HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 12:13 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - Downtown Performing Arts [District] Center One Step Closer

The city council was asked to consider three site recommendations yesterday for a downtown Performing Arts Center and of the three sites the one chosen was the Municipal Auditorium in River North. Nothing of course will happen unless the venue tax is voted for next spring.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:05 PM

Btw, I'm not sure what that means but I'm fairly sure that means the Municipal Auditorium will be torn down. I could be wronf though.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:15 PM

Tearing down that building would be terrible. Those talavera domes outside are beautiful. It's a shame that municipal auditorium is kinda hidden in a little nook away from the rest of the theaters downtown.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:21 PM

I'm not totally sure of the plans, whether it's tear it down or add on to it, but there's going to be a 100-150 million dollar investment so somethings going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:39 PM

Municipal Autditorium

I believe the plan would actually reduce the number of seats from around 4500 to 2800. The SA Symphony is looking for a new home and the Majestic is looking to free up dates for more Broadway type shows.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:27 PM
Meh

I would seriously be depressed if the Municipal Auditorium was demolished. It's one of my favorite buildings in San Antonio. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Here's a picture I took from the Tower of the Americas in July. I'd hate to see this beauty go...

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:02 PM

The Theater District of River North and just how the Municipal Auditorium plays a role in it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 1:18 AM

I highly doubt the Municipal would be torn down.Did you forget what city your in? you can't forget about the pesty grannies that reside on the historic review board.I doubt over their dead bodies your going to see this structure razed.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I highly doubt the Municipal would be torn down.Did you forget what city your in? you can't forget about the pesty grannies that reside on the historic review board.I doubt over their dead bodies your going to see this structure razed.
Well if the "pesty grannies" would prevent this auditorium from being razed, then more power to them.

There is plenty of ugly in downtown SA to tear down, why would someone even consider removing an appealing structure? Obviouslly they're not judging by the conceptual design. Which is, afterall, conceptual. They still need voters to approve having the visitors pay to fund the city's desired theatre district.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 8:32 PM

The municipal auditorium is a beautiful building, they won't tear it down.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:19 PM

they should build a new arts theater near west part of d/t

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:58 AM

http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news...rticle=2886683

Council Supports Venue Tax for Performing Arts Center

Municipal Auditorium seen as favored site
By Jim Forsyth
Monday, November 5, 2007

San Antonio City Council today went on record urging that the venue tax used to build the AT&T Center be used to turn the 1925-vintage Municipal Auditorium into a Performing Arts Center, 1200 WOAI's Bud Little reports.

"It's an underutilized building and it's a beautiful building," Hardberger said about the Municipal Auditorium, which once hosted the city's most prestigious events but has since been bypassed in favor of more modern facilities like the Alamodome, the AT&T Center, and the Lila Cockrell Theater.

The Performing Arts Center, which would cost about $75 million, would be the home to the San Antonio Symphony, Opera San Antonio, and other arts groups. It would also host touring Broadway shows, concerts, and events as diverse as high school performances and college graduations. San Antonio is the largest city in the country without a performing arts center.

There was no dispute on the council about the need for a performing arts center, but some council members argued in favor of building it at other locations. Councilwoman Lourdes Galvan said she favored a new facility built at the site of the old Lone Star Brewery.

"I think that location is prime because it sits right on the river reach to the San Antonio Missions,"Galvan said.

Another potential site was Hemisfair Plaza.

The recommendation now goes to Bexar County Commissioners, who will make the final decision on what proposals to place on a venue tax ballot, probably in May.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 5:34 PM

There are several really good site possibilities, I think I'd want to go with a site that allows for new construction instead of retro-fitting a building as with the Municipal.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:11 PM
Meh

I just want to see the Municipal Auditorium kept. I'm not sure what else they could use it for, but I'd really hate to see it torn down.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 9:32 PM

museum or something similar

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio