HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:01 PM

Im kiind of conflicted on it

I don't think its nessassary though.. theres already enough hotels houses businesses surrounding it that it would never turn into a deserted wasteland anytime soon.. but then again high rises would add even more density more tax revenue that could be used to maybe add another lane to each road on st james ana empress

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I think residential at polo is dumb. It’s already one of the worst areas in the city for traffic adding residents will just make it worse.
It's almost like taking a light industrial area and turning it into the entire city's retail hub without touching the road network wasn't the greatest idea, in hindsight.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I think residential at polo is dumb. It’s already one of the worst areas in the city for traffic adding residents will just make it worse.
portage train/streetcar

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:54 PM
Formerly rypinion

A lot of the people who would live in the Polo area are people that work in the Polo area.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:27 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 12:29 PM
Back from the dead

That shot up there is great and it kind of highlights one of the somewhat ignored buildings in the core. Newport Center. That being said, I could have sworn that it was only recently retrofitted with new glass, wasn't it?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 1:53 PM

I could be mistaken, but it felt like the NewPort changed hands every six or seven years and the new owner mentioned big plans to improve it, but this is the first time that we're actually seeing it happen. It's a nice-looking building... in my books, it looks more impressive than the average Winnipeg 17 storey building. The prominent location probably helps.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:45 AM

Best Western Premier Winnipeg East (i.e. Transcona) now taking reservations for December 1 onwards:

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.63018.html

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
That shot up there is great and it kind of highlights one of the somewhat ignored buildings in the core. Newport Center. That being said, I could have sworn that it was only recently retrofitted with new glass, wasn't it?
The east side did over ten years ago.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:04 PM

Quote:
sure, that is assuming everyone drives. Yet if some of the current 'congesters' lived in the area and were able to do their shopping without driving in, wouldn't that actually decrease congestion?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
It's also either the #1 or #2 transit hub outside downtown (other being U of M) and has by far the best transit service of any major route or destination in Winnipeg. Express routes in rush hour are quite fast and efficient. It's probably the most attractive area of the city for people who (would) consider transit as a means to commute downtown or otherwise. Further residential development here would only serve to fast-track more transit improvement and a western RT route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's almost like taking a light industrial area and turning it into the entire city's retail hub without touching the road network wasn't the greatest idea, in hindsight.
The city obviously doesn't think outside of route 90 traffic is that bad around there, they're currently shrinking Empress. Generally they use data to make these decisions. And, just like downtown – or anywhere else – more traffic just incentivizes other modes of transport.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:04 PM

^ Transit service around there is good but let's face it, the whole area is still pretty well set up for cars.

A good analogue for it is the Richmond Centre area of Richmond, BC. It wasn't until the Canada Line opened up there a decade ago that it really started to hit overdrive in terms of evolving into an area with truly urban character.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Transit service around there is good but let's face it, the whole area is still pretty well set up for cars.

A good analogue for it is the Richmond Centre area of Richmond, BC. It wasn't until the Canada Line opened up there a decade ago that it really started to hit overdrive in terms of evolving into an area with truly urban character.
Would be great to have mixed use buildings lining St. James Street with ground floor retail on both sides, the street is really well set up for that now. Keeps the mall and big box stores behind it with lots of parking (potential to build parkades if needed) and hidden from the street. Tons of potential for the immediate vicinity of the mall to become quite a walkable, desirable urban neighbourhood with fantastic transit access.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:22 PM

Is traffic really that bad at Polo? I don't think so and am in there are on a weekly basis. As was mentioned, Empress is being downgraded because it is/was always empty.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is traffic really that bad at Polo? I don't think so and am in there are on a weekly basis. As was mentioned, Empress is being downgraded because it is/was always empty.
I find traffic to be pretty bad around Polo Park during prime shopping times on weekends. Especially in the lead up to Christmas.

I generally steer clear of the area, though... sometimes years go by between my visits to Polo Park shopping centre.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Everyone always thinks traffic is bad in this city....until you travel to larger cities and see what bad traffic really is.

I think that multi-unit residential is a great idea (and have always thought so) for Polo Park shopping centre....I would like to see the same thing at St Vital Centre.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:45 PM

Traffic is bad around Polo evenings and weekends for 6 weeks a year. Not worth expanding the road network for when there's lots of potential for quality neighbourhood infill development. Just spend the money on making route 90 flow better.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:09 PM

But what is bad though? Like Biff mentioned. Taking 10 minutes to get out of the parkade and onto Portage is pretty decent.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:13 PM

^ Polo Park itself is pretty easily accessible, it's more if you want to go to the box stores north and west of the mall itself. The streets would often get backed up in a big way, especially near St. James & Ellice, as well as Ellice & Empress. Left turns were murder around there. And it's not really the most pleasant area to walk around in.

Granted, I guess it has probably improved since they added a ton of left turn lanes and pushed St. Matthews through to Route 90.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 8:24 PM

If there were a bunch of streetfront retail on St. James, it would probably be a pleasure to walk around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan