HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #421  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:02 AM
alexjon's Avatar
alexjon alexjon is offline
Bears of antiquity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downtown/First Hill, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,340
Um... you're expecting a little too much from a bus shelter
__________________
"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion." -- George Washington & John Adams in a diplomatic message to Malta
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #422  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 9:01 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
VIA just hired a urban rail program manager to oversee mass transit rail development in San Antonio starting with the two downtown street car lines which VIA's CEO wants up by 2015.

Story
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #423  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:33 AM
oldmanshirt's Avatar
oldmanshirt oldmanshirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SATX > KCMO > DFW
Posts: 1,170
HNTB is a Kansas City planning and design firm with a very good track record. I'm glad Keith Parker is cognizant of the need to establish rail service while not compromising SA's already very good bus system.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #424  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:51 AM
Boquillas's Avatar
Boquillas Boquillas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 80221
Posts: 1,372
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...rs-1604355.php

A master plan is unanimously approved, now the hunt for funding is underway.
__________________
"Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close

Flickr Blog Site
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #425  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:24 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,316
Wonderful.
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #426  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 4:51 AM
SAguy SAguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 436
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #427  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:01 AM
Paul in S.A TX's Avatar
Paul in S.A TX Paul in S.A TX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Far West Bexar County
Posts: 3,546
__________________
2018 S. A. Pop.1.51 million
metro 2.5 million/REGION 4.7million
San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP.
U.S. Dept of Defense $48.5 billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #428  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:13 AM
necropolis necropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 173
As much as I understand the need to try to provide a starter rail both north/south and east/west the small scale of the starter rail seems to not really connect much. I mean maybe the north/south works somewhat with Alamo Heights and Southtown but for the east/west route why would I need or want to travel east/west when there is nothing on either end to attract large amounts of people. And something I've also wondered...why does 281/1604 seem absent of potential future rail or BRT lines? I mean isn't this where major growth is occurring? Future transportation should aim to dissuade people from using their vehicles and not keeping congested areas absent of transportation options.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #429  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,316
I understand what you are saying; perhaps its my optimism but I like to think of our starter line(s) as an investment; pay some money in hopes that development occurs in these areas. I know they don't connect much at first, but it could connect many things in the future, just like the San Pedro line; I don't see it as connecting the Airport, NS mall, and DT, I see it connecting those three things and a couple of dense future developments along SP; perhaps around Basse/SP and Olmos/SP.
Back in the 50's, DC decided to build the Metro. Back then, there was much of nothing in the burbs, and of course the Fed Gov was in DT DC. Alot of people say that it only works in DC because it is dense, but it wasn't always that way outside of the core; and now you can see the density in the 7 stops in Arlington, Bethesda, Friendship Village, heck even some really suburban locations are re-gridding their super huge suburban blocks and joining in the density party 50 years after the Metros initial investment.
My point is, it may not connect much at first, but the possibilities are endless for what it could connect 10,20 even 40 years from now.
As for 281/1604... there's not much room for redevelopment (yet) but I think the first connection should be down Huebner to Med. Center. Maybe they'll address it in 10-15 years; it's not growing much more and people would rather take their cars (for now) anyways.
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #430  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 7:37 PM
UrbanTrance's Avatar
UrbanTrance UrbanTrance is offline
Paradise
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 550
The north/south line makes most sense at present. I think of the east/west line as more of a hopeful 'catalyst' for West Side, Hemisfair Park, and the East Side entertainment district redevelopment ideas. Either way, I applaud the encouragement of continuous urban development north, east, and west of the loop.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #431  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 9:54 PM
necropolis necropolis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 173
And we are now one step closer to the beginning of a street car line once again through downtown San Antonio. If all goes well and the city decides to contribute money, this East/West line could begin construction in January!


(mysa.com)

County approves streetcar funding

City officials said they are studying VIA's proposals and could make a pitch to council members as early as the end of this month.
Without that assistance, VIA would be unable to pursue its plans — at least in the short term.
“I think the city recognizes that, as our partner, that VIA has been underfunded historically and that it's time for that to change,” Muñoz said.
VIA will contribute $70 million, now that the agency has the ability to bond its ATD funds.
If the city contributes its proposed share of the funding, the transit agency hopes to break ground in January on the streetcar line...


Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1UfJtRpsz
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #432  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 11:37 PM
arhavel arhavel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 44
It seems like the East/West route might have been chosen first as a way for the city to also reconstruct Goliad Street within Hemisfair Park as Andujar has been campaigning for. This way, we do both at once, while the city has also been talking about early 2012 for making Alamo and Chavez Blvd. (gotta get used to that) "complete streets."

Now that I think of it, I actually like this first as opposed to North/South, because the river has already created that directional pull near Broadway and South towards Southtown--that line will obviously come in the future, but this one is a way to reinvigorate the opposite directions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #433  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:28 AM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
It seems like the East/West route might have been chosen first as a way for the city to also reconstruct Goliad Street within Hemisfair Park as Andujar has been campaigning for. This way, we do both at once, while the city has also been talking about early 2012 for making Alamo and Chavez Blvd. (gotta get used to that) "complete streets."

Now that I think of it, I actually like this first as opposed to North/South, because the river has already created that directional pull near Broadway and South towards Southtown--that line will obviously come in the future, but this one is a way to reinvigorate the opposite directions.
Thinking here is that the east/west will capture larger number of riders. when Westside Multi-modal station (part of this request) is completed, VIA will terminate many of its crowded NW side lines coming from Fredericksburg Rd/Med Ctr and all of its BRT folks at the WS MMS (read: not terminate the route...just end the route at the MMS). They will then transfer to the streetcar to make their way downtown, bumping numbers up and increasing commute times ever so slightly.

This is obviously not the whole reason, but it is a sizable number of people that will ride.

Nueva sort of stinks right now...but it will be interesting to see what happens as there are a lot (LOT) of surface parking lots in prime locations on Nueva downtown, including 3 of the 4 lots with River access. So hopefully some new development there once the line is put in.
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #434  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:34 AM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
Evidence of Nueva St dead zone: Screenshot
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #435  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 1:44 AM
miaht82's Avatar
miaht82 miaht82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Triangle
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Thinking here is that the east/west will capture larger number of riders. when Westside Multi-modal station (part of this request) is completed, VIA will terminate many of its crowded NW side lines coming from Fredericksburg Rd/Med Ctr and all of its BRT folks at the WS MMS (read: not terminate the route...just end the route at the MMS). They will then transfer to the streetcar to make their way downtown, bumping numbers up and increasing commute times ever so slightly.

This is obviously not the whole reason, but it is a sizable number of people that will ride.

Nueva sort of stinks right now...but it will be interesting to see what happens as there are a lot (LOT) of surface parking lots in prime locations on Nueva downtown, including 3 of the 4 lots with River access. So hopefully some new development there once the line is put in.
Exactly my thoughts.
With a larger # of "known" riders, the numbers will prove it to be a success... again, obviously not the whole reason, but it also reduces the 40 or so daily E-W buses that go through DT.
As for development, time will tell. I don't judge success by the first few years of ridership; I know that success is seen in 5,10, and 25+ years of use and when we just don't have new development but also redevelopment. I'm sure there was a time 2 or 3 years after the (original) Riverwalk was built that people said "Man, this thing sucks... we paid $400K and all we have is Casa Rio down here."
__________________
The Raleigh Connoisseur
It is the city trying to escape the consequences of being a city
while still remaining a city. It is urban society trying to eat its
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 11, 2011 at 1:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #436  
Old Posted Aug 11, 2011, 5:09 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Evidence of Nueva St dead zone: Screenshot
Imagine those surface parking lots replaces with mid and high rise developments!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #437  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:30 AM
alexjon's Avatar
alexjon alexjon is offline
Bears of antiquity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downtown/First Hill, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,340
It took me a second to like the alignment, but then I remembered the Nueva deadzones. I remember applying to Bill Millers as a teenager and having to walk down to that intake office down there.
__________________
"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion." -- George Washington & John Adams in a diplomatic message to Malta
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #438  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2011, 7:07 PM
sakyle04's Avatar
sakyle04 sakyle04 is offline
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 78201
Posts: 1,369
I talked to a VIA rep at the Historic Homeowners Fair (@ Jefferson HS) today. They had renderings of the Mary Louise BRT stop and the Medical Center MMS.

The MMS looks good from an exterior design standpoint. It should stand out nicely and provide some visual interest.

The bad news is that the BRT stations will not be enclosed, will not be platforms, and will not offer off-board ticketing options.

The rep tried to tell me that they would eventually install kiosks for off board ticketing, but the gist of the conversation was that these are going to be bus stops and BRT will be bus-service. Nothing special to set it aside at all.

- Pay your fare as you board the bus (slower)
- Wait at normal, open bus stop (not at all safer)
- Ride in non-dedicated lanes (not at all faster)

Soooo....

As we assumed, they sold "light rail on rubber tires" and we will receive longer buses and virtually identical commute times.

Shame.
__________________
PAVE PARADISE, PUT UP A (HIGH-RISE ON A) PARKING LOT...
Kyle on Twitter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #439  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 9:54 PM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I talked to a VIA rep at the Historic Homeowners Fair (@ Jefferson HS) today. They had renderings of the Mary Louise BRT stop and the Medical Center MMS.

The MMS looks good from an exterior design standpoint. It should stand out nicely and provide some visual interest.

The bad news is that the BRT stations will not be enclosed, will not be platforms, and will not offer off-board ticketing options.

The rep tried to tell me that they would eventually install kiosks for off board ticketing, but the gist of the conversation was that these are going to be bus stops and BRT will be bus-service. Nothing special to set it aside at all.

- Pay your fare as you board the bus (slower)
- Wait at normal, open bus stop (not at all safer)
- Ride in non-dedicated lanes (not at all faster)

Soooo....

As we assumed, they sold "light rail on rubber tires" and we will receive longer buses and virtually identical commute times.

Shame.
You have to thank the old VIA regime. Thankfully they were dumped and now the new leadership is a lot more fit to help guide SA's mass transit future.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #440  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2011, 9:57 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You have to thank the old VIA regime. Thankfully they were dumped and now the new leadership is a lot more fit to help guide SA's mass transit future.
The new VIA leadership isn't exactly distinguishing itself at the moment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.