HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
New 95 59.38%
Old 35 21.88%
Neither 30 18.75%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 12:49 AM

Back to the drawing board is the last thing this project needs, it's been 6 years since they were supposed to originally start construction.

Last edited by Calgarian; Jan 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
beautiful renderings, shame that the finished product will look very sterile.
How do you know???

I know I'm in the minority here, but I quite like the design, although they should have found a way to incorporate the old Penny Lane Mall buildings into the design, and I also think one tower will look much better than two. My hope is that the first tower only gets built, and the second tower gets built years from now with a different design (and hopefully as a mixed-use building!).

Unfortunately it's not particularly likely that they will vary the designs even if Tower 2 is built a decade or more from now - Bankers Hall 2 was built a decade after Bankers Hall 1, and they still went with the original near-twin concept.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:13 PM
Editor

I think the tower looks plain, but I like it. I have a feeling the tower will look better than the rendering once it's finished.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 8:58 PM

i like the project with the 2 towers, hopefully the 2nd will get built.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 12:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
The project was originally a two tower project, but the second tower may or may not get built.
You didn't specify which tower might not get built but based on the pictures, i'm assuming the shorter one might not.

The interesting thing about this tower (for us skyscraper nerds anyways) is that it is the exact same height that Petro-Can was for a long time (689 feet). It is only recently that someone changed the height so Petro-Can is now slightly over 700 feet. I expect some slick salesman from Calgary talked some official skyscraper committee member somewhere to include the mechanical penthouse so Calgary can say it has a 700 footer!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:23 AM
Hypnotized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
You didn't specify which tower might not get built but based on the pictures, i'm assuming the shorter one might not.

The interesting thing about this tower (for us skyscraper nerds anyways) is that it is the exact same height that Petro-Can was for a long time (689 feet). It is only recently that someone changed the height so Petro-Can is now slightly over 700 feet. I expect some slick salesman from Calgary talked some official skyscraper committee member somewhere to include the mechanical penthouse so Calgary can say it has a 700 footer!
I think this is pretty much irrelevant, seeing as how The Bow will eclipse 800 feet.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:27 AM
Calgreedian

Quote:

So now we aren't including mechanical floors? Gimme a fuckin break buddy. Its not like we threw up an antenna or even a spire for christsakes. We're not exactly talking about the Guangzhou TV Tower here. You're just breaking our balls man.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Last edited by ScottFromCalgary; Feb 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:

Right now only the taller (51 floor) tower is under construction. The second one is to be 41 or 43 floors, I believe.

Re: height of Petro-Can, many buildings in various cities have had their height revised upward or downward over the years as new information became available. Besides, nothing wrong with counting a mechanical penthouse in the height of a building. Besides, this city doesn't cheat: out of all the big North American skylines, Calgary's is one of the few that doesn't have many buildings padding their heights with spire elements.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 7:36 PM
Editor

Quote:

Could be the case. I'm not sure where the actual extra height comes from as the Petro Canada tower has a flat roof. It must be the basic structural height, which is what should be used anyway. Petro Canada tower is the least guilty of any tower for lame ways adding height.

What I don't care for are heights that include an antenna/spire as an official height. One of the notable ones is 1250 Rene Levesque in Montreal where they've added the antenna (they call it a Spire) to give it a height of 755'.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 12:18 AM

I actually like this project quite a bit!
I think it will turn out very nicely, and hope that they can build the second tower with a completely different design... twins are far too boring, and common in our skyline

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 6:43 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I actually like this project quite a bit!
I think it will turn out very nicely, and hope that they can build the second tower with a completely different design... twins are far too boring, and common in our skyline
Yup, too many twin towers in this city. Hopefully Livingston will be the last set of twins.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 8:48 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
at this point, neither tower is guarranteed to be built. The parking garage is being built to meet some city obligation.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin' View Post
at this point, neither tower is guarranteed to be built. The parking garage is being built to meet some city obligation.
Pretty much. There is a change in some bylaws related to parking, and in order to keep the older bylaw as the one that the building falls under they had to start construction (in this case excavating and shoring) by the end of December. The new bylaw likely would have resulted in a redesign to the parkade and/or having to pay the city extra in lieu.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 5:03 AM
Majestic

Courtesy of Myself

February 15, 2008

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 8:02 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I thought this looked like a Pickard Chilton and I went to the website and I was right. This is a slightly altered design of a never-built Centennial Hill building in Atlanta by them. Glad the design is getting used.
It sure looks similar doesn't it.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 9:20 PM

Last edited by Senz; Jun 11, 2008 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 11:19 PM
Editor

^They're making pretty good progress, especially with the nice weather outside.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2008, 11:03 PM

What will the space behind Belgo be used for?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 12:25 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
What will the space behind Belgo be used for?
Yeah, they are really going at quite a pace. It is pretty impressive to see all of the dump trucks waiting to be loaded in the AM. Reminds me of the Bow.

I wonder what will be behind Belgo. Do you know if they are required to provide access to 4th street still?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 4:26 AM

I don't believe they are. Looking at the city's mypages it doesn't show the access that was there previously that I remembered. I do see though that it shows the DP has been released, while the BP is still on hold.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture