HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Still find it hard to believe that this site would attract interest before so many other parking lots dotted a few blocks closer to the epicentre and the GO Train . But hey, super excited to see it happen. Love the density, hope they cut through silly hall red tape and make it happen
Marketing will have to be careful to associate it with James North, not the areas to the south and east.

In that respect it's actually very close to James North and should be successful for that reason.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Wonder why emblem ditched JCI for IBI... JCI is a considerably more talented firm, though IBI has been known to occasionally produce good buildings (AXIS on church is really nice, so is their proposed Dufferin / 401 development)

Would have preferred to see some more height at the corner with each tower stepping down to the north (instead of 30x3 think 40 30 20) with some kind of east west mid block connection (the gigantic above ground parking podium is to blame here)

Hamilton, though great for food, could really use more actual retail in the core so people don't have to head to the fringes/suburbs to get essentials. There's nowhere downtown to buy housewares, clothing (that isn't a weird vintage boutique) and other basic necessities. I actually think a proper shoppers with big city hours (8am to midnight) would be excellent for downtown.
Oh I'm not necessarily against a shoppers being here, I live downtown, and I agree, we kind of need a car because all of our shopping is done outside the core. My point mainly being that these units are neither large enough for a major retailer, nor small enough to attract local business. They are designed to attract I suppose franchise restos. KiWi does well by having a coffee shop specific unit. Shows vision.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:25 PM

Yeah that's a big reason why I decided to move out of Hamilton. I don't see the point of living car free if you have to do a long haul bus trip / uber to buy a nice pair of jeans or a new set of sheets. You can absolutely survive without a car in Hamilton, but you definitely can't thrive. As time went on it felt like the core was just a boutique food court for people to drive in, park, and eat, heading back home to Burlington or wherever.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 5:44 PM

[QUOTE=Innsertnamehere;9332174]

[QUOTE]

That's a big overhang - I want to see the framing for that!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:50 PM

Really like the inclusion of the wood roof entrance feature, imagine, another texture and material. What's this city coming to, haha

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Yeah that's a big reason why I decided to move out of Hamilton. I don't see the point of living car free if you have to do a long haul bus trip / uber to buy a nice pair of jeans or a new set of sheets. You can absolutely survive without a car in Hamilton, but you definitely can't thrive. As time went on it felt like the core was just a boutique food court for people to drive in, park, and eat, heading back home to Burlington or wherever.
There just isn't a large enough population of middle incomes downtown yet to support retail in a major way. It'll come, and with the amount of proposals rolling in, it may come soon, and we will start to see more large retailers clamoring to enter the lower city market.

It was only 15 years ago that most major retailers stayed away from downtown Toronto like the plague, outside of the Eatons Centre. Now it's getting a friggen Ikea downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 12:45 AM

Article by Joey Coleman, Editor of The Public Record - Posted on July 16, 2021
Hamilton’s DRP Praises Plan for Three Tall Buildings Downtown at John and Wilson

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2021/...hn-and-wilson/
Thanks Joey!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 3:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Seems they got off pretty lightly...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 1:18 PM
Burger Connoisseur

So no one at the DRP suggested they should vary the heights a little bit to break up this solid mass? Something like 25+30+35 storey buildings... no one!?!?

Don't get me wrong I'm all for this development I just wish it wasn't 3 - 30 floor buildings so tight together.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
So no one at the DRP suggested they should vary the heights a little bit to break up this solid mass? Something like 25+30+35 storey buildings... no one!?!?

Don't get me wrong I'm all for this development I just wish it wasn't 3 - 30 floor buildings so tight together.
I kinda agree with you. Although I am probably nitpicking, I feel 25+30+35 would give this site a better look but this is by far the nicest rendering I’ve seen so far. Blows anything Vranic proposes out of the water. No lego looking precast brick work.

They should’ve been allowed to go taller here.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 2:56 PM

As usual I don't agree we need to go above 30. But watching DRP I realized many of us could probably give better feedback than these professionals. Not one mentioned the lack of commercial fronting the "pedestrian" zone on King St for the Vrancor proposal. One didn't know the DRP had already seen the McMaster Graduate residence. One member complained the really cool entry here didn't match the rest of the development and should be squared off.

This feedback is also not consistent with other proposals, and things they like about this one, they hate about others. They also seem to literally forget other developers buildings, not recognizing the rendering they're looking at is a copy of the Platinum with its ugly precast commie block look from all sides but the corner. They really have no clue, or they just don't care.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 3:53 PM
Ham-burgher

The DRP gives me a very "ivory tower" feel every time I watch their commentary.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2021, 7:30 PM

Is the DRP basically a mandatory stop in the process , in which the applicant is not obligated to incorporate any feedback ... to me seems like a waste of time. Would be more useful if DRP provided a score to municipality that could be used for density bonusing (based on great design and community benefits). When a developer comes in and maxes out to the limit of the allowed plan , don't think the DRP is really that useful .

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 5:26 PM

Thought i'd get a picture of this lot before it gets dug up in the coming months...

Taken August 29, 2021.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 6:34 PM
Ham-burgher

Great drone pics! Thanks for doing all those.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Great drone pics! Thanks for doing all those.
No problem! If you have any requests just let me know.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 8:44 PM

So this lot has been there for a long time. When I started working downtown, this is where I would park.

It was the fall of 1976!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
What kind of drone do you use for taking those pictures?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 2:35 PM
Hamilton Historian

I know I personally am waiting for something amazing to go on the parking lot directly south of this - the only parking lot that takes up an entire city block

Old Posted Aug 30, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Seconded on the awesome pics! Drones are one of the best updates possible for construction projects IMO.

I'd love to request some drone pics of the 4-5 condos in Stoney Creek going up if possible, but up to you!

I too look forward to the lot to the south dying a painful death, but every lot gone is a good lot gone in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton