HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
That's the thing though. The current Whitemud/Terwilligar interchange has no lights and it still sucks because the city initially cheaped-out on an alignment that should have been a no-brainer.

I don't mean to hi-jack a Winnipeg thread here, but look at the current interchange here, and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Don't make this mistake with your interchange design! Right-lane exits are more predictable to drivers, and don't require traffic to weave accross 2-3 lanes of traffic just to make an exit!
I just checked your link, and that does look a little bizarre. I imagine it must be hard for motorists turning from 53 Ave NW to Terwilliger southbound or vise versa, via the Whitemud. Or is that even possible?

When I was in Edmonton, I only used that intersection twice, as I was turning Eastbound onto the Whitemud, so it wasn't much of a problem. From the looks of the Terwilliger layout, it looks like the city is eventually planning to make the road a limited access highway right to Anthony Henday.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 11:05 PM

Now why does winnipeg have curbs right in the edges of major roads like bishop grandin and the perimetre. Now this is was makes me confused?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 1:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

because theres ditches

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Right at the bend in the hwy. Kenaston will continue south to the Perimeter. The only structure will be a flyover connecting south bound Kenaston with eastbound Bishop Grandin. I believe there will be lights for westbound Bishop Granding to the new southbound Kenaston Hwy.
Seriously? That's retarded. Do it right to begin with for a change.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I hope they don't build the interchange similiar to the Lagimodiere/North Perimeter one. That intersection is a gong show. They should make it with no traffic lights whatsoever. Spend a bit of money and build an extra offramp. It will pay for itself in the long run.
Construction is to begin this year on a new interchange there. I believe all that is planned for this year is grading for the new structure.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Seriously? That's retarded. Do it right to begin with for a change.
They can't do it right at the moment because Bishop Grandin isn't being extended right now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I agree, however my hand was forced by ChrisAllard5454. However I will not let some mediocre guitar player let this turn into another CMHR debate.'
OUCH Jets, I did say your opinion was justifiable, just so you know. In fact I agree with arguments on both sides of the debate.
I was just using that as an example and I apoligize for challenging you, but slander my guitar playing really? Is that necessary? Do you even know me as a person or a guitar player. If no than you should not base comments off of a couple of shitty quality youtube vids. (which is where I assume you saw I played guitar?). Man that comment makes years of playing seem really pointless. Thanks man!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
They can't do it right at the moment because Bishop Grandin isn't being extended right now.
They can do it without lights though. Hopefully it's being planned with a future extension of Bishop Grandin in mind, unlike what was done at Hwy 101/59.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 2:39 AM
Heart of the Continent

Bishop Grandin's extension is in the long term plan. The Perimeter was never really meant to be finished.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:48 AM

Quote:
I just checked your link, and that does look a little bizarre. I imagine it must be hard for motorists turning from 53 Ave NW to Terwilliger southbound or vise versa, via the Whitemud. Or is that even possible?
Nope.

However, the redesigned interchange will have directional ramps that exit/merge right, a gentler curve for the Whitemud through the middle, all ramps with 80 km/hr design speeds, and because of the footprint of the corridor, they managed to do all this without needing to build a 3-level interchange (crossings offset from one another). The plan is currently shelved for now because of budget constraints. This SHOULD include a basket-weave sort of access for 53 ave with both Whitemud and Terwilligar.

Quote:
When I was in Edmonton, I only used that intersection twice, as I was turning Eastbound onto the Whitemud, so it wasn't much of a problem.
The worst part of this design is that during rush hour, traffic merging onto the Whitemud Eastbound from 149 street (coming from downtown), and heading to the SW suburbs are forced to cross 3 lanes of traffic in the space of 2.5 kms to exit at Terwilligar. Enough traffic making this movement all but guarantees that the Whitemud slows to a crawl over the river.

Quote:
From the looks of the Terwilliger layout, it looks like the city is eventually planning to make the road a limited access highway right to Anthony Henday.
Yes, but that is long-term. The city recognized that whenever they overhaul the Terwilligar interchange, they will have to build an interchange at 40 Ave at the same time as well (due to proximity). It'll be expensive, that's for sure. It troubles me that they are allowing development so close to southern portions of Terwilligar (like around 23rd Ave), but you'd think people would figure it out that this will be a future freeway.

Anyways, I'd rather talk about Bishop Grandin plans, and I'm sure you guys would too...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:56 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

still interesting to see what other cities have done

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 10:04 PM

and we havnt...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
OUCH Jets, I did say your opinion was justifiable, just so you know. In fact I agree with arguments on both sides of the debate.
I was just using that as an example and I apoligize for challenging you, but slander my guitar playing really? Is that necessary? Do you even know me as a person or a guitar player. If no than you should not base comments off of a couple of shitty quality youtube vids. (which is where I assume you saw I played guitar?). Man that comment makes years of playing seem really pointless. Thanks man!

Hey man,

I apologize for my remarks. That was uncalled for and I guess I overreacted to a post that you had singled me out. That was childish of me. I guess sometimes I can take comments too seriously.

PS...You're actually a wicked guitar player, as I saw one of your youtube videos. I was just trying to get under your skin. You play clubs around Winnipeg?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan