HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 1:29 AM
Meh

Thanks. I wish had been able to take it later in the day. The sun was in the wrong spot to be looking in that direction.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 2:46 AM

I'm really excited about this, I hope its a 650-700 footer. And a couple residential towers to boot. I was hoping it would break ground in 2015, but its worth the wait.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 5:06 AM

get tall, SA. I know my hometown can bust out a real signature tower.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 6:11 AM

There's no this whole project could be shutdown right? I mean since the mayor is in on this & they announced it & everything? I just really don't want to be a dead project in 2yrs. I wanna see more building like this downtown, so I can move downtown someday hahah

Old Posted Jul 14, 2014, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the before shot Kevin. Here's to hoping for something good. Also on the plus side that crappy Embassy Suites will be blocked out once this project gets off the ground.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 4:54 AM

Here's a couple more angles.

photos taken by me.

cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM. Reason: resized the second image.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 3:34 PM
Meh

^Please don't forget to include a link with those photos to the website(s) where you found them.

I gotta say, this tower couldn't have been planned for a better place on the skyline. I've never believed that any new major development should be built within the older part of downtown. I'd rather see those parking lots gobbled up by towers on the edge of downtown instead and let the interior be occupied by more modest charming developments that add good infill within it.. It'll also help balance out the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 3:37 PM

New Frost Bank Tower Update

http://www.therivardreport.com/westo...nancials-city/

from The Rivard Report August 10th..

Amid a week of headlines at City Hall that included withdrawing funding of the streetcar project to City Council and getting a first look at the 2015 Proposed Capital and Operating Budget, the year’s biggest proposed development project took a second step toward becoming reality.

Weston Urban CEO Randy Smith delivered a detailed financial project proposal within the city’s 45-day deadline period for a major western downtown development on Friday.

The Weston Urban proposal includes development of a Class A downtown tower and 732-space parking garage that would become the new corporate headquarters of Frost Bank. The bank’s current 22-story office tower would become home to City employees now working in five leased office spaces. The multi-block project will include at least 300 new residential units, restaurants, coffee shops, and other retail venues and street-level improvements.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 7:12 PM

City Releases Weston Urban/Frost Bank Proposal

http://www.therivardreport.com/city-...bank-proposal/

There is an update with the Weston Urban Proposal now released

Quote:
The City of San Antonio has published for public review a comprehensive downtown development proposal by Weston Urban and Frost Bank that would transform several square blocks of western downtown north of Main Plaza into a vibrant new urban zone over the next six years.
Here is the actual proposal.

Some key points:
  • They estimate this to be a 4 year project
  • There is a section where they talk about "massing"
  • Residential is separate (in acquired city property)
  • The tallest estimate is 518' (a few feet taller than 33-story Frost in Austin)
  • Discusses transforming the several blocks around the tower

Of course nothing is designed at this point (that is about a year away).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 9:00 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Yep, I was told this would/will be a mixed-use tower with the 300-units a part of the office building.

I'm not sure if they changed their mind from this proposal, sent to the city, or changed their mind from mixed-use to single use.

As it says in the height proposal page, the height is subject to change at any time so it very well could mean they will present a mixed-use tower when the design comes out but who.knows. 520 feet is still pretty good and residential buildings next to it will look nice in that part of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:48 AM

Good info, can't wait to hear more updates.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:22 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

So, while still in preliminary stages, we can kill the pipe dream of 700ft and start hoping for a really well designed 518'.

Thrilled with that height and hopeful (more than anything) for good street-level interaction. If there are multiple dominoes in the area, the way they interact with the street will say more than anything about whether this area of DT becomes a true neighborhood or simply another place that suburbanites drive to work each day.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
So, while still in preliminary stages, we can kill the pipe dream of 700ft and start hoping for a really well designed 518'.

Thrilled with that height and hopeful (more than anything) for good street-level interaction. If there are multiple dominoes in the area, the way they interact with the street will say more than anything about whether this area of DT becomes a true neighborhood or simply another place that suburbanites drive to work each day.
Realistically, you can't kill anything. Just wait until the final proposal/design comes out. But I think we can all expect the tower to be over 500 feet at least.

It's a win win no matter what.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 3:08 PM

Was that an actual rendering that was on the news last night? They said that this building would be about 3 stories less than the Marriott Rivercenter. The rendering appeared to be an all glass high rise.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Was that an actual rendering that was on the news last night? They said that this building would be about 3 stories less than the Marriott Rivercenter. The rendering appeared to be an all glass high rise.

http://www.therivardreport.com/city-...bank-proposal/

The tower itself hasn't been designed, but could look similar to the conceptual rendering above.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
No. That was just for massing purposes. The design hasn't even started yet.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Well this is disappointing. I was hoping for a tower to break 40 stories finally. Isn't Marriott Rivercenter 39 stories?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:11 AM
Meh

Hopefully they go taller, but even if they don't 518 feet would still look great.

By the way, the Frost Bank Tower in Austin is 515 feet 9 inches tall. San Antonio's needs to be taller than our's.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Hopefully they go taller, but even if they don't 518 feet would still look great.

By the way, the Frost Bank Tower in Austin is 515 feet 9 inches tall. San Antonio's needs to be taller than our's.
I still can't wrap my head around the 50 story figure that was pulled out of who knows where.

It's unfortunate this tower won't make the iconic impact on the skyline we were initially told. It won't look bad, just needs another 200' on top.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:00 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
I still can't wrap my head around the 50 story figure that was pulled out of who knows where.

It's unfortunate this tower won't make the iconic impact on the skyline we were initially told. It won't look bad, just needs another 200' on top.
Not 100% on why you are considering this rendering the example of what will be there.... as the picture states... this is for massing purposes only. I'm betting SA gets at least a 600 footer out of this. I would be shocked if its shorter than the frost in Austin. We will know conceptually what the height will actually be hopefully towards the end of the year here. And how many times has the news media taken bits of information and screwed them up? ...... Weston and the city haven't even sent out the RFP to my knowledge (yes/no?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio