HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 4:44 PM
一台一中 ~ 台灣民國

Taiwan plans multibillion-dollar project to modernize international airport

Taiwan plans multibillion-dollar project to modernize international airport

TAIPEI, Taiwan: Taiwan plans to spend billions of dollars (euros) to renovate its dilapidated international airport near the capital of Taipei and build an ultramodern satellite town around it, officials said Tuesday.

The plan, which includes building a new terminal, an additional runway and airport maintenance facilities, is a key infrastructural project proposed by incoming President Ma Ying-jeou.

As planned, a satellite town will be built next to the airport development to include hotels, shopping malls, trade exhibition halls and a residential area.

Total investment for the Taoyuan International Airport and the adjacent town occupying an area of 7,200 hectares (17,780 acres) is slated for 1.2 trillion New Taiwan dollars (US$40 billion, 25 billion), officials said.

Legislative approval for land acquisition and construction work is expected shortly after Ma's inauguration in May 20, said Chu Li-lun, chief executive of Taoyuan County in northern Taiwan.

"We welcome international and mainland Chinese investors to invest in the project," Chu told The Associated Press.

"If South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong can build modern airports, so can we," he added.

The current international airport, inaugurated 28 years ago, has become aged and its operation has been criticized as inefficient.

A recent international airport quality assessment ranks the Taiwan airport 98th out of 136 major airports in the world, said Chiang Chun-ting, a Taoyuan County government official.

The new project could create 80,000 new jobs and generate NT$600 billion (US$20 billion, 12.6 billion) in annual revenues, he said.

Copyright 穢 2008 the International Herald Tribune All rights reserved

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 11:48 AM

This is some of the best news I've heard in awhile. Airports are important, i mean its one of the first things tourists and business people see when they enter your country. HK, China, South Korea, Japan all have excellent airport facilities. I hope they opt for an entirely new big terminal. I hate cheesy add ons, but what is what I'm hoping for just wishful thoughts? T2 wasn't all that great but it's only been in service for so long

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:47 AM

that is very good!

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
Utopia Society

all these talks!? when tho?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 3:00 PM

we are still waiting
still waiting............
still waiting............

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 5:48 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Terminal 1 Renovation

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 9:22 AM

Gross... and the terminals aren't getting updated? What a disappointment. Moreover, the renovation does not match terminal 2. New nice airport line is getting linked to this...

When I look at the many nice airports in the Asia Pacific, I can't help but feel ashamed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 6:14 PM

one consolation is that they have at least put in new lighting and revamped counters and check-in gates in terminal 1.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2008, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
Gross... and the terminals aren't getting updated? What a disappointment. Moreover, the renovation does not match terminal 2. New nice airport line is getting linked to this...

When I look at the many nice airports in the Asia Pacific, I can't help but feel ashamed.
that's why i keep saying they should just start from scratch and build a whole new airport next to the old one. they have the land for it. and hire a big-name foreign architect who really knows how to design for the future!!! antonio callatravas!!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:07 PM

still no update on the reno project? What's the hold up?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 7:14 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Hello Taiwanese government???

What's going on with the reno???

I thought you guys have a plan for the "Third Terminal"...is that cancelled?

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 1:50 PM

they've upgraded the lighting and floor and are in the process of swapping out the check-in counters I last remember. Also, the underground restaurants no longer exist (undergoing rennovations for the metro), and the departure hall restaurants are closed as well. I'd say a revamp of the inside shouldn't be that much more work... just give the walls a new cladding and it should look fairly presentable. It's the outside that needs to get started.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 7:25 PM

omg, the entire airport soo needed a complete makeover last century.. it's not even funny.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 1:23 AM

The good news is the terminal 1 is going to close this June because the redevelopment!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamchung taiwan View Post
The good news is the terminal 1 is going to close this June because the redevelopment!
That's fantastic news! How long are they closing T1 for? Are all traffic redirected to T2? Is there enough capacity? What about SongShan airport? Any plans to renovate that thing? That airport is looks like its in need of a major reno as well!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeplanner View Post
That's fantastic news! How long are they closing T1 for? Are all traffic redirected to T2? Is there enough capacity? What about SongShan airport? Any plans to renovate that thing? That airport is looks like its in need of a major reno as well!
Actually, I get this info from this news!

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url.../78/1dvrj.html

銝芰撠孵遣 芰征砍豢
湔唳交:2009/02/04 04:09
閮憪隞靽柴嚗蝬勗獢璈渲銝芰隞撟游剜撠澆券X孵遣撌亦嚗望潔漱券瑟瘝餃閬瘙拙僑批撌伐銝芰Z券嚗雿喃芰征砍詨賊撱賣芣亙圈伐芰征砍豢敹獢璈游脣仿

銝芰隞餈摰嗉芰征砍貊剜雿嚗芰征砍訾蜓蝞∟”蝷綽銝芰瘥憭拇摰Y剜韏琿撣嗆畾萄鈭撌桐憭嚗憒銝嚗摰Y剜亙箏券刻唬芰雿嚗撠芰征砍詻摰V隤芷賣臭游拙丐

瘞芸瑟樴銵函內嚗銝芰孵遣摰銝暸嗡撟游摰撌伐箏蝮桀極拚嚗蝣箏祕銝斗∪芰券典芣踝雿航賣寞銝芯嚗銝拚勗扳摰獢

樴綽芰券典嗥嗅頞撌交抬雿鈭芰賢西瑟瘚琿脩怨身賢芰征砍詨蝑憿銝憭批嚗敹閬璇隞嗆賢典嚗撠銝銋航寞銋銝樴隤迎桀甇斗撌脩梯輸V漱梁撱箸撖拇伐敺澆賢極
==========================================================
From this news,this redevelopment will contract out this June. The transport minister is asking whole project must be finished within 2 years. To do this, closing terminal 1 is the best way. However, there are a lot of issues need to consider, for example does terminal 2 have enough capacity?

Acutally, this update is still going, but they just waste too much time.....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 10:53 PM

I was reading this months Airliner Magazine and there was a little blurb and a photo about Taoyuan Airport. This photo looks like they are doing some major digging in the parking lot outside of T2. The Caption says they are working on the foundation of Terminal 3 expected to be completed around 2020.. That doesn't sound right to me... Can somebody confirm? I am thinking maybe they are working on the airport MRT line?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I was reading this months Airliner Magazine and there was a little blurb and a photo about Taoyuan Airport. This photo looks like they are doing some major digging in the parking lot outside of T2. The Caption says they are working on the foundation of Terminal 3 expected to be completed around 2020.. That doesn't sound right to me... Can somebody confirm? I am thinking maybe they are working on the airport MRT line?
I highly doubt that considering the current infrastructure of T1/T2 are nowhere close to max capacity. The TTY Access MRT is suppose to have a stop in both Terminal 1 and 2.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Does that picture just like this one ?

That should be MRT line, the MRT will go through underground of T1 and T2 which will be A12, A13. The A14 will be located on west of T3.

Rendering of A12

A13

A14a (It's not the rendering for A14, it's another station which will be next to transit hotel. So there is no rendering for A14 so far.)

Last edited by williamchung taiwan; Mar 2, 2009 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 4:06 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
The Caption says they are working on the foundation of Terminal 3 expected to be completed around 2020.. That doesn't sound right to me... Can somebody confirm? I am thinking maybe they are working on the airport MRT line?
They're working on both. The A14 station is in the basement of T3.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > Taiwan