HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 1:37 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Among those making the Top 25 Resorts in the Southwest list was the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa.

“We are delighted to be recognized by Condé Nast Traveler’s discerning readers,” General Manager Arthur Coulombe says. “Our team is committed to a guest experience that embodies the authentic spirit of the Texas Hill Country. To us that means daily ‘Best In Class’ service that is welcoming, attentive and relaxing. Having been open just three years, we’re honored to be included among the top 25 resorts in the Southwest.”

The hotel is located at 23808 Resort Parkway.

Nearly 80,000 readers cast 1.3 million votes to come up with Condé Nast’s Readers’ Choice Awards 2013.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 1:39 PM

Quote:
There is a good chance, perhaps an ever-increasing chance, that the San Diego Chargers will throw up their hands, end their quest for a new stadium in Southern California and move to another market.

Could the team wind up in San Antonio? It’s possible, says one veteran Chargers observer.

San Diego Union-Tribune columnist Kevin Acee believes the Chargers are ripe for the picking. Acee, who was the Chargers beat writer for several years before becoming a columnist, wrote recently, “The only way the Chargers will stay is if they get a new place to play.”
He is not optimistic that San Diego leaders will come through in time with a workable plan.

The natives are restless. Apathy may be setting in.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
San Antonio is truly a seller’s market.

As of September 2013, housing inventory in the Alamo City stood at 4.6 months — a six-year low for the market, according to the latest San Antonio Board of Realtors (SABOR) report.

The September report also shows that homes are on the market, on average, 70 days. Of the homes sold, 97 percent were bought at the listing price.

“We have seen our inventory getting smaller and smaller all year, making this more of a competitive market,” says Steven Gragg, 2013 SABOR chairman of the board. “Low inventory could result in sellers receiving multiple bids on homes located in prime locations or being able to sell closer to their asking price.”

In September, the average price of a home in the greater San Antonio area stood at $205,728 — up from an average price of $193,026 last September, and an average price of $189,723 in September 2011.

A total of 2,031 homes were sold over the 30 days ended Sept. 30, 2013, according to the latest SABOR analysis. By comparison, 1,686 sales were recorded last September. Two years ago, 1,576 home-sales were recorded.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:34 PM

Not going to happen. Why? The Alamodome is to outdated for an NFL team to play there. It would have to be demolished and a new billion dollar stadium put in its place. More than likely they will move to LA.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Not going to happen. Why? The Alamodome is to outdated for an NFL team to play there. It would have to be demolished and a new billion dollar stadium put in its place. More than likely they will move to LA.
I just used the Alamodome as a placeholder. Obviously any relocation would be tied to a new stadium. Alamodome would be temp.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 5:37 PM

i'm not holding my breath or anything but just the possibility of getting NFL gives me the chills. how epic that would be.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 4:40 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

That would be awesome! However, I believe LA, Mexico City or London would get a team before we would. The NFL will most likely think twice about putting another team in a "smaller" market (when larger ones may be available).

Furthermore, I'm not sure the owners would approve it (i.e., Jerry Jones and Bob McNair may push for a vote against a team in SA...right now). And that is not to mention voter approval of funds for a new stadium (in the neighborhood of $500MM-$600MM).

It's not impossible...and I'd like to see it happen...but, I too, am not holding my breath...for now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
That would be awesome! However, I believe LA, Mexico City or London would get a team before we would. The NFL will most likely think twice about putting another team in a "smaller" market (when larger ones may be available).

Furthermore, I'm not sure the owners would approve it (i.e., Jerry Jones and Bob McNair may push for a vote against a team in SA...right now). And that is not to mention voter approval of funds for a new stadium (in the neighborhood of $500MM-$600MM).

It's not impossible...and I'd like to see it happen...but, I too, am not holding my breath...for now.
London will never have an NFL, at least not in our life times.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 9:34 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
London will never have an NFL, at least not in our life times.
I believe the saying goes: "Never say 'never!'"

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsat View Post
that would be awesome! However, i believe la, mexico city or london would get a team before we would. The nfl will most likely think twice about putting another team in a "smaller" market (when larger ones may be available).

Furthermore, i'm not sure the owners would approve it (i.e., jerry jones and bob mcnair may push for a vote against a team in sa...right now). And that is not to mention voter approval of funds for a new stadium (in the neighborhood of $500mm-$600mm).

It's not impossible...and i'd like to see it happen...but, i too, am not holding my breath...for now.
I have been wrong before, but if one of those cities you list gets a team it will be an expansion team. The league does not gain much from moving teams unless they are in horrible markets (example Jacksonville).

There is too much money in expansion and those are probably the only 3 cities that could afford a new franchise in today's NFL. Now if one of those cities gets an expansion team I could see another one getting a relocation, but it would happen in that order.

There are 3 teams that are in trouble right now; Jacksonville, San Diego, and Oakland. If at least one of these teams does not move in the next 5 years I would be surprised.

Metro's Over 1.5 million:
Los Angeles - 18.24 million (CSA) No brainer
Portland - 2.99 million (CSA) not an NFL town. Plus two College teams
Orlando - 2.92 million (CSA) Too close to Tampa? Money?
Sacramento - 2.46 million (CSA) Possible. Stadium? Cali is broke!
Salt Lake City - 2.35 (CSA) Too many college teams, not enough Alcohol sales!
Columbus - 2.35 million (CSA) They have OSU. 3 NFL teams in Ohio, nope
Las Vegas - 2.25 million (CSA) the NFL wont be the pioneer
San Antonio - 2.23 million (MSA)
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - 2.00 (CSA) NC has a team and NCAA is king on tobacco row
Austin - 1.83 million (MSA) Not gonna happen
Virginia Beach - 1.80 (CSA) Metro is too fragmented
Greensboro-Winston Salem - 1.61 (CSA) NC has a team
Providence - 1.60 million (MSA) Never

Outside of Los Angeles, San Antonio is the only city in the US that could and would support an NFL franchise on a high level. I always discredited the notion of San Antonio supporting an NFL franchise, but over the last couple of years my perception has changed. Getting an NFL Franchise would be huge for the city and the area. Of course, only as long as a stadium deal wouldn't handcuff local government.

With all of that said, I like what UTSA has going. If the NFL came to SA it would hurt UTSA's growth (of course if the possibility is there ... too bad UTSA). If the NFL doesn't come I see UTSA growing into a solid football program pretty fast; on the level of a UCF or South Florida within the next 5 years.

If the NFL comes, I am not sure if another stadium could be built downtown, but I would think that would be where you would want a new at least partially publicly funded stadium to be.

Last edited by STLtoSA; Nov 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 6:24 PM

CSA and MSA metros should not be ranked together in my opinion not a fair comparison. S.A. Has a bigger population base than many listed and with San Marcos and Austin that strengthens the regions viability of supporting an nfl team. The question isn't whether San Antonio can support a team, its more of a political thing and it probably will never happen.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Nov 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
CSA and MSA metros should not be ranked together in my opinion not a fair comparison. S.A. Has a bigger population base than many listed and with San Marcos and Austin that strengthens the regions viability of supporting an nfl team. The question isn't whether San Antonio can support a team, its more of a political thing and it probably will never happen.
I don't agree with your assessment of CSA vs MSA, especially in this comparison. Raliegh-Durham-Chapel Hill, Virginia Beach-Norfolk, and Greensboro-Winston Salem are the only 3 listed that do not have an established core.

All of the Metros on the list that I presented are bigger than San Antonio. I only listed MSA numbers if a CSA does not exist. If San Antonio was part of a CSA, I would have used that figure, but it is not. So in my opinion they are viable comparisons because using CSA where it exists is a better reflection of the market in question.

As for the San Antonio and Austin coming together in support of an NFL team, don't hold your breath. If San Antonio gets a team it will be because of San Antonio, not a combination of the two cities. For MLB I believe that the San Antonio/Austin thing holds a little more weight, but not for football...not in this state.

I agree that it most likely will not happen and that politics will be the major factor, but outside of Los Angeles, I see San Antonio as the best US Market without an NFL franchise.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I have been wrong before, but if one of those cities you list gets a team it will be an expansion team. The league does not gain much from moving teams unless they are in horrible markets (example Jacksonville).

There is too much money in expansion and those are probably the only 3 cities that could afford a new franchise in today's NFL. Now if one of those cities gets an expansion team I could see another one getting a relocation, but it would happen in that order.

There are 3 teams that are in trouble right now; Jacksonville, San Diego, and Oakland. If at least one of these teams does not move in the next 5 years I would be surprised.

Metro's Over 1.5 million:
Los Angeles - 18.24 million (CSA) No brainer
Portland - 2.99 million (CSA) not an NFL town. Plus two College teams
Orlando - 2.92 million (CSA) Too close to Tampa? Money?
Sacramento - 2.46 million (CSA) Possible. Stadium? Cali is broke!
Salt Lake City - 2.35 (CSA) Too many college teams, not enough Alcohol sales!
Columbus - 2.35 million (CSA) They have OSU. 3 NFL teams in Ohio, nope
Las Vegas - 2.25 million (CSA) the NFL wont be the pioneer
San Antonio - 2.23 million (MSA)
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill - 2.00 (CSA) NC has a team and NCAA is king on tobacco row
Austin - 1.83 million (MSA) Not gonna happen
Virginia Beach - 1.80 (CSA) Metro is too fragmented
Greensboro-Winston Salem - 1.61 (CSA) NC has a team
Providence - 1.60 million (MSA) Never

Outside of Los Angeles, San Antonio is the only city in the US that could and would support an NFL franchise on a high level. I always discredited the notion of San Antonio supporting an NFL franchise, but over the last couple of years my perception has changed. Getting an NFL Franchise would be huge for the city and the area. Of course, only as long as a stadium deal wouldn't handcuff local government.

With all of that said, I like what UTSA has going. If the NFL came to SA it would hurt UTSA's growth (of course if the possibility is there ... too bad UTSA). If the NFL doesn't come I see UTSA growing into a solid football program pretty fast; on the level of a UCF or South Florida within the next 5 years.

If the NFL comes, I am not sure if another stadium could be built downtown, but I would think that would be where you would want a new at least partially publicly funded stadium to be.
Urbanized area San Antonio is bigger than most on the list, same size as Portland, larger than Columbus,Ohio, Orlando, Salt Lake, Sacramento. I know the Nfl looks at regional population base and san Marcos,Kyle,Austin, are not technically a part of S.A., but it could easily be looked as if they were a CSA. Over 4 million people in 5 adjacent counties along I35. You can't claim a population this size for any of those regions listed.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 10:38 PM

I think our biggest problem is our media market. We are still very tiny.
I believe our city "leaders" should be more focused on our media market rather than street car.
How? I have no idea.

By the way, I live in S.A. and I will be driving up to Austin to see the F1 Race!

Last edited by Daren; Nov 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Urbanized area San Antonio is bigger than most on the list, same size as Portland, larger than Columbus,Ohio, Orlando, Salt Lake, Sacramento. I know the Nfl looks at regional population base and san Marcos,Kyle,Austin, are not technically a part of S.A., but it could easily be looked as if they were a CSA. Over 4 million people in 5 adjacent counties along I35. You can't claim a population this size for any of those regions listed.
The "regional" population between the Triad (Greensboro-WS), and Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) is just under 4 million. It is 55 miles from Durham or Chapel Hill to Greensboro, which is about what it is from Schertz to Buda. Raleigh-Durham is also 24th (or 27th, depending where you look) in media market share; SA by comparison is 36th and 37th on those same lists.

I am not arguing against SA, quite the opposite, I agree with STLtoSA in that the NCAA is king around here, and I may be a bit bias, but I just don't get that same energy or vibe as I do in SA, and it may be due to the fact that there is no real "core" here as SA has (although there is a 23-story residential tower going up in DT Raleigh, but thats another topic). SA may not be tops in media market share, but it does pop up 8th on "Hispanic or Latino TV Homes", whatever that's worth to the NFL (growing city, growing demographic?), which outside of LA, makes it second on the list as next best possible location. And not for that reason alone, but for the fact that it is a healthy city in a football, beer drinking state, with some numbers to justify, just to name a few.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Just off of the top of my head I would say that LA, Portland, Columbus, and Providence (maybe even Salt Lake City) have a larger Urbanized area than San Antonio. City Population does not equal Urbanized area.

In addition, Urbanized area does not even factor into the equation for an NFL franchise (at least I don't understand how). As it has been pointed out; Socio-economics, Market size, Corporate presence, and shear fandom are the main components.

I think that you miss the point of my initial post...I was arguing that San Antonio outside of LA is the best choice. The list was to show other Metros that do not have a franchise.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:22 PM
Paradise

^^ According to this list(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...10_Urban_Areas), SA has a larger UA than all of those cities except LA and Portland. But it's much more than just population for an NFL team to relocate. If that was the case, LA would have had one in a second.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
^^ According to this list(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...10_Urban_Areas), SA has a larger UA than all of those cities except LA and Portland.
Well I am not a big fan of UA and when I see someone use the term Urbanized Area I think of something completely different than that of the Census Bureau's definition.

Anyways, my response wasn't necessary because it appears that Paul' was referring to UA; and to that he was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
But it's much more than just population for an NFL team to relocate. If that was the case, LA would have had one in a second.
Agreed, which is why I posted this:
In addition, Urbanized area does not even factor into the equation for an NFL franchise (at least I don't understand how). As it has been pointed out; Socio-economics, Market size, Corporate presence, and shear fandom are the main components.

Population was only used to produce a list of possible (not probable) NFL candidate cities.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 3:26 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
sorry p. you're all confused again.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
Well I am not a big fan of UA and when I see someone use the term Urbanized Area I think of something completely different than that of the Census Bureau's definition.

Anyways, my response wasn't necessary because it appears that Paul' was referring to UA; and to that he was correct.

Agreed, which is why I posted this:

Population was only used to produce a list of possible (not probable) NFL candidate cities.

I just wanted to point out that the cities mentioned are not larger cities based on urbanized area or the offical metro rankings, not a secondary list that combines both CSA and MSA.

Back on the subject of CSA's. This population classification consits of more than one metro area, and this is why I say its not an equal comparrison versus a single MSA.

I am quite aware that the TV market size is the first thing the NFL looks at, and the other things you mentioned, which in fact would favor San Antonio and, put it at the top of the list of possible relocation or expansion cities. San Antonio has the largest corporate base of the cities mentioned, healthy socio-economics and, is, definitely football crazy. However, TV market size isnt really a measurement of a city's size. The Indianpolis TV market is larger than San Diego's and, San Diego is just one rank above, Nashville. Which metro is bigger out of those cities?

Having a larger TV market helps more on a marketable standpont and should not be the only indicator if a region can support a team. A large Population base in close proximity to NFL venue is equally if not more important than a television set tuning in 100 miles out. Nonetheless all important factors in attracting a NFL franchise.

A future NFL city should be based on how heathly the economy is, future growth, and the regional population even if it crosses into another metro's boundaries. Austin-San Marcos should definitely be a part of San Antonio's equation. As well as all South Texas, the Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi, and Laredo.

A San Antonio NFL team versus the Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers would certanly sell out over and over.

The success of the San Antonio Spurs has made the name 'San Antonio' somewhat of a household name when it comes to pro sports.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Nov 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio