HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I like the aesthetic (brick and black), but the site plan is pretty bad. It's just a suburban style corporate campus. It doesn't really address the MARTA station or the beltline, and doesn't connect into the surrounding neighborhood. The closest thing to the MARTA station is a surface parking lot - really? (I realize the developer may not own that block, in which case, that's on MARTA). It's an inward focused superblock. I love that there is development in this area, and it's way better than a standard Fuqua strip mall design, but there are some pretty simple fixes that could make this a lot better.
Generally, I feel the same way. However, there's a part of me feeling they're trying to echo Historic Fourth Ward Park with a more active use at the ground level. This part I don't mind, as Atlanta in general is going through a weird phase of turning its back on historic commercial corridors and building out new commercial corridors along our expanding trail system (we need both). Like you've already stated though is they're missing some easy wins by not connecting to the surrounding neighrohood, having the buildings on the west side follow a grid like pattern, and MARTA should really get on board and put out an RFP for Bankhead TOD or put out a rendering for how that surface parking could/should better integrate with the project.

I want to note, I believe the BeltLine does not travel directly adjacent to Bankhead Station. Last I checked it was connecting to the east via the Kudzu Trail:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:47 PM

as a big fan of waterfronts in general i love how this incorporates the creek. would love to see the entire city develop around our waterways like this, would change the feel of the place entirely.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
as a big fan of waterfronts in general i love how this incorporates the creek. would love to see the entire city develop around our waterways like this, would change the feel of the place entirely.
part of the map i've been making has been identifying build corridors including around existing commercial districts, increased density along certain roads, trails, and water features. I agree it is smart to identify these areas and make them an asset to the city.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quarry Yards developer eyes November groundbreaking

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Quote:
The developer, Urban Creek Partners, on Monday filed plans through the state's Development of Regional Impact program for the 74-acre development that one day could blend thousands of residential units with office, retail and hotel space.
The first phase will include an affordable housing development by Prestwick Companies called Parkside Quarry Yards.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

The first phase will include an affordable housing development by Prestwick Companies called Parkside Quarry Yards.
Quote:
Even though the first phase has yet to secure construction financing, investors are showing "a lot of interest," Teixeira added. The hope is to kick off construction in November.
How common is this? November is just around the corner.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
How common is this? November is just around the corner.
I think there are two things going on here. Urban Creek Partners is the master developer of the Quarry Yards but will not personally develop every piece of it. So when he says the first phase has yet to secure financing, he is likely referring to the office component which his group will build.

The first housing in Quarry yards could still break ground in November which is being developed by Prestwick. They have just filed some demo permits as well as permits for the affordable housing developments mentioned above.

Parkside at Quarry Yards

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Parkside at Quarry Yards
That rendering is not up to expectation. Whole does a rendering in the rain?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
That rendering is not up to expectation. Whole does a rendering in the rain?
This is an impressive rendering in my opinion. Look at the level of detail in the electrical wires, and even the bus stop sign. I’m thinking this was done by the local architect instead of an international third party

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
This is an impressive rendering in my opinion. Look at the level of detail in the electrical wires, and even the bus stop sign. I’m thinking this was done by the local architect instead of an international third party
Impressive rendering, extremely un-impressive design

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmr298 View Post
Impressive rendering, extremely un-impressive design
I agree. It looks like a Fuqua's Best shopping mall community.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:53 AM

This apartment project is expected to break ground early next year.

Quote:
Quarry Yard’s first phase of multifamily is a 296 unit, five-story building wrapping a 6 level parking deck. The design is inspired by the industrial urban setting juxtaposed with unparalleled access to the natural amenities of the Proctor Creek Greenway and adjacent Quarry Park The open stairwells, rooftop amenity, and cantilevered pool deck with outdoor lounge offer residents multiple opportunities to “opt outside” and interact with the greenway. The generous storefront windows of the leasing, clubroom and fitness engage the plaza and visually connect residents with the bustling public realm.

http://www.dynamikdesign.com/#quarry-yardsGallery

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:13 PM

Pivotal site of Westside project Quarry Yards sells to mystery development group for $127M

Quote:
The development group behind the planned Quarry Yards including former Georgia Tech star and Braves player Mark Teixeira has sold the 70-acre site of the pivotal Westside Atlanta project for $127 million.

“We are totally out,” Teixeira told Atlanta Business Chronicle. “The buyer made us an offer we could not refuse.”

“It’s the buyer’s desire to stay private,” Teixeira said. “It’s an end user that will be great for the city.”
Very interesting. The new developer has to have deep pockets forking up that much just for the land.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Pivotal site of Westside project Quarry Yards sells to mystery development group for $127M
Very interesting. The new developer has to have deep pockets forking up that much just for the land.
Amazon HQ3?!?!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:

I just read this. Honestly I always thought they would partner with a more experienced developer at some point. It's just curious that the buyer wishes to remain private.

Let the speculation begin.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
I just read this. Honestly I always thought they would partner with a more experienced developer at some point. It's just curious that the buyer wishes to remain private.

Let the speculation begin.
I believe Quarry Yards was Amazon's top site in Atlanta. They got kicked out of NYC for wanting to create jobs, I'm sure Kemp would love to have them here. In 2020 anything is possible...

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I believe Quarry Yards was Amazon's top site in Atlanta. They got kicked out of NYC for wanting to create jobs, I'm sure Kemp would love to have them here. In 2020 anything is possible...
I thought Amazon had already moved on from that mistake. I heard they've been expanding like crazy in suburban Bellevue. Honestly with the way things are going in some of the countries major cities, it wouldn't surprise me if it is someone totally not on anyone's radar.

But I'm trying not to get too excited until more is known about what this is.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 12:35 PM

It's Fuqua. You all know it's Fuqua.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:58 PM

Fuqua is quite hot with the money.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
They were criticized locally for the tax breaks and decided it wasn't worth the trouble so consolidated jobs / expansion plans into Washington, DC, Nashville, and Bellevue (suburban Seattle, no tax breaks), however, still leased space in Hudson Yards for 1,500 employees and recently announced a 2,000 person expansion.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:15 PM

AJC article on the property sale

https://www.ajc.com/news/mark-teixei...OFEVRZDKAGNGE/

Quote:
One of the more talked-about large developments in Atlanta has been sold before any significant work on it was completed.

Urban Creek Partners — former Atlanta Braves baseball player Mark Teixeira is a principal — sold 70 acres slated to become the Quarry Yards mixed-use development on the Westside for $127 million to West Atlanta Acquisitions.

It was an offer Urban Creek Partners could not turn down, Teixeira said. He knows the buyers, but part of the deal is that Urban Creek Partners not reveal the names behind West Atlanta Acquisitions. The company will do that later.

Teixeira said the buyers know that including affordable housing is in the requirements. He said he expects the new owners will go above and beyond to resolve issues.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution contacted the city for a response but did not receive a reply by publication time.

Teixeira said the two sides came to an agreement in March, but getting due diligence done took until last week, when they signed off on the purchase.

“It’s not our announcement to make, but it’s going to be great for the city,” Teixeira said by phone.

He has not seen the new owners' plans for the property, located at the confluence of three of the city’s most heralded green spaces under development: the Beltline, the 250-acre Bellwood Quarry Park and the Proctor Creek Greenway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta