HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:57 PM

Fantastic game start to finish! I didn't care how they played as long as they won, but it was really satisfying to see them win handily by doing so much of what was great about watching the team all season: stifling defence, inventive offensive plays, and a rumbling old running game.

I had just turned nine when the Bombers won their last championship, and my whole football fan life has been in the 29 years since then. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it -- what it's like for your city to have a championship -- and think back to all of the Canadian football that has gone on in that time: the cold 1991 Grey Cup in Winnipeg, the Grey Cup losses in '92 and '93, the Reinebold Era, Stegall, Roberts, Jones, feeling like we're cursed in 2001 and 2007...

It's just so good to see them finally get that 11th championship.

And I am happy that this will shut up those godless trolls who hate their city and don't understand sports go on about "no championship in an eight-team league wahhh burn IGF to the ground and give up." Though we all know they'll waste no time predicting doom and gloom for next season.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I had just turned nine when the Bombers won their last championship, and my whole football fan life has been in the 29 years since then. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it -- what it's like for your city to have a championship -- and think back to all of the Canadian football that has gone on in that time: the cold 1991 Grey Cup in Winnipeg, the Grey Cup losses in '92 and '93, the Reinebold Era, Stegall, Roberts, Jones, feeling like we're cursed in 2001 and 2007...
You know, it's funny you mention that. I'm not really the biggest Olympic watcher but I always get a little emotional during the closing ceremonies... there is something about that 4 year chunk between the games that just really makes me feel the passage of time. Much more so than New Year’s. I always think back to what happened over the last four years and think ahead to how life will be different by the time the next one rolls around.

Last night was like that x5. I was 11 the last time the Bombers won… it’s crazy to think in that time since that last win I grew up, finished school, established a career, got married, saw the birth of my children, saw loved ones come and go, etc. It’s just staggering to me, it’s that slightly dizzy feeling you get when you really think about your place in the universe. All I can say is that I hope it won’t take another 29 years to repeat this accomplishment because I would literally be an old man by then.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:00 PM

First win in my lifetime. Was born a year after the last. That was one of the most dominant start-to-finish playoff performances we've seen in a looooong time, from any team. Played all 3 games; never gave up more than 14 points; ZERO turnovers, making them +13.

So happy Milt got to be there for it, you could tell he was just itching to get off the panel and down to the locker room after the game. Hope he's side by side with Harris leading the parade.

Also Jason Kenney is a loser.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also Jason Kenney is a loser.
He sure picked the right career. If he was in anything other than politics someone would have tuned him up by now and he'd have stopped acting like such a total ass.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:33 PM

It was brought up on the Rod Pedersen Show this morning that Winnipeg is back to being Saskatchewan's biggest rival. The Bombers have won the first game (preseason) first regular season, first playoff and first Western Final at the new stadium.
Wow! I didn't know it was that bad!! (or good, depending on your perspective )

Next year will be "Just Fantastic!"

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It was brought up on the Rod Pedersen Show this morning that Winnipeg is back to being Saskatchewan's biggest rival. The Bombers have won the first game (preseason) first regular season, first playoff and first Western Final at the new stadium.
Wow! I didn't know it was that bad!! (or good, depending on your perspective )

Next year will be "Just Fantastic!"
One more "first victory" left to achieve at Mosaic

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
One more "first victory" left to achieve at Mosaic
Ohhhh man you just had to bring that up!!!!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:59 PM

hehehe

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:03 PM
What could go wrong?

It was really cool last night. I was in my late teens the last time they won and remember going to P&M (drunk) and having a blast. Over the years I have told my son (13) how cool it is when Winnipeg wins championships.

Well there we were with 2 min left....finally feeling comfortable that we would actually win and I said to my boy "want to go to P&M?" It was awesome getting to experience that with him. Everyone was cheering and partying and my boy was just taking it all in.

It was really a cool moment. Thanks Big Blue!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:30 PM
the first stamp is free

^ that's awesome Biff.

I am pulling the kids out of school tomorrow for the parade.

My nine year old was going nuts when the Bombers won last night. It was great.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It was really cool last night. I was in my late teens the last time they won and remember going to P&M (drunk) and having a blast. Over the years I have told my son (13) how cool it is when Winnipeg wins championships.

Well there we were with 2 min left....finally feeling comfortable that we would actually win and I said to my boy "want to go to P&M?" It was awesome getting to experience that with him. Everyone was cheering and partying and my boy was just taking it all in.

It was really a cool moment. Thanks Big Blue!
It's fantastic when you can do that with your kids. My son and I went to Albert Street after the Riders won in 2013. Those things make your kids life long CFL fans.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
It's fantastic when you can do that with your kids. My son and I went to Albert Street after the Riders won in 2013. Those things make your kids life long CFL fans.
Exactly - I didn't watch football when the Riders won in 1989, but I can tell you that after my parents took me out to Albert Street that night, I was hooked! Family Fun Zone seats for at least 1/3rd of the season - spending my paper route money on Rider stuff & tickets. If we hadn't won in 1989, not sure I would be more than a passing fan.

Soak it up, Bomber fans - it's been a long-time coming. As Rider fans, we've been pretty lazy with the 1990 jokes - we're going to have to step it up.

You guys owned the play-offs, and the Grey Cup. No debate you earned this title.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:24 AM

"Here's what you need to know to catch the Grey Cup parade"

Parade kicks off at noon in downtown Winnipeg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...rade-1.5373174

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:26 AM

Well done Big Blue.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:53 AM

Wow! Wait a solid playoff run.

Woo hoo! Grey Cup Champions!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You know, it's funny you mention that. I'm not really the biggest Olympic watcher but I always get a little emotional during the closing ceremonies... there is something about that 4 year chunk between the games that just really makes me feel the passage of time. Much more so than New Year’s. I always think back to what happened over the last four years and think ahead to how life will be different by the time the next one rolls around.

Last night was like that x5. I was 11 the last time the Bombers won… it’s crazy to think in that time since that last win I grew up, finished school, established a career, got married, saw the birth of my children, saw loved ones come and go, etc. It’s just staggering to me, it’s that slightly dizzy feeling you get when you really think about your place in the universe. All I can say is that I hope it won’t take another 29 years to repeat this accomplishment because I would literally be an old man by then.
Absolutely. That's so much of it for me. Like I said, I had just turned nine when they won the Cup in 1990. My grandfather, who started attending Blue Bomber games when his father took him to Osborne Stadium in the early '40s when he was a boy, was still a spry 58 year-old with season tickets at Winnipeg Stadium. My grandpa died in 2016. His father would have been about my age in the early 1940s, and had been a fan going back to the days of the Winnipeg Rugby Football Club. On Sunday, my 10 year-old son watched the game with me. The fourth generation of young boys in my family falling in love with the home team and Canadian football.

Today at the parade I felt a lot of the same emotion; the feeling of being part of something a little more eternal. A parade down Portage Avenue just feels like the right thing to do for any championship or anything else great that comes to this city. It's deep in our memory, our psyche, our reflexes to do this. How nice we finally had an occasion for it.

Whew. Sports eh.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:40 PM

It's pretty incredible how dominant the Bombers were in the playoffs. Can't remember anything quite like that in recent years.

3 games. 0 turnovers. 13 Takeaways. 9 sacks. No more than 14 points against in any game, all in perfect conditions.

Amazing run. We knew this team was dominant coming in the season (and started off that way). Once we got an experienced QB again in Collaros, they were lights out, as expected.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:45 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's pretty incredible how dominant the Bombers were in the playoffs. Can't remember anything quite like that in recent years.

3 games. 0 turnovers. 13 Takeaways. 9 sacks. No more than 14 points against in any game, all in perfect conditions.

Amazing run. We knew this team was dominant coming in the season (and started off that way). Once we got an experienced QB again in Collaros, they were lights out, as expected.
Well, they had to spoil it with that turnover on downs in the dying seconds of the Grey Cup. I guess they felt it in poor taste to attempt a field goal.

They seemed to be perfectly prepared for Hamilton in every aspect of the game, offensively and defensively. Maybe the whole mid-season slump was choreographed to make the playoff opponents overconfident.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:12 AM

Yeah. Hamilton also ended the season playing EDM, OTT, MTL, TOR, then EDM again in east final. Had been a while since they were really challenged. Also playing in the east, they had a way lighter schedule all year, so 15-3 has to carry an asterisk. Not that it's not a great accomplishment, they’re a great team.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 6:54 PM

Collaros signed - love it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan