it seems like this new non-profit will be using as their framework:

http://www.viavision2040.com/wp-cont...wMap_v3_01.png

I'm starting to be a little optimistic that we'll see a handful of these corridors actually come to fruition. We have a Council that seems pretty pro-transit, hopefully the Mayor has the balls and the know-how to git-ur-dun.
I would love to have a transit plan that is on the cutting edge technology wise which might maximize our considerable infrastructure. If we look 20-30 years out you might begin to see some sort of rideshare based public transit with stoplight priority. Are there other sprawled cities working on anything - shall we call it - post-streetcar?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:45 AM
JACKinBeantown

That map is confusing. The legend doesn't quite match the markings on the map itself which lends to not being sure if I'm reading it correctly or not. Long story short, it seems like it's mostly a bunch of busses without dedicated bus lanes being stuck in traffic with all the cars.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That map is confusing. The legend doesn't quite match the markings on the map itself which lends to not being sure if I'm reading it correctly or not. Long story short, it seems like it's mostly a bunch of busses without dedicated bus lanes being stuck in traffic with all the cars.
If I recall correctly, the "rapid bus transit" idea being floated does actually involve its own dedicated lane/right of way. And would utilize streets like Fredericksburg and San Pedro Ave as corridors, not the freeway.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
If I recall correctly, the "rapid bus transit" idea being floated does actually involve its own dedicated lane/right of way. And would utilize streets like Fredericksburg and San Pedro Ave as corridors, not the freeway.
Something is better than nothing. But rail is better than everything.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 9:28 PM

I'm a big fan of true Bus Rapid Transit for San Antonio, as long as:
1. It's a quality system that actually follows standards for BRT, biggest ones being dedicated lanes, all door boarding, off board fare collections, and level platform boarding
2. It's a significant cost savings over rail

I just don't see SA becoming dense enough over the next 20-50 years to really need the capacity of rail. LA has built their latest BRT project to be able to handle arrivals every minute, so you can just add more buses to handle increased traffic.

There isn't a global qualifier of what BRT is but here are some guidelines that I think are pretty good. https://www.itdp.org/library/standar...d/what-is-brt/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
I'm a big fan of true Bus Rapid Transit for San Antonio, as long as:
1. It's a quality system that actually follows standards for BRT, biggest ones being dedicated lanes, all door boarding, off board fare collections, and level platform boarding
2. It's a significant cost savings over rail

I just don't see SA becoming dense enough over the next 20-50 years to really need the capacity of rail. LA has built their latest BRT project to be able to handle arrivals every minute, so you can just add more buses to handle increased traffic.

There isn't a global qualifier of what BRT is but here are some guidelines that I think are pretty good. https://www.itdp.org/library/standar...d/what-is-brt/

Agree with you on the BRT thing. Could be good for SA, if they do what you mentioned. It's been implemented very successfully in parts of the world with great efficiency, popular among users and uses pretty cool new and emerging technology. I've heard of some BRT systems starting to incorporate driverless vehicles. It doesn't have to be an outdated model at all.

Disagree a bit with you on the rail thing regarding SA's density. I think mass transit and density is more a chicken/egg scenario. Rail systems (light rail, subway, whatever) with the right infrastructure, executed properly and well-funded, and that seek to actually connect communities can promote high density development. Not done at all, and sprawl continues uncontrolled. Done wrong and it becomes unpopular and a waste of time and money (like the DART in Dallas) with little contribution to how communities develop around it. In 20-50 years as you mentioned, I think San Antonio really could be a much much more densely populated city if we do this mass transit thing right.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
Agree with you on the BRT thing. Could be good for SA, if they do what you mentioned. It's been implemented very successfully in parts of the world with great efficiency, popular among users and uses pretty cool new and emerging technology. I've heard of some BRT systems starting to incorporate driverless vehicles. It doesn't have to be an outdated model at all.

Disagree a bit with you on the rail thing regarding SA's density. I think mass transit and density is more a chicken/egg scenario. Rail systems (light rail, subway, whatever) with the right infrastructure, executed properly and well-funded, and that seek to actually connect communities can promote high density development. Not done at all, and sprawl continues uncontrolled. Done wrong and it becomes unpopular and a waste of time and money (like the DART in Dallas) with little contribution to how communities develop around it. In 20-50 years as you mentioned, I think San Antonio really could be a much much more densely populated city if we do this mass transit thing right.
Completely agree. San Antonio has a history of trying to play "catch up" with growth. We need to get in front of it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 1:41 PM

The Fredericksburg Corridor is actually part of a plan to test driverless buses:
http://www.siliconhillsnews.com/2017...less-vehicles/

Who knows if it will actually happen but it would be cool if it did!

And I guess I go back and forth with LR vs BRT. It mostly falls down to cost for me, let's say we somehow pass a vote giving VIA a full cent of sales tax for operations and a one time $XYZ million bond issue specifically for transit. If they are able to squeeze out double the amount of miles of true BRT for the same cost as LR, they I say let's do BRT. I'd rather have double the amount of high capacity, reliable transit than a rail system. Our current system on Fred Rd (what I've been told is the highest traffic route for VIA) is generally served well with 10-12 minute headways. That can easily get down to 3 minute headways, which would ~quadruple the capacity of the route. What routes will actually need more capacity than that? Of course we could also switch over the bi-articulated buses at that point. Or use platooning technology that allows multiple buses to "link" to each other using technology the Texas A&M Transportation Institute is studying for the trucking industry.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
If they are able to squeeze out double the amount of miles of true BRT for the same cost as LR, they I say let's do BRT. I'd rather have double the amount of high capacity, reliable transit than a rail system.
I'd say I definitely agree with that. I want a system we could actually reliably use to get around the city without a car, whatever it takes.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 4:05 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

What I desperately want is the Broadway corridor reconstruction to have an actual BRT component. I don't think Broadway is currently one of Via's busiest routes, but Broadway is clearly becoming the growth corridor for the inner city, so upgrading transit along that street would be a good idea in my opinion.

It's what Albuquerque has done on Central Ave, which is sort of an analogous street to Broadway, and I think it's working well there. But last I checked what they want to do on Broadway is add a bunch of street parking...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio