HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limestone View Post
Its good to SAT continue to post positive numbers. Hopefully, 2009 will have a few air service highlights...maybe new Mexico flights on a LCC, perhaps JetBlue.
Just a quick question...has anyone with jetBlue said anything about flying into SAT or is it just wishful thinking? The last thing I officially heard (from the CEO) jetBlue was going to make the airport 60 miles north a mid continent hub for regional jets.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 5:19 PM
Hmmm....

JetBlue officials made comments to either the Express-News or the Business Journal (it was almost a year ago), they basically said they were looking into adding flights to SAT, but were also looking into how adding the flights to SAT would affect ABIA since a large number of those customers [JetBlue] flying out of Austin are from the San Antonio area. That's the only thing I've ever heard about JetBlue in San Antonio media.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 5:20 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

There has been several newspaper articles in the E-N stating that the city was courting Jetblue heavily, and that jetblue has "taken notice" that alot of passengers flying out of abia are originating from San Antonio and that SA is on its map now of places to expand to. If I had the time I would find the articles....anyone up to the task?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 5:52 PM

Every time I've flown JetBlue (3 times in the last few months alone, twice to JFK once to FLL), the passenger area has been heavy with the hipsters and other sterotypically obvious Austin types, so I doubt very much that a lot of people are driving from San Antonio.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 8:49 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if a large number of people from Comal and northern Guadalupe counties regularly use ABIA regardless of the airline, especially considering the ongoing construction on 410 and at SAT itself; its still a small and convenient place once you get inside, but driving in and out isn't exactly a breeze these days.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Feb 10, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Every time I've flown JetBlue (3 times in the last few months alone, twice to JFK once to FLL), the passenger area has been heavy with the hipsters and other sterotypically obvious Austin types, so I doubt very much that a lot of people are driving from San Antonio.
Now there is some thorough analysis and is exactly how Jetblue determines which routes they fly.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 12:31 AM

I'm sure JetBlue has very accurate stats from the billing addresses of everyone who buys a ticket... now, they'll never let us know exactly what those are, but if they say people are coming from San Antonio, they would certainly be in a position to know.

If they ever did fly out to some different destinations from San Antonio (or move from AUS to SAT), I'd drive down there to fly them. Their product is that good. I love the E190 (no middle seats) and the personal IFE...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 1:38 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
I'm sure JetBlue has very accurate stats from the billing addresses of everyone who buys a ticket... now, they'll never let us know exactly what those are, but if they say people are coming from San Antonio, they would certainly be in a position to know.

If they ever did fly out to some different destinations from San Antonio (or move from AUS to SAT), I'd drive down there to fly them. Their product is that good. I love the E190 (no middle seats) and the personal IFE...
Jet Blue is not likely to leave ABIA anytime soon.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 2:03 AM

Plus Jet Blue wants to make Austin a connecting hub for people flying from Florida to California that's why they've been adding more flights into Austin from Florida and California Jet Blue isn't in Dallas Fort Worth either just Austin and Houston but you would think they would fly into SA if they have customers driving up to Austin to fly them.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoby13 View Post
Now there is some thorough analysis and is exactly how Jetblue determines which routes they fly.
It's every bit as much analytical as wishful thinking that a whole bunch of people from SA are driving to ABIA just to take JetBlue (seems ridiculous on its face given that JB isn't all that cheap in many cases).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
It's every bit as much analytical as wishful thinking that a whole bunch of people from SA are driving to ABIA just to take JetBlue (seems ridiculous on its face given that JB isn't all that cheap in many cases).
I have never used JetBlue out of Austin, but when ever I book a flight I always check Austin because certain flights are cheaper out of Austin than San Antonio. Overall, I believe the pricing is similar though.

I would say that I fly out of Austin 4 out of 5 times that I fly. I don't think that it is wishful thinking that people from San Antonio drive to Austin to fly JetBlue.

I don't know a lot about the JetBlue flights out of Austin, but comperable destinations out of SAT might be more expensive. Bottom line, JetBlue is looking to get into San Antonio. If they believe that they have customers traveling from San Antonio to fly JetBlue, then why not move into SAT.

Seems like there are some touchy Austin forumers on here. Relax, its allright if another airport lands a new carrier. Remember, eventhough they are fairly close SAT and ABIA cover two different markets (with an overlap in the middle).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 10:21 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I have never used JetBlue out of Austin, but when ever I book a flight I always check Austin because certain flights are cheaper out of Austin than San Antonio. Overall, I believe the pricing is similar though.

I would say that I fly out of Austin 4 out of 5 times that I fly. I don't think that it is wishful thinking that people from San Antonio drive to Austin to fly JetBlue.

I don't know a lot about the JetBlue flights out of Austin, but comperable destinations out of SAT might be more expensive. Bottom line, JetBlue is looking to get into San Antonio. If they believe that they have customers traveling from San Antonio to fly JetBlue, then why not move into SAT.

Seems like there are some touchy Austin forumers on here. Relax, its allright if another airport lands a new carrier. Remember, eventhough they are fairly close SAT and ABIA cover two different markets (with an overlap in the middle).
Perfectly said....and SAIA (In my opinion) is more positioned than ABIA to grow rapidly thanks to the result of added gates and stronger job growth in the SA metro area due to the BRAC, growth in the healthcare industry and an expanding young population from area universities. The proof is in the pudding. When the job numbers came out, SA almost doubled Austin's job growth from year end 2007 to year end 2008. I think ABIA's numbers are a tad padded (again IMO) because of SA passengers traveling north to fly on carriers such as Jetblue and Viva.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 11:55 PM

I remember the recent article/news story on JetBlue's possible expansion into the San Antonio market; but really, who cares? I will be happy if it happens, happier still if it were Virgin.
Also, the idea the SAT market doesn't also support ABIA is ridiculous. Many folks actually live equal distance or closer to ABIA, while 100% of ABIA's market lives closer to ABIA than SAT.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 1:32 AM

I think SA can get whatever airlines it wants if Jet Blue wants to fly into SA then that's great I always kinda wondered why then didn't with AT&T being there and all I mean both airports have a ton of Southwest flights I wish we had another direct SW flight to Harlingen. And I think both airports can be easily expanded.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:51 PM

I've flown out of SAT to save some money once.

And plenty of Austin's metro area / commuter suburban area is on the other side of ABIA. Not sure what you're trying to get at there - San Marcos is more Austin's 'market' than SAT's.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1EK View Post
I've flown out of SAT to save some money once.

And plenty of Austin's metro area / commuter suburban area is on the other side of ABIA. Not sure what you're trying to get at there - San Marcos is more Austin's 'market' than SAT's.
I think my post is quite plain. San Marcos- in fact, all of Hays County - is closer to ABIA, while Northern Comal and parts of Guadalupe are closer to ABIA than SAT. The logical departure location for all three locations would be ABIA, even though two are in the SAMA.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 5:24 PM

So what's the point of mentioning JetBlue at SAT, then? If so much of their potential "San Antonio market" is already closer to ABIA, why would they want to start service at SAT?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 8:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Perfectly said....and SAIA (In my opinion) is more positioned than ABIA to grow rapidly thanks to the result of added gates and stronger job growth in the SA metro area due to the BRAC, growth in the healthcare industry and an expanding young population from area universities. The proof is in the pudding. When the job numbers came out, SA almost doubled Austin's job growth from year end 2007 to year end 2008. I think ABIA's numbers are a tad padded (again IMO) because of SA passengers traveling north to fly on carriers such as Jetblue and Viva.
No way. One year doesn't make a trend. Austin has outperformed SA in population and job growth for decades. Who knows what the future holds, though.

ABIA already has two runways with room for a third. Existing terminal can be easily expanded to over 50 gates. Also, has room for another terminal of comparable size. Not saying there would ever be need for 100+ gates, but it could be done.

Austin is about 300,000 less in it's metro, and already has a busier airport. Pretty sure it also has more airlines, to more destinations.

Regardless though, I see no reason why JetBlue couldn't fly out of both. If they think it's a good business decision, they'll start service out of SA.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I think my post is quite plain. San Marcos- in fact, all of Hays County - is closer to ABIA, while Northern Comal and parts of Guadalupe are closer to ABIA than SAT. The logical departure location for all three locations would be ABIA, even though two are in the SAMA.

People that live in areas like New Braunfels and Bulverde are going to fly out of SA it's closer New Braunfels is only like 20 or 30 miles from SA and Austin is 50 miles

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Austin is about 300,000 less in it's metro, and already has a busier airport. Pretty sure it also has more airlines, to more destinations.
And as has been explained, ABIA effectively draws from the same area as SAT when you take into account Killeen-Temple-Ft Hood and those from Comal and Guad counties. Add to that the greater amount of discretionary spending in the Austin area for things like travel, plus the fact that SA is easier to get to via car, and I think you've got your explanation.

Now can we please stop talking about Austin in the SAT forum? I don't see any SA forumers going to the ABIA thread and talking about SA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio