HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:57 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
The body shop where the Cole Market project is scheduled to go has been vacated.

I take it to mean https://www.thecolemarket.com/ is likely right around the corner.
The site development plan hasn’t even been submitted. The parcel still needs to be rezoned and the developer is working on gathering excessive community support. Supposedly Candi “One Smart Cookie” CdeBaca isn’t cool with the developer eliminating the food desert because it’s a capitalist solution. Or she’s too busy grinding axes with Hancock and trying to setup KOA campgrounds for the homeless.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
The site development plan hasn’t even been submitted. The parcel still needs to be rezoned and the developer is working on gathering excessive community support. Supposedly Candi “One Smart Cookie” CdeBaca isn’t cool with the developer eliminating the food desert because it’s a capitalist solution. Or she’s too busy grinding axes with Hancock and trying to setup KOA campgrounds for the homeless.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/1...re-apartments/

the rezoning was approved last march.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 11:06 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Here you all go - just took this about an hour ago. They are working on jumping the rear tower crane!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:01 AM

Some LoDo projects

Thanks for the great pic Ryan! I will not be posting my Block 162 pic since yours is much better.....

Here is McGregor Square

IMG_20200118_103755717_HDR [IMG]

Hint of facade on the north side, looks very modern and attractive.

IMG_20200118_104104092_HDR

Greystar's The Fitzgerald. Ready for some setbacks.

IMG_20200118_104940074_HDR

Market Square. The building has good form and I think it will turn out well, but I think the brick is a bit monotonous. The texture is a bit like legos, but not much other ornamentation. The way the break up the facade along market (which I only got blurring pics of) looks too contrived, like they were trying too hard to break it up. I think this project will turn out well, but still a bit boring on upper levels IMO.

IMG_20200118_105416140

IMG_20200118_105218609_HDR

On a side note, most of the projects I saw, including some simpler lobby renovations of older buildings, completed close down the sidewalks. This happens all over LoHi too. I saw lots of confused pedestrian crossing the street mid-block, walking in traffic, etc. to get past construction sites. After closing the sidewalk on Broadway (!) Neon added a covered walkway, but I believe this was only after significant complaints from businesses and residents.

Most of the northern and European cities (and honolulu) I visit seem to more consistently require contractors to provide covered walkways. Such inconvenience would NEVER happen in NYC though that's its own breed. While most of us, myself included, lean towards"pro development", I think the city could protect pedestrians more without significant cost to builders.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy733 View Post

Most of the northern and European cities (and honolulu) I visit seem to more consistently require contractors to provide covered walkways. Such inconvenience would NEVER happen in NYC though that's its own breed. While most of us, myself included, lean towards"pro development", I think the city could protect pedestrians more without significant cost to builders.
Thanks for all the pics. And walkways have to be accessible in Denver for any new construction beginning last year. So any currently blocked sidewalks are due to buildings which began construction prior to the new rule going into effect. This won't be a problem as soon as those grandfathered-in projects wrap up.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 8:33 PM

Loving the glass on 162! This year is going to be super fun seeing 162 top out, Market Station open, and McGregor square continue to evolve. If the economy doesn't crap out, we will definitely see more groundbreakings.....

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 12:39 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

I hope you enjoy "before and after" photos because we just posted a bunch of them at DenverInfill!

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2020/0...and-after.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
I hope you enjoy "before and after" photos because we just posted a bunch of them at DenverInfill!

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2020/0...and-after.html
Wow... very impressive! To think you guys had wrote-ups on each and every one of these projects speaks volumes!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:17 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

^ Ken that post is AMAZING!!! Great work!!

Found a new vantage point.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Jan 20, 2020 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 1:49 AM
Mile High Guy

QUESTION: Does the city of Denver require that developers of new buildings include trees within the sidewalk/right of way?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:57 AM

Beautiful shot, Ryan!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:21 PM

That's great to hear Agent Orange! About half of the projects I've seen (Atlantis Communities, 16th & Market Hotel etc.), do have covered sidewalks so that is being implemented. Glad to know its not just discretion.

Great post Ken

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 2:58 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
QUESTION: Does the city of Denver require that developers of new buildings include trees within the sidewalk/right of way?

In short, yes. The city has streetscaping standards, and if a property is developed with frontage that is not up to those standards, the developer is required to upgrade the frontage to the standards. These standards may vary by location depending on if a particular locale has its own special standards or not. The standards also vary by street type I believe (local, collector, arterial, etc.). The City Forester also weighs in on every development and can dictate if existing trees should be saved or replaced, which species to plant, etc.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:26 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
^ Ken that post is AMAZING!!! Great work!!

Found a new vantage point.
This is only slightly off from my favorite view of Denver (slightly NW) on a clear day with Pikes Peak poking it's head up slightly west of 1801 California! Denver looks like a mini Manhattan from that perspective.

It's interesting the different angles and sight lines of dtown Denver. The image you posted is perpendicular to dtown's general building layout making thy skyline look thin. Another reason why all of the 20 story filler buildings are also important and appreciated, they fill in those gaps!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 3:28 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
Typically yes, but there are certain conditions that can lead to no trees (sight triangles primarily and they really affect smaller projects). The worst I've seen yet is the Trammel Crow building on Platte Street. They got away without planting a SINGLE in ground tree. They have two small tree planters, that's it. Highway robbery that they didn't have to provide any street trees or meaningful ROW landscape.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:27 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/1...re-apartments/

the rezoning was approved last march.
Well. I'm a dumbass. Thanks for the correction.

CdeBaca is still a dumbass as well.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 5:41 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Typically yes, but there are certain conditions that can lead to no trees (sight triangles primarily and they really affect smaller projects). The worst I've seen yet is the Trammel Crow building on Platte Street. They got away without planting a SINGLE in ground tree. They have two small tree planters, that's it. Highway robbery that they didn't have to provide any street trees or meaningful ROW landscape.
That one make zero sense. The projects along Welton street that have been done without trees (all of them) are reasonable since the L Line runs right there and you'd end up with trees growing into the overhead wires. But every single project along the south side of Platte Street that was built in the 2010's doesn't have trees in the ROW- 1700 Platte is just the most egregious example because of it's long street frontage. Yet Commons Park West and the upcoming Platte Fifteen do have ROW trees.

Would love to hear the logic on this.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:36 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
That one make zero sense. But every single project along the south side of Platte Street that was built in the 2010's doesn't have trees in the ROW- 1700 Platte is just the most egregious example because of it's long street frontage. Yet Commons Park West and the upcoming Platte Fifteen do have ROW trees.

Would love to hear the logic on this.
Not sure there is any logic for the Platte Street void...

However, I do know that a landscape architect for the ROW area design is a waste of money now. The City essentially designs that area for you, picks tree species, separation, diameter, etc. They tell you what to do in ROW and you have little ability to influence plant selections (or not).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy733 View Post
Thanks for the great pic Ryan! I will not be posting my Block 162 pic since yours is much better.....

Here is McGregor Square.
Thanks to all for all the photos and the 'sliders' at DenverInfill.

Quote:
Well. I'm a dumbass. Thanks for the correction.

CdeBaca is still a dumbass as well.
Yeah, I hate it when I'm the dummy. But now that we've sorted out all the asses we can carry on.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 11:26 PM

Wow-that a gorgeous shot Ryan-one of the best angles for a great pic that sums up the Denver skyline.

Some folks don't seem to know what Mc Gregor Square was named after? Most of us sports fans especially local ones remember Keli McGregor as a football star at Arvada West High School who also played baseball. Keli's dad was a teacher and assistant football coach at Arvada West (my cousin taught at A-West as well). McGregor was easy to spot because of his 6-8 250 pound frame, he played college at CSU and had many records there. He was drafted by the Broncos but only played a season before going to the Indy Colts. After the NFL Keli went to work for the Colorado Rockies and eventually made all the way up to president of the Rockies. He died April 20, 2010 in a Salt Lake City Hotel room of a rare virus that entered his heart muscle.
Just something on Keli McGregor

Last edited by CastleScott; Jan 21, 2020 at 12:07 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West