HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 10:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

good news —

Transit crime plunged in NYC during March; major felonies citywide see substantial drops, NYPD reports

By Emily Davenport
Posted on April 3, 2024

more:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ts/ar-BB1l22li

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 7:47 AM

Are there any renders of the new Grand Central Madison entrances that will be incorporated into 270 Park Avenue?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 10:21 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

$430M for path rehab -

Port Authority plans $430M rehabilitation for PATH train system

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on April 7, 2024

The Port Authority plans to invest $430 million over two years to rehabilitate the PATH train between New York and New Jersey, the agency announced last week.

Under its PATH Forward program, the bi-state agency says it will invest in rebuilding and rehabilitating its bridges, tracks, switches, and stations over the next two years. At 116 years of age, the PATH — which runs under the Hudson River between Manhattan and New Jersey’s Hudson and Essex counties — is nearly as old as New York’s subway, and alone is the fifth busiest rapid transit system in the country.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/port-au...on-path-train/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 11:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 12:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

2024 is the 30th anniversary of the metrocard —
first at whitehall and wall stations —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5V4D...w3bGs2anZoaTA=

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 3:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

moving away from the paper window tickets for parking to pay by plate --

New ‘pay-by-plate’ parking meters are coming to NYC streets. Here’s what that means for drivers.

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on April 8, 2024

New York City is serving up out new parking meters that will allow drivers to “pay-by-plate.”

The new meters, which will first be rolled out in Upper Manhattan on May 8 before a gradual rollout to the rest of the city, will allow New Yorkers to pay for parking by entering their license plate number into the meter.

That will allow the city to stop producing massive amounts of waste from paper parking receipts, which parkers place on their dashboard as proof of payment.

Each year, New York City parking meters produce about 2,500 miles worth of receipts, enough to stretch all the way from New York to Los Angeles, the city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) says.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/pay-by-...ng-meters-nyc/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:31 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

whoa -- beware the barnacle !!

Is the ‘Barnacle’ the NYPD’s answer to stopping parking scofflaws in their tracks?

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on April 9, 2024

New York City parking scofflaws are feeling the long, clingy arm of the law.

The NYPD has deployed a new weapon designed to immobilize the vehicles of parking scofflaws: the “Barnacle,” a rectangular device that sticks to the windshield with such force that it’s been compared to the tiny crustaceans known to cling to ship bottoms.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/nypd-ba...ing-scofflaws/

The NYPD has started deploying “barnacle” windshield boots to attach to scofflaws’ vehicles.NYPD Transport via X

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:43 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

28th Street Station

E&M at Lexington Ave-53rd Street Station

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ a rare M train sighting in the wild !

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:55 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ a rare M train sighting in the wild !
Its back to normal.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 4:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

So the entire NYC transit enthusiast/strategist community is bummed NYCT didn't keep the F/M swap permanent after 63 St reopened. It should be obvious the E/F should run through the 53 St tunnel but until they start running better 6 Av local M service especially evenings/weekends they have a reason to keep the F on 63 St, but longer term the swap needs to be done.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:05 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So the entire NYC transit enthusiast/strategist community is bummed NYCT didn't keep the F/M swap permanent after 63 St reopened. It should be obvious the E/F should run through the 53 St tunnel but until they start running better 6 Av local M service especially evenings/weekends they have a reason to keep the F on 63 St, but longer term the swap needs to be done.
I don't mind that for the weekends, even if 53 St station is 10 blocks further from me than 63 St. It was good to have increased frequency of either E or F trains going to Queens.

The issue with 63 St are the elevators at 3rd Av. They are simply terrible considering how new they are. Their doors are slow to close and open, slow to go up and down, and often have service issues where they don't even stop at your floor. So once you arrive outside at 3rd Av & 63 St, you'd need to bank at least 3-4 minutes extra to get to the lowest floor (Queens and Uptown-bound trains) because of how slow the elevators are. I've missed weekend trains because of them and needed to wait another 10+ minutes for the next one.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 12:13 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

when the conductor gets real with you door holder people —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ir8...FvZnkzZzA3YzJu

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:18 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

record ferry ridership —

NYC Ferry Hits Record Ridership At Start Of 2024

Story by BK Reader Staff

The NYC Ferry has had a record-setting start to the year, with more than 1,081,878 riders traveling onboard the system between January 1 and March 31, 2024.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...24/ar-BB1lyL4j

Old Posted Today, 10:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

aerials of the ibx route in eny —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5ns2...ZjMmh5NnI0YQ==

Old Posted Today, 2:49 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
record ferry ridership —

NYC Ferry Hits Record Ridership At Start Of 2024

Story by BK Reader Staff

The NYC Ferry has had a record-setting start to the year, with more than 1,081,878 riders traveling onboard the system between January 1 and March 31, 2024.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...24/ar-BB1lyL4j
I took the ferry from Bay Ridge to the newly-reopened Governor's Island ferry dock for the Easter Egg hunt about 2.5 weeks back. It was a great route.

My kid's mom refuses to take him on the Subway, even though they live right by the N train. He's still young, so she's afraid that the loud subway noises, crazies, and homeless might scare him at this age. So we choose to only drive, walk, take the ferry, or take the bus.

Another good ferry is the Ikea Ferry from/to Red Hook. We parked at Ikea and took the earliest ferry from Red Hook at 11:20am. We saw a puppet show at the revamped Battery Park, spent some time at the new playground there, and then went back to Pier 11 to take the ferry back to Red Hook.

The catch here is that you only have, at most, a shade under 4 hrs to spend in the city before you need to go back (or a shade under 5 hrs if you take the ferry from Pier 79 at W 39 St). So it's good for a quick jaunt, and it's completely free.

Speaking of ferries and boats, we had to duck into the Whitehall terminal building (SI Ferry) because of the sudden rain on Saturday. Some of the most annoying solicitors around are those Liberty Island ferry salesmen. They constantly ask you if you are going to the Statue of Liberty, and when you ignore them, they keep saying "excuse me, excuse me" as you walk away. Some of them are so aggressive, and they even go inside the Ferry Building to solicit business (which I'm sure is illegal). I suppose I could have been nicer and more direct by saying "no, we are not going to the statue" instead of ignoring them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation