HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:04 PM

Hello people!!
San Antonio might be getting a W Hotel!!!
Celebrate!!!
Don't wish for more, more, more!!!

And to think San Antonio is the only city in America to have a world recognized ,and full of awards, HOTEL EMMA!!
And I think we are 'supporting' this hotel very well! Wonder what other city could "support" a Hotel Emma?????

W Hotel came a little too late, IMO

The hotel market in San Antonio is a dream for developers if they know how to make it work in the most visited city in Texas ,and one of the most visited cities in America, and around the world!!!!

Celebrate people!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!

GO COMMANDERS!!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
And to think San Antonio is the only city in America to have a world recognized ,and full of awards, HOTEL EMMA!!
What does this mean? What kind of world recognition, what kind of awards does Emma have that other hotels in America don't?

Not saying Emma isn't a spectacular hotel (it most certainly is, perhaps the most spectacular in Texas in my opinion), but I find it hard to believe that the Emma stands alone among "world recognized" hotels around the US.

Edit: After doing some research, the Emma has been rated 5-diamond by Triple A. Congrats, Hotel Emma! Still though, there are other hotels in the US with 5-diamond rating (including one in houston)

Also why are we talking about this in this thread? lol

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Can we ban her/him already?

This poster has never contributed anything useful to any discussion or thread. Everything posted by them has been implied city v. city boosterism..
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:58 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Can we ban her/him already?

This poster has never contributed anything useful to any discussion or thread. Everything posted by them has been implied city v. city boosterism..
If we banned posters by that criteria, there’d by maybe two posters slowed to post.

No one will be banned for that reason. You can choose to ignore an poster you disagree with or find annoying.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:15 PM

Really?? Ban? That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on here. Love the enthusiasm AwsomeSA. Keep posting. I enjoy reading them!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
If we banned posters by that criteria, there’d by maybe two posters slowed to post.

No one will be banned for that reason. You can choose to ignore an poster you disagree with or find annoying.
The entire time I’ve been a member it has been my understanding that city v. city discussions and boosterism, especially when done in an aggressive and argumentative way, is a banable offense. This user’s comment history is in that vein.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The entire time I’ve been a member it has been my understanding that city v. city discussions and boosterism, especially when done in an aggressive and argumentative way, is a banable offense. This user’s comment history is in that vein.
What he posted in this thread and what you’re objectivingbto is not city vs. city. It is hometown boosterism, but that is not bannable nor should it be. Civic pride is a great thing to have and display. Also, I try a nip city vs. city tangist arguments before they begin.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Really?? Ban? That is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on here. Love the enthusiasm AwsomeSA. Keep posting. I enjoy reading them!
Thank you UltraDanPrime!

And everything I post is FACT.
I sometimes feel some members on this forum want San Antonio to fail. They consistently belittle, criticize, and hate our beautiful, historical, unique city!
I wonder why? Oh well, the majority of the city, thinks and supports our city the way I do.
People, it is called civic pride!!

By the way is "poster" the correct word to use in this context???
Hmmmm

GO SPURS GO!!

GO COMMANDERS!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:17 AM

Ok, enough. Back to the topic at hand.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:54 AM

Because certain posters need multiple reminders. Please, get back to discussing the 1603 Broadway development. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 5:28 AM
Registered User?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
?
I was simply wondering, given the track record of high rise W hotels, why a separate tower wasn't proposed with the primary intent of housing the hotel. I'll be the first to admit that I'm simply a city development enthusiast with no professional experience, so I was hoping that the people on this forum with relevant knowledge could perhaps express why San Antonio is not getting a large W hotel such as the one in Austin. I was thinking that San Antonio might have a lower demand for very high luxury hotels.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
I was simply wondering, given the track record of high rise W hotels, why a separate tower wasn't proposed with the primary intent of housing the hotel. I'll be the first to admit that I'm simply a city development enthusiast with no professional experience, so I was hoping that the people on this forum with relevant knowledge could perhaps express why San Antonio is not getting a large W hotel such as the one in Austin. I was thinking that San Antonio might have a lower demand for very high luxury hotels.
IMO, it is because we have the Hotel Emma which is, I believe locally run and owned, and this hotel has already been given the highest ratings a hotel can get. And the hotel has not even been opened a long time. So, I am thinking other chains may be a little hesitant because of this. But, I applaud W Hotel for opening up a W on Broadway. They believe San Antonio can support the W with the Hotel Emma nearby!
Austin has a larger W, but do they have a Hotel Emma? Food for thought, only because you brought up Austin on your post on a San Antonio thread. And by all means, not trying to be "weird". LOL

A Great Day To All!!!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 5:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Austin has a larger W, but do they have a Hotel Emma?
No, but then again San Antonio doesn't have a Driskill Hotel. But then again, San Antonio has the Menger. (ad nauseam)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 3:14 AM

I don’t really understand the wishing it were a separate tower thing.

Many W hotels are combined with other uses like condos or office space. The one in Austin has office space at the bottom.

1. Having other uses makes it a taller building. Isn’t that what everyone here wants?

2. Large full service hotels often aren’t that profitable on their own. Adding another use allows owners to capture some of the W cachet and sell it to office users or condo buyers.

3. Office users use parking spaces during the day, hotel guests use parking spaces at night.

4. No one going to the W wants a room on the third floor. Having office space at the bottom moves the lowest guest room to a higher floor.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 11:53 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
I don’t really understand the wishing it were a separate tower thing.

Many W hotels are combined with other uses like condos or office space. The one in Austin has office space at the bottom.
Actually, the one in Austin has office space only in the podium area of the project. There's also a music theatre in that part of the development. The tower itself is 10 floors of hotel space from levels 6 through 16. The rest of the tower is condos from level 18 to 37. It also has retail along the north side of its block.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, the one in Austin has office space only in the podium area of the project. There's also a music theatre in that part of the development. The tower itself is 10 floors of hotel space from levels 6 through 16. The rest of the tower is condos from level 18 to 37. It also has retail along the north side of its block.
I didn’t know the exact breakdown in Austin, but reinforces my point.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:19 AM

any updates on when this is supposed to break ground?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:57 PM

I noticed that The Arts Thompson is 314 feet and 20 stories, but this project is 255 feet at 20 stories, crossing my fingers the project height could change.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:09 PM

GrayStreet’s Broadway tower and downtown renovations

Local firm GrayStreet Partners plans to build a 20-story hotel and office tower on Broadway near the Pearl. Nearly a year ago, the HDRC gave GrayStreet approval to start site work on the project, which will also include ground-floor retail.

Luxury chain W Hotels wants to open a 195-room location in the building. The hotel is in the planning stages, parent company Marriott International told data firm STR, which tracks the hospitality industry.

Farther down Broadway Street, GrayStreet is in the process of rehabilitating the former San Antonio Light building into offices. The firm is also renovating the Kress and Grant buildings on Houston downtown for co-working giant WeWork and a food hall.

Ownership of the Kress building was recently restructured, but GrayStreet remains the developer, city spokesman Carlos Valenzuela said. City Council members OK’d about $1.3 million this summer to help GrayStreet make cosmetic changes to the buildings.

The firm’s development director, Peter French, didn’t respond to multiple inquiries

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 3:04 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/re...era/ar-BBZjVnC

From the article: "And the evolution will continue with the Light Building on lower Broadway, Jefferson Bank’s 12-story headquarters near the Pearl, the mixed-use 1603 Broadway just getting underway down the street and CPS Energy’s new headquarters..."

Has anyone been by there and seen them beginning to prep for this project? I went by before the holidays and it still looked like the plot was being used as parking for the crew working on the Credit Human HQ.

I hadn't heard anything on this project in a while. I'm willing to admit I may be grasping at straws here, but I'm hopeful this is a sign the project will break ground soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio