HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:50 PM

Most big cities are now polyglot - maybe not 637. However I cannot recommend ATL airport posting directions in more than 50-100 languages. Flight announcements could last hours and what is 'priority boarding" in Tagalog?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:05 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
They're wholly related issues. London has dropped to 40% indigenous and whiped out the lower classes. Tokyo is 95% indigenous and is arguably the most affordable world city.

London lost its edge and its soul. Now it's just another boring global city.

London has been THE global city for a few hundred years now - ever since the British Empire started colonising everywhere else, it's had a constant stream of people and influences passing through from around the globe. It never was and never will be a quintessentially "British" place.

As far as the exodus of the lower classes from the city goes - I don't think it was working class immigrants (who themselves are being displaced) who displaced the white British working class.

The reason Tokyo is (arguably) the most affordable major city is indeed related to its lack of diversity - in that it has a stagnant population within a declining nation. If the UK cut off immigration then London too could stagnate while the rest of the country enters into a demographic free fall! That'd probably be worse than having a few brown people around though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:06 PM

Population decline is inevitable. Every country has to plan for it. It should be embraced as a natural part of the development cycle.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
They're wholly related issues. London has dropped to 40% indigenous and whiped out the lower classes. Tokyo is 95% indigenous and is arguably the most affordable world city.

Hmm that’s an interesting take on what makes a city exciting and vibrant...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Hmm that’s an interesting take on what makes a city exciting and vibrant...
This kinda raises a touchy question.

I mean in new world anglosphere cities the concept of a "founder demographic" is kind of a fluid thing. Certain European cities like London and Paris have also gone down this path to a considerable degree.

But the question I'd ask is this: would anything be lost if only a fraction of Romans (for example) were people with names like Bossi and Esposito, and that many parts of Rome had demographics and a "feel" that were reminiscent of places like Delhi, Mogadishu, Damascus, etc.?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
London has dropped to 40% indigenous and whiped out the lower classes. Tokyo is 95% indigenous and is arguably the most affordable world city.
And just about every major US city besides Anchorage, Alaska and Tulsa, Oklahoma is less than 5% indigenous. Imagine that...

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...ion-percentage

Quote:

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This kinda raises a touchy question.

I mean in new world anglosphere cities the concept of a "founder demographic" is kind of a fluid thing. Certain European cities like London and Paris have also gone down this path to a considerable degree.

But the question I'd ask is this: would anything be lost if only a fraction of Romans (for example) were people with names like Bossi and Esposito, and that many parts of Rome had demographics and a "feel" that were reminiscent of places like Delhi, Mogadishu, Damascus, etc.?
Why just the New World Anglosphere?

The overwhelming majority of North and South America is not indigenous in ancestry (and much of the non-European ancestry in many parts of it isn't indigenous either, but African descent, like in Brazil, the Caribbean etc.).

On a global scale, Europe, Asia and Africa are still pretty much majority "indigenous", even if many places within them are not (e.g. London, Paris, Dubai, Singapore).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:

Do you merely care if the people who are Roman citizens with roots in Delhi, Mogadishu and Damascus look different than the Bossi's and the Esposito's but are culturally similar, or is it implied that you cannot keep the culture of the Bossi's and the Esposito's unless the people are actually descendants of the Bossi's and the Esposito's?

It's so easy to sneak in connotations of one implying the other sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:59 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Do you merely care if the people who are Roman citizens with roots in Delhi, Mogadishu and Damascus look different than the Bossi's and the Esposito's but are culturally similar, or is it implied that you cannot keep the culture of the Bossi's and the Esposito's unless the people are actually descendants of the Bossi's and the Esposito's?

It's so easy to sneak in connotations of one implying the other sometimes.
I am not talking about me caring either way, just wondering what people think. I do know there are différent potential scenarios.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Why just the Anglosphere?]
Perhaps I should have, but I did not have in mind indigenous populations in the usual sense.

I picked the Anglosphere because they have a heightened consciousness for such things, and are less likely to feel like a certain place belongs to a certain group of people.

In most of the non-anglo Americas, the local majority group of long establishment often considers themselves indigenous ou quasi indigenous. When they think of this at all.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:

How do you come to this 40% "indigenous" figure?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
How do you come to this 40% "indigenous" figure?
I have definitely heard this figure before.

Obviously it refers to UK-born white Brits who mostly have names like Smith and Wilson.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:22 AM

Quote:
In most of the non-anglo Americas, the local majority group of long establishment often considers themselves indigenous ou quasi indigenous. When they think of this at all.
Jamaica still pays tribute heavily to its African roots -- see reggae music for instance. Black Jamaicans are the majority but the fact that they are part of the African diaspora that was brought involuntarily as forced labor to replace the original islanders (who died from European conquest) is still part of the cultural consciousness.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the French and Hispanic Americas' relationship with their indigenous past but I know Haitians changed their namesake island from Saint-Domingue to an indigenous name post-revolution as a symbolic gesture.

Also, I don't think there's any real gatekeeper to consult for considering yourself "indigenous" or "quasi indigenous" either but I am pointing out that I still see the point of those who say "well, all the New Worlders are equally "non-native", unless they trace roots to Amerindians who literally did become the first people to occupy the land, speak and develop thousands of languages, cultures, tribes, ways of life etc. only found there and developed there for thousands or years not hundreds until they were so heavily decimated, so a Chinese Vancouverite, Jewish New Yorker, Black Jamaican, Italian Argentine, even French Canadian are still "non-native compared to the real "deep-rooted inhabitants". I also see the point of those who say all these people mentioned who came in the last few centuries or generations are "natives", maybe not necessarily using the term indigenous but you can if you like, because they are born and raised in their place of cultural origin and upbringing and thus contribute to their city, so it doesn't matter if 10 years ago was when their family arrived, 100 or 1000 years. Both perspectives have their points. But it's trickier for me to judge the validity of the "within the groups that have moved to the New World and also back and forth within it in the last 500, 400 years, who is more legit", like is Anglo-oriented Italian, Greek or Jewish Montrealer, German Midwesterner, or Chinese Vancouverite its own "native" identity enough as French Canadian or African American, if you are going to argue that French Canadian or African American is on par with (or at least close to) Navajo, Ojibwe and Inuit in "nativeness"?

I also don't care to judge if a self-declared 1% Cherokee white US southerner has more claim on calling their country their native land vs. Hispanic border town residents between Texas and Mexico who are I dunno 70% indigenous New Worlder by descent and 30% European colonist by ancestry or something, but who are children of illegal undocumented immigrants who crossed back and forth sometime a decade or two ago. But people will make these arguments.

But I guess the only gatekeeping there is who has power (the power can be political, legal, socio-economic, cultural such as mass media etc.) to shape the character of the place. This includes not just power to decide who to let in and who to not let in by immigration, but also how to organize and promote your domestic culture, teach it in school, portray and also showcase your nation's self-image in the media to your own citizens, and even to the world (e.g. that's why African Americans, Asian Americans etc. care so much about seeing themselves in the image of America for instance in Hollywood movies). The fact of how long a person (or their family/ancestry) has been in a place is only one factor among others that shape whether they are seen by others or by self as "established".

After all, Ashkenazi Jews could call themselves "native" or indigenous to places like Germany, France, even Poland, Russia and by time elasped, they may have a greater claim to those places (being there in Medieval times) than even the most deeply rooted non-indigenous new worlders (eg. African Americans, French Canadian, Tejanos, New England Puritan descendants etc.). But it's not shocking why despite more than 1000 years in European countries, they never felt at home or saw themselves as the "indigenous" Europeans, while in the US, which was far more friendly and accomodating, they became "native New Yorkers" etc. Some members of racial minorities have expressed the sentiment that in places like the US feel like they're felt to feel they don't "belong" as much as white Americans regardless of if they've been there as long as white Americans.

If we're willing to bite the bullet on okay, let's reject the "liberal" consensus (more common in the Anglo world like you say, but I can't help but wonder if it's also since the Anglo world is so powerful and not threatened by cultural loss but is in fact "winning", they're more able to afford to spend a little reflection on "historical guilt", like the British Empire and then later the US, throwing the weight of Anglo culture on everyone) regarding "everyone belongs everywhere" we still have to make the judgement call on why we think one land belongs to another more "legitimately". Is it just status quo from past military conquests?

Then it just is all about realpolitik and power (or perhaps past power, which might be militaristic then, but now is economic/social/cultural like how US or Anglo culture doesn't need to spread by Americans physically moving and colonizing places).

Who gets to decide the character of London, New York, Paris etc.? And does the answer differ for some town of ten thousand rural folks instead? Is it those with money parked there, those with deep roots in the city, those with other connections etc.?

And if it is about a battle between various people who all want to see the city change or not change in some direction or another (e.g. some guy wants more immigrants/transplants, some guy wants fewer; some guy wants to see the historical building preserved, others think a new shopping mall is better, some are glad to see diverse restaurants replace "traditional" cuisine, others are sad to see them go) and the results of the battle are based on say money, or ability to lobby politicians or something, then it's still realpolitik and pragmatic and there's no principle on "who belongs" any more than there was in the days when "who belongs" was decided by war-ships and battalions or swordsmen and archers. At least, I'll concede cultural battles are at least fought in more civilized ways (even if they can get nasty now like debates about immigration and gentrification etc.) with lower casualty counts, than in the days when "this place has changed" meant that the city-state across the hill sacked your city state and killed all its soldiers, took its women and kids as wives and labor and forced assimilation.

Whatever upset I'll have that my favorite pizza parlor has been replaced by a restaurant from a cuisine I don't like as much by a mom and pop, or that I'm hearing more languages I don't understand on the bus, I'll still concede that what they're doing is perfectly respectful and voluntary if they aren't doing anything illegal or harming me personally, and as long as they are not trying to "impose" their culture on me, there's no comparison to the past ways in which cultures spread that were far more nasty (military conquest, border disputes, pogroms, forced assimilation, relocations) or even things that are going now in the world (like China's forced assimilation of Uigher minorities).

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 5:55 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Jamaica still pays tribute heavily to its African roots -- see reggae music for instance. Black Jamaicans are the majority but the fact that they are part of the African diaspora that was brought involuntarily as forced labor to replace the original islanders (who died from European conquest) is still part of the cultural consciousness.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the French and Hispanic Americas' relationship with their indigenous past but I know Haitians changed their namesake island from Saint-Domingue to an indigenous name post-revolution as a symbolic gesture.

Also, I don't think there's any real gatekeeper to consult for considering yourself "indigenous" or "quasi indigenous" either but I am pointing out that I still see the point of those who say "well, all the New Worlders are equally "non-native", unless they trace roots to Amerindians who literally did become the first people to occupy the land, speak and develop thousands of languages, cultures, tribes, ways of life etc. only found there and developed there for thousands or years not hundreds until they were so heavily decimated, so a Chinese Vancouverite, Jewish New Yorker, Black Jamaican, Italian Argentine, even French Canadian are still "non-native compared to the real "deep-rooted inhabitants". I also see the point of those who say all these people mentioned who came in the last few centuries or generations are "natives", maybe not necessarily using the term indigenous but you can if you like, because they are born and raised in their place of cultural origin and upbringing and thus contribute to their city, so it doesn't matter if 10 years ago was when their family arrived, 100 or 1000 years. Both perspectives have their points. But it's trickier for me to judge the validity of the "within the groups that have moved to the New World and also back and forth within it in the last 500, 400 years, who is more legit", like is Anglo-oriented Italian, Greek or Jewish Montrealer, German Midwesterner, or Chinese Vancouverite its own "native" identity enough as French Canadian or African American, if you are going to argue that French Canadian or African American is on par with (or at least close to) Navajo, Ojibwe and Inuit in "nativeness"?

I also don't care to judge if a self-declared 1% Cherokee white US southerner has more claim on calling their country their native land vs. Hispanic border town residents between Texas and Mexico who are I dunno 70% indigenous New Worlder by descent and 30% European colonist by ancestry or something, but who are children of illegal undocumented immigrants who crossed back and forth sometime a decade or two ago. But people will make these arguments.

But I guess the only gatekeeping there is who has power (the power can be political, legal, socio-economic, cultural such as mass media etc.) to shape the character of the place. This includes not just power to decide who to let in and who to not let in by immigration, but also how to organize and promote your domestic culture, teach it in school, portray and also showcase your nation's self-image in the media to your own citizens, and even to the world (e.g. that's why African Americans, Asian Americans etc. care so much about seeing themselves in the image of America for instance in Hollywood movies). The fact of how long a person (or their family/ancestry) has been in a place is only one factor among others that shape whether they are seen by others or by self as "established".

After all, Ashkenazi Jews could call themselves "native" or indigenous to places like Germany, France, even Poland, Russia and by time elasped, they may have a greater claim to those places (being there in Medieval times) than even the most deeply rooted non-indigenous new worlders (eg. African Americans, French Canadian, Tejanos, New England Puritan descendants etc.). But it's not shocking why despite more than 1000 years in European countries, they never felt at home or saw themselves as the "indigenous" Europeans, while in the US, which was far more friendly and accomodating, they became "native New Yorkers" etc. Some members of racial minorities have expressed the sentiment that in places like the US feel like they're felt to feel they don't "belong" as much as white Americans regardless of if they've been there as long as white Americans.

If we're willing to bite the bullet on okay, let's reject the "liberal" consensus (more common in the Anglo world like you say, but I can't help but wonder if it's also since the Anglo world is so powerful and not threatened by cultural loss but is in fact "winning", they're more able to afford to spend a little reflection on "historical guilt", like the British Empire and then later the US, throwing the weight of Anglo culture on everyone) regarding "everyone belongs everywhere" we still have to make the judgement call on why we think one land belongs to another more "legitimately". Is it just status quo from past military conquests?

Then it just is all about realpolitik and power (or perhaps past power, which might be militaristic then, but now is economic/social/cultural like how US or Anglo culture doesn't need to spread by Americans physically moving and colonizing places).

Who gets to decide the character of London, New York, Paris etc.? And does the answer differ for some town of ten thousand rural folks instead? Is it those with money parked there, those with deep roots in the city, those with other connections etc.?

And if it is about a battle between various people who all want to see the city change or not change in some direction or another (e.g. some guy wants more immigrants/transplants, some guy wants fewer; some guy wants to see the historical building preserved, others think a new shopping mall is better, some are glad to see diverse restaurants replace "traditional" cuisine, others are sad to see them go) and the results of the battle are based on say money, or ability to lobby politicians or something, then it's still realpolitik and pragmatic and there's no principle on "who belongs" any more than there was in the days when "who belongs" was decided by war-ships and battalions or swordsmen and archers. At least, I'll concede cultural battles are at least fought in more civilized ways (even if they can get nasty now like debates about immigration and gentrification etc.) with lower casualty counts, than in the days when "this place has changed" meant that the city-state across the hill sacked your city state and killed all its soldiers, took its women and kids as wives and labor and forced assimilation.

Whatever upset I'll have that my favorite pizza parlor has been replaced by a restaurant from a cuisine I don't like as much by a mom and pop, or that I'm hearing more languages I don't understand on the bus, I'll still concede that what they're doing is perfectly respectful and voluntary if they aren't doing anything illegal or harming me personally, and as long as they are not trying to "impose" their culture on me, there's no comparison to the past ways in which cultures spread that were far more nasty (military conquest, border disputes, pogroms, forced assimilation, relocations) or even things that are going now in the world (like China's forced assimilation of Uigher minorities).
Widespread anxiety over assimilation and cultural continuity only really exists in Québec/French Canada due largely to the absence of national sovereignty.

No one in Mexico or Peru wonders if their home will remain Mexican or Peruvian (as they know it).

So my guess is that the different mindset compared to the US and (Anglo-)Canada might be due to a greater mixing between non-indigenous and indigenous populations. (Anglo settlers mixed way less with the natives than the Spanish, Portuguese and French did.)

Even if the indigenous admixture for many people is minimal it still has an effect on how they view their country.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 7:01 AM

Quote:
The diversity really adds to the character of New York and Toronto.

London no longer feels English and has made the city quite boring and (dare I say it) American.
Why does diversity add to the character of New York and Toronto, but take away from the character of London? What is different?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 9:36 AM
BANNED

What is "indigenous" anyway? Or is it just a word we slap on whoever lived in a place 600 years ago and pretend that before 1500, ethnicities just sat in one place for tens of thousands of years?

Newsflash: Most Germans in Germany aren't even indigenous, so what are you really trying to say? Kinda reminds me of how in North America "diverse" is just code for "not whatever I consider white".

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Why does diversity add to the character of New York and Toronto, but take away from the character of London? What is different?
Whether diversity adds a lot to the character of Toronto is a matter of debate. Not that it detracts from it or that people regret it went that way. Most everyone is on board for that aspect of it.

As for NYC well it pretty much invented the concept of The World in One City last century so that is its character.
Which kind of makes Toronto doing something similar appear less special.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Car Go View Post
What is "indigenous" anyway? Or is it just a word we slap on whoever lived in a place 600 years ago and pretend that before 1500, ethnicities just sat in one place for tens of thousands of years?

Newsflash: Most Germans in Germany aren't even indigenous, so what are you really trying to say? Kinda reminds me of how in North America "diverse" is just code for "not whatever I consider white".
In certain parts of the Americas or the new world the areas eventually settled by Europeans were not really inhabited by indigenous peoples in the first place. It is not a 100% hard and fast rule that people were booted off their ancestral lands everywhere non-indigenous people live today.

BTW this does not mean I do not support indigenous peoples' rights.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I have definitely heard this figure before.

Obviously it refers to UK-born white Brits who mostly have names like Smith and Wilson.
That's not a particularly low ratio, though. If 40% of London is English, or even British, that's pretty typical for global cities in Northern Europe. Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Zurich, Amsterdam, Brussels would have similar or lower ratios. I believe less than 20% of students in Frankfurt and Stuttgart schools have a German background.

And that would be quite high for North American standards. How many major U.S. or Canadian metros are 40% from a single national background?

Also, the top immigrant groups to London are mostly from neighboring countries or former Crown holdings. Ireland, Poland, Germany, Australia, India. An Irish immigrant to London doesn't contribute to cultural and linguistic diversity to the same level as, say, Persians or Sri Lankans in Toronto.

I don't think the previously referenced "loss of character" is directly tied to immigration. I think it's more globalization, and the UK's status as the European beachhead for U.S. cultural imperialism. A London high street has basically the exact same stores as in NYC and LA, and the cultural touchstones have nearly merged. It's kinda like Anglo Canada. I remember the singer Morrissey, when asked why he moved to LA when he was so pro-British, said something like "the U.S. consolidated UK culture so what does it matter". Places like Stuttgart and Brussels, while very multicultural (and quite boring, in contrast to London) don't feel remotely American, though.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Car Go View Post

I don't think this is true. Germans are descended from the Germanic tribes, who occupied the same geography. Since the industrial revolution, manufacturing areas have received heavy immigration from Poland, but I don't think there was any other major pre WW2 immigration source.

Germany wasn't France, with a huge 19th century worker shortage. And obviously Germany struggled mightily after WW1. People were near-starvation in some areas. The UK finally convinced France to (slightly) back off on the punative measures (thanks in big part to JM Keynes).

Immigration to Germany is a very recent concept. Even the postwar immigrants were considered "guest workers" not immigrants. In fact most of my older German relatives still refer to them "guests" or "visitors".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions