HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I'd love to see the Underground come back as a punk venue some day with something better upstairs where Dirty Dogs/77 are now. Since TAH closed 2 years ago there hasn't been one and while The Doors is a great place, its not really a punk bar like TAH was.
Getting very off-topic now, but the other day I noticed what looked like something new going in under Industria on John. Back in the day it was a dance bar, not quite sure what it will be now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Getting very off-topic now, but the other day I noticed what looked like something new going in under Industria on John. Back in the day it was a dance bar, not quite sure what it will be now.
To get even more off topic- remember the huge monstrosity the underground used to be before they destroyed like 90% of the building? The underground part is just a tiny portion of a massive building that used to take up that entire block that was 4-5 stories high.

The underground is the part at the back. behind this building back, left.. it took up the whole space where our stupid little recreational park is now..

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Everything has struggled there. It was Zen Lounge last. Doesn't help that Industria sucks. Hopefully they'll leave one day and something better will fill the space.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The dance bar in the basement during the early 90s was called Aztecs for a while. It was actually pretty great.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:19 PM

Is there a club going on the ground floor here?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:19 PM

So I looked up Zen Lounge and it seems it's still open, maybe they are moving things in and out for whatever reason.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:02 AM

Walked by here tonight. There is a shoring rig on site and additional fencing around the spice factory.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 9:35 AM

That makes more sense. That March 2023 construction start date didn't sound right.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 1:51 PM

they have had permits issued for a few months already for shoring as well, so march really didn't make sense. Why file for permits 6+ months in advance of construction start?

By "around the spice factory" I assume you mean that they have just erected hoarding along Hughson across the street from the Spice Factory?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
they have had permits issued for a few months already for shoring as well, so march really didn't make sense. Why file for permits 6+ months in advance of construction start?

By "around the spice factory" I assume you mean that they have just erected hoarding along Hughson across the street from the Spice Factory?
Correct.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck905 View Post
Walked by here tonight. There is a shoring rig on site and additional fencing around the spice factory.
I drove by here today and didn't see any shoring rig although they've definitely been doing some work.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 2:41 AM

This one should be breaking ground any day now if the rumours were true.... permits seem to be really kicking off.

A reminder of what this is going to look like in just a few short years.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:01 PM
It's a nickname from work

Interesting to note the permits say there will be no underground levels. Should make the work quicker I think.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:57 PM

the architectural plans for this one don't even show a basement level of any kind here - literally just an elevator pit and that's it. Should be quick construction once it gets going.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Still think this is a boring-ass design - the only thing of interest that draws your eye in that pic is the church. Coulda done some cool podium designs to tie in with the church architecture.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 9, 2023 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:44 PM

Excited to hear that construction of this project is potentially imminent. @Chronamut, agreed that it's not a terribly exciting design. It's the 'body heat' it will add to the area that is its biggest plus in my books, plus momentum to foster further redevelopment in the area. And the design is far from bad; it's just pretty normal at this point in time. It has the potential to turn out quite well or sub-par depending on the materials and avoidance of last-minute value engineering.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:01 PM

It's not terribly exciting, but it looks to be very well designed otherwise. from what I have seen the materials are well detailed, the site plan generally works quite well, and there appears to be high-quality landscaping elements around it and good sized, decent quality retail spaces at grade.

It won't get your heart beating by looking at it, but once it's complete it should be a solid addition to downtown. Honestly it'll probably be the best looking apartment building to ever go up in Downtown Hamilton (not counting McMaster Graduate Res, as it's not an apartment building per se).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It's not terribly exciting, but it looks to be very well designed otherwise. from what I have seen the materials are well detailed, the site plan generally works quite well, and there appears to be high-quality landscaping elements around it and good sized, decent quality retail spaces at grade.

It won't get your heart beating by looking at it, but once it's complete it should be a solid addition to downtown. Honestly it'll probably be the best looking apartment building to ever go up in Downtown Hamilton (not counting McMaster Graduate Res, as it's not an apartment building per se).
Lol hamilton's grade for excellence - "well it's better than the shit we already have at least"

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:13 PM

I think it's fine and good looking. It doesn't need to be exciting.

More of these developments will eventually lead to more interesting/exciting designs as developers will try to set themselves apart.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:14 PM

Not every build has to be a masterclass, beautiful, unique piece of architecture.

Overall the city can improve, but nit-picking and complaining about every single proposal gets a little stale. It's a solid proposal from a developer that does pretty high quality work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton