HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 11:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
At least the "chasm" breaks up what would be one massive wall along the side of the building. The chasm also makes it so you would want to look up towards the top.
I like that Tower 2 itself resembles a "family" of skyscrapers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 9:40 PM

The perfectionist in me has a hard time dealing with the asymmetry of the "parallelograms" at the top. I wish the edges were perfectly parallel with each other. It bothers me for some reason. But yet, I probably wouldn't look at it and try to figure it out for so long, and that may be one of the reasons for doing this since its not as easy to "figure out".

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
I love boxes.

^They are not "parallelograms". "Parellelopiped" is the correct term because we live in a 3-Dimensional world.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless View Post
The perfectionist in me has a hard time dealing with the asymmetry of the "parallelograms" at the top. I wish the edges were perfectly parallel with each other. It bothers me for some reason.
The shape/floorplan of the building has a lot to do with that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 6:20 PM

This design is a nice compliment to the Freedom tower, however, the freedom tower's roof is actually lower than the structural "roof tip" on 2WTC. If both of these buildings were identical, that might be okay, but in this case it detracts too much from the Freedom Tower (spire notwithstanding) and I belive the roof on the Freedom Tower should be raised to perhaps 1475' or 1500' to make the two work better together, and maintain the continuity of Liebeskinds original plans for the relative heights of WTC 1,2,3 and 4.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 7:37 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
however, the freedom tower's roof is actually lower than the structural "roof tip" on 2WTC.
That is incorrect.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:41 PM
I love boxes.

^^
"NYC: Freedom Tower/1 WTC - 1,776' spire, 1368' structural, 1335' roof #2"

He's probably comparing the triangular top of WTC2 to roof # 2 of FT. I think 1335' is the real roof, 1368' is the height of glass parapet.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 8:58 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
This design is a nice compliment to the Freedom tower, however, the freedom tower's roof is actually lower than the structural "roof tip" on 2WTC. If both of these buildings were identical, that might be okay, but in this case it detracts too much from the Freedom Tower (spire notwithstanding) and I belive the roof on the Freedom Tower should be raised to perhaps 1475' or 1500' to make the two work better together, and maintain the continuity of Liebeskinds original plans for the relative heights of WTC 1,2,3 and 4.

Well, a height increase may, perhaps possibly could be, in the offing (though I really doubt it) because Silverstein made some noises, apparantly, about increasing the height of 3 WTC because of the current boom in office demand.

But as far as aesthetics are concerned, remember that in many renderings 2 WTC looks significantly lower than the FT, because from the angle pictured (looking across the Hudson), it further back than the FT.

Not I see a problem with having a 2 WTC that looks like a good replacement for one of the Twins, heightwise, or anything...

I ❤️ NY

Last edited by CoolCzech; Oct 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:00 PM
Desert Dweller

I cant wait to see this one finished, the ONLY problem I have is why arent all the diamonds aligned properly? Some renders show them aligned, other show them at varying angles.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
^^
"NYC: Freedom Tower/1 WTC - 1,776' spire, 1368' structural, 1335' roof #2"

He's probably comparing the triangular top of WTC2 to roof # 2 of FT. I think 1335' is the real roof, 1368' is the height of glass parapet.
The roof is marked as 1,362'. The Parapet marks the 1,368 ft mark.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I cant wait to see this one finished, the ONLY problem I have is why arent all the diamonds aligned properly? Some renders show them aligned, other show them at varying angles.
Post 204.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Schedule from wtc.com:

Foundation Construction...................... July - December 2008
Construction Drawings......................... April 1, 2008
Superstructure to Ground Level............. January - July 2009
Structural Steel Erection...................... July 2009 - March 2011
Structural Concrete Tower Core & Slab........... October 2009 - June 2011
Core and Shell Work .............................March 2010 - December 2012
Curtain Wall......................................... April 2010 - March 2012

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 11:51 AM
New Yorker for life

pathrestoration.com

Overall site:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2007, 8:10 PM
New Yorker for life

http://renewnyc.com/content/pdfs/VSS...gationPlan.pdf

As planning for the timing of the extraction and installation of the resource has progressed, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (“Port Authority”) has identified a potential temporary storage location on the World Trade Center site (“WTC Site”). Accordingly, the Final Mitigation Plan states that the run of stairs and “connector plate” at the top of the stairs will be stored on or in the immediate vicinity of the WTC Site during the construction period if such storage is feasible. In addition, the Final Mitigation Plan now indicates that portions of the “connector plate” will be installed on the Memorial Plaza in an area dedicated to survivors in proximity to the “Surviving Tree,” if such installation is feasible. Other revisions also clarify the roles of the Port Authority and Museum in carrying out the mitigation plan.

LMDC shall facilitate and ensure that Port Authority and Museum will cooperate and engage appropriate consultants to: (1) extract intact and move the entire run of stairs and the “connector plate” at the top of the stairs; (2) store these elements on or in the immediate vicinity of the WTC Site until such time as they can be installed in their permanent locations, if such storage is feasible, and if such storage of any of these elements is not feasible, store those elements at Hangar 17; (3) return and install intact the run of stairs and a portion of the “connector plate” in the Museum in a central location between the grand staircase and escalator system leading down to bedrock, in a manner that ensures that visitors will be able to view the staircase as they descend down the grand staircase or escalator; (4) provide for meaningful incorporation of the story and significance of the staircase, and, if feasible, including part of the “connector plate,” within the “primary narrative” of the Museum; (5) return a portion of the “connector plate” to the at-grade Memorial Plaza along with interpretive signage in an area dedicated to survivors in proximity to the “Surviving Tree,” if feasible; and (6) maintain archival black and white photographic documentation of the staircase and additional photographic and video documentation of the staircase.

LMDC believes that this Final Mitigation Plan will allow for permanent display of the character-defining elements of the Vesey Street Stair Remnant in a setting that will acknowledge and convey the importance of the resource. The Plan ensures that the remnant will form an integral part of the entire Memorial and Museum experience.

LMDC also believes, based on its extensive review and its consultation with the Consulting Parties, that this Final Mitigation Plan constitutes reasonable and practicable steps to minimize or mitigate adverse effects to the degree consistent with the World Trade Center Memorial and Redevelopment Plan, sound engineering practice and relevant construction considerations, and is in keeping with the letter and spirit of the Programmatic Agreement.

Dated: October 31, 2007

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:35 PM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 25, 2007

May it rest in peace...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 7:56 PM
World Machine

The DB Building is really a sad looking site. Everytime I'm down there I always see tourists looking at it with a blank stare, not knowing the story behind it.

What's good though is that the 'W' Hotel site is directly behind it, so at some point it'll look like as one is coming down, another is rising.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The DB Building is really a sad looking site. Everytime I'm down there I always see tourists looking at it with a blank stare, not knowing the story behind it.

This one is just as bad:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 11:03 PM

I ll be glad to see those go

How tall is the atrium area?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 11:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This one is just as bad:

Haha!!

What an ugly eyesore THAT building is?!!!!!!

Worst yet, those two structures have sat there for over six years and the process to get them down has been going so painfully friggen slow!!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:14 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm surprised nobody has cried out to keep Fitterman Hall as is, as part of a 9/11 memorial. I'm sure some of the "stair" crowd would follow it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction