HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
The pumphouse apartment is starting to look way nicer and way more appropriate for Waterfront Drive than the Sky condo beside it. (And I live in Sky)
sky would fit in nicely on wilkes or sterling lyon pkwy these days it is true!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
sky would fit in nicely on wilkes or sterling lyon pkwy these days it is true!
To bad the city hadn't enacted some guidelines to what could be built and what it should look like, what you ended up with is a dog's breakfast, but I suppose with the usual lack of forward thinking out of city hall building anything was better than nothing!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

part of problem with sky is theres a 60kv high voltage line runing under part of its parcle of land

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 3:06 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
part of problem with sky is theres a 60kv high voltage line runing under part of its parcle of land
Ya, the parking lot sucks but it's there only because of the hydro. They could have still built the waterfront side up to the sidewalk though. At least there's lots of trees.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:34 PM

This one has grown on me. With the windows in, you get a sense of what the final product will be. Overall, I like the way the building fits into the streetscape. Photos taken yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:44 PM

I was over at Whittier park on the weekend and this one makes an impact on the skyline, if you will, across the river. Fills a gap, and looks decent so far.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:53 PM

Those pics show a much more flattering angle than what we've been seeing up to now. It's almost like a miniaturized version of the big residence at the U of M Fort Garry campus... or at least that's the vibe I'm getting from it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:28 PM

^Yeah, I could see that. From the path through Juba Park, I think it looks pretty good. Mostly glass from this side.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Those pics show a much more flattering angle than what we've been seeing up to now. It's almost like a miniaturized version of the big residence at the U of M Fort Garry campus... or at least that's the vibe I'm getting from it.
Well that's one way to put a positive spin on it! To even do what they were trying to achieve and keeping the facade visible the supports should have been higher.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The problem is that is probably the view for about 10% of the people that pass it, at best haha. On Waterfront you mostly just get the sides, black shed panelling.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 12:13 PM

Once the screening goes in for the ramps on the exterior you wont be able to see the pumphouse at all from this view. The glass is nice, but the building doesn’t suit the area, this is something that would look good hovering above a row of one and two storey buildings on a major thoroughfare, like Osborne or Sherbrook, not waterfront drive. Like the art school in Toronto or the residences at the UofM, the stilts should have been in place to preserve something, these stilts do nothing. This building is the waterfront drive equivalent of that piece of shit house on montrose. I really wish 546890274)4839292&3zx)4)4839292746482927466482923646 would disappear for a little bit.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:13 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^Just so you know....There are no brackets in that Architecture firms name.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:23 PM

Although this was probably not possible, but building the front facade flush with the new structure might have been a bit more visually flattering, much like how ALT did it. Rite now it lives pushed back under the shadows of the new building.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 11:20 PM

Anyone know what's going on in the new lower level? Mechanical? Looks like windows, and maybe doors, going in.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 11:34 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

part of its a lobby rest will be wide open

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
part of its a lobby rest will be wide open
Rest of what, the View of the facade of the pump house is all but obliterated!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:18 PM

I don't really understand why everyone's freaking out over the ends of the pumphouse being partially blocked from view. It's nothing that special or overly nice compared to the entire half block length that's still fully exposed along James.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:59 PM

My layman's take is simply that the James Ave. Pumphouse was getting closer and closer to being Zaifman special of demo by neglect as it seemed numerous individuals/groups had kicked the tires on the property and walked away with no action. I feel like this was always a very difficult property to move on and do something with, even with a prime location. While the project may not replace the Esplanade Riel, CMHR or MB legislature as enduring images of Winnipeg, it brings a lot of positive elements to what was increasingly becoming a lifeless and derelict postage stamp in the heart of the East Exchange. Principally among them, people and activity.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:09 AM

Yeah, agreed. It does look fantastic from Tache. Will see if that is still true when the walkways are put in.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 3:48 PM

How many units are in that building? looks like 7 per floor on the one side. Since there doesn't appear to be a central hallway, do the units stretch all the way across the building? So 35 units?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan