HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
I’ve seen some of the more bitter folks calling us the Austin Horsethieves on social media. If we’re going to be one of the more despised teams (temporarily) why not embrace it? As a tribute to Prince, may I suggest:

“The team formerly known as the Columbus Crew”

What social media?.Probably that weird Linda Curtis or that egomaniac Bill Aleshire..He loves himself way too much. Hey Bill, this 2018 not 1978..The city has grown up, get the f--k out of the way.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 9:07 PM
クラブトクヨ

Question for everyone, I saw this apartment being built today, this is McKalla right? The apartments will bud right up to the stadium?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
What social media?.Probably that weird Linda Curtis or that egomaniac Bill Aleshire..He loves himself way too much. Hey Bill, this 2018 not 1978..The city has grown up, get the f--k out of the way.
I went down a twitter hole yesterday after the vote. Seemed to be Columbus fans.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Question for everyone, I saw this apartment being built today, this is McKalla right? The apartments will bud right up to the stadium?

This is looking eastward from Burnet?

There are multiple projects near McKalla.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...n-takes-shape/

If this is the Copeland, north of McKalla, I don't believe it'll be right up to the stadium (though they may be right up to the property line).

The PSV site proposal seems to orient the stadium mostly along the SW edge of the lot. With space (and parking?) in between the stadium and those apartments.

http://mls2atx.com/mls2atx-releases-...dable-housing/

http://mls2atx.com/wp-content/upload...-Site-Plan.pdf

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:07 AM

Thanks to everyone on here that wrote letters/called CM's/got involved. I can't believe something like this didn't get shut down in our city. Just goes to show how bad people wanted it and were paying attention. Grats and hope to have a beer at McKalla place with you guys someday.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning19 View Post
Thanks to everyone on here that wrote letters/called CM's/got involved. I can't believe something like this didn't get shut down in our city. Just goes to show how bad people wanted it and were paying attention. Grats and hope to have a beer at McKalla place with you guys someday.

Are you #hipster6?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Are you #hipster6?
Um...clllooosseeee

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post

Yup. There is one on the north and another on the south. And a lot more coming.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning19 View Post
I sent Kitchen a very polite text yesterday sincerely thanking her on behalf of my family for her yes vote....she responded late last night with a one word text, "welcome".

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I sent Kitchen a very polite text yesterday sincerely thanking her on behalf of my family for her yes vote....she responded late last night with a one word text, "welcome".
I sent her a note as well thanking her for her work in building consensus on the council and working with Precourt to come up with a win-win. We had a fairly contentious back and forth over Butler Shores months ago but I do feel like she listened to all of her constituents on this rather than just a very small anti-anything group. I'm fairly certain that the efforts of the pro-soccer crowd,both in terms of emails and showing up for info sessions and council meetings, made a difference with Kitchen, Flannigan and Tovo.

Oh, and I sent Pool a note as well telling her that her actions going to Columbus (and seemingly supporting the interests of Columbus residents over her own Austin constituents) and being disrespectful to Precout post-vote were a disgrace and that I will work to see her defeated in her next election.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClendonRoss View Post
I sent her a note as well thanking her for her work in building consensus on the council and working with Precourt to come up with a win-win. We had a fairly contentious back and forth over Butler Shores months ago but I do feel like she listened to all of her constituents on this rather than just a very small anti-anything group. I'm fairly certain that the efforts of the pro-soccer crowd,both in terms of emails and showing up for info sessions and council meetings, made a difference with Kitchen, Flannigan and Tovo.

Oh, and I sent Pool a note as well telling her that her actions going to Columbus (and seemingly supporting the interests of Columbus residents over her own Austin constituents) and being disrespectful to Precout post-vote were a disgrace and that I will work to see her defeated in her next election.
LIKE Button

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:15 AM

I just took a pool. It was pretty satisfying.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 12:46 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Dropped a pool off at the pool?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Dropped a pool off at the pool?
See Genral's post #1763.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 1:29 AM

True story...my neighbor's Great Pyrenees broke through my fence and took a huge Leslie Pool in my yard. Its so big I thought it was a rabbit.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
True story...my neighbor's Great Pyrenees broke through my fence and took a huge Leslie Pool in my yard. Its so big I thought it was a rabbit.
The sight of a big Leslie Pool just sitting there, in your yard, must be beyond disgusting.

Anyway, what does everyone think of the new USL team's chances of actually playing or staying in Austin? Can Austin support both a USL and MLS team? I think the USL team might do OK here until the MLS stadium is actually built and the Crew starts playing. But they may have to move after that.

Also, I saw some Twitter posts about Precourt and the RR Express being in talks about the 2019 season. I know UT would be centrally located, but playing a season in RR might work.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:19 AM

How would the field work if the two sports overlap? Would you see the dirt infield like at the Raiders/A’s stadium?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
How would the field work if the two sports overlap? Would you see the dirt infield like at the Raiders/A’s stadium?
I don't think that has been worked out at this point.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 2:37 AM

[QUOTE Anyway, what does everyone think of the new USL team's chances of actually playing or staying in Austin? Can Austin support both a USL and MLS team? I think the USL team might do OK here until the MLS stadium is actually built and the Crew starts playing. But they may have to move after that. [/QUOTE]

It appears Epstein is bringing in some well known talent although they are probably pass their prime, they could still garner some attention and fans. 5000 seat stadiums in the USL are not uncommon, but it doesn't scream big league to me. I think once the new MLS stadium is up and running, there will be plenty of Austin Bold seats available. I'm not a soccer fan, but I plan on giving our MLS team to be named a chance and I will be in attendance. I will never go to COTA to watch a match there. I predict FAIL. And when they do decide to move, I hear Columbus OH. is looking for a team...now wouldn't that be ironic.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 3:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
[QUOTE Anyway, what does everyone think of the new USL team's chances of actually playing or staying in Austin? Can Austin support both a USL and MLS team? I think the USL team might do OK here until the MLS stadium is actually built and the Crew starts playing. But they may have to move after that.
It appears Epstein is bringing in some well known talent although they are probably pass their prime, they could still garner some attention and fans. 5000 seat stadiums in the USL are not uncommon, but it doesn't scream big league to me. I think once the new MLS stadium is up and running, there will be plenty of Austin Bold seats available. I'm not a soccer fan, but I plan on giving our MLS team to be named a chance and I will be in attendance. I will never go to COTA to watch a match there. I predict FAIL. And when they do decide to move, I hear Columbus OH. is looking for a team...now wouldn't that be ironic.[/QUOTE]

I must dissagree with you my good friend on this. I totally feel that both MLS and USL can do well in Austin for a couple of reasons. First the locations for both stadiums are clear across the city from each other. You have a huge Hispanic population not only in south and southeast Austin, but southeastern Travis County as a whole. I also garantee you that while I'm sure there will be people making the trek through the city in traffic, (for those who say theres no traffic on the weekends, go drive Mopac during Sat and Sun and you will still see slowdowns, not to mention it can take 15 or more minutes to get from the 290/71 split with 360 to Mopac because the traffic regularly backs up on the bridge including on weekends), there will be many people who will find it less of a hassle to get to COTA. I would also wager pricing will be different between the two. Austin's Metro is over 2.1 million and growing. We should be able to fill a 20K and 5K soccer stadiums.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin