HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 2:30 PM

Lima, Peru

I visited Lima last year for the 2nd time.  I first visited back in 2013 with my best friend who was born & raised there (but has lived in the US since the early 90s).  He was getting married last year and opted to have the wedding in Lima to be closer to his family.  It was great to be back! 

After a red-eye from Miami, I landed in Lima on the morning of March 21, checked into my hotel in Miraflores, and promptly set out for coffee and to wander around nearby San Isidro.  Leaving Chicago in March and arriving to this environment was wonderful!   

Is Bosque El Olivar park in San Isidro:   

Elsewhere in San Isidro are numerous parks tucked in the middle of blocks and surrounded by dense condo & apartment buildings. These residences overlooking the parks offer such a peaceful and pleasant oasis in what can be a rather chaotic city sometimes (the traffic is insane).   

Now off to the coast in Miraflores:   

Enjoying the national drink, a pisco sour!   

The next morning, I went on a tour of Congress. A friend of mine whose sister works there arranged for a private tour.   I even got to meet the President of the Congress.  For whatever reason I didn’t take many photos inside the building.   

Outside wandering around the historic downtown area, Plaza de Armas de Lima:   

The Basilica Cathedral of Lima:   

The Basilica and Convent of San Francisco, Lima:   

On Saturday morning I went on a tour of the Huaca Pucllana.  This is located in the middle of Lima and is an actual archaeological dig site.  I’d visited here back in 2013, but only to have dinner at the adjacent restaurant overlooking the dig site.  Definitely was good that I did this tour in the morning because it was quickly heating up under the blazing sun.    

You can see off in the distance some clouds which are indicative of the marine layer and stratus along the coast.   

After sweating it out wandering around the dig site, I promptly headed back to the coast to enjoy the cool comfortable sea breeze and get a break from the sun.  It was refreshing!    

Lunch was two tasty empanadas:   

I’ll share one photo from my friend’s wedding. The dessert table was quite immaculate!    

The next morning I headed off to Neira Café Lab for some coffee:    

Then I walked along the coastline from Miraflores down to Barranco:   

Heading into Barranco.  I loved this neighborhood when I first visited back in 2013 and it was great to be back again!    

Looking back towards Miraflores:    

Continuing down the coast towards central Barranco:    

Heading into Central Barranco:    

Lovely garden setting for lunch:    

Closing out my 4 days in Lima with a beautiful sunset from Miraflores:    

Since I’d already visited Lima 6 years earlier, I opted to spend an extended weekend there before flying south to Chile where I spent the majority of my South American trip.  I visited both Valparaiso and Santiago, as well as toured some amazing vineyards and went on a day trip up into the Andes Mountains.  At some point I’ll post those photos. 

Last edited by OhioGuy; May 17, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

Very nice.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 4:36 PM
BANNED

Gorgeous!!!

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:37 AM

Excellent photos, thank you for posting. We visited Lima about five or six years ago, on our way to Cusco and Macchu Picchu, and I found it to be a very enjoyable city, with a pleasant climate and a lot of parks. Someone compared it to LA, and I think that makes sense, as it is a sprawling city, has popular beaches, and the fog in the mornings.

Our friend is from Lima and her parents were gracious, wonderful, hosts for us while we visited, showing us much of the city and preparing us a delicious Peruvian lunch.

Did you enjoy Chile? We’re (hopefully) going to Argentina and Uruguay in November. We were going to visit Santiago as well but they had extensive protests last year.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Did you enjoy Chile? We’re (hopefully) going to Argentina and Uruguay in November. We were going to visit Santiago as well but they had extensive protests last year.
I really enjoyed it. As far as what I noticed about both Valparaiso and Santiago, both cities seemed to have less disparity between rich and poor compared to Lima. That's not to say there aren't differences in quality of life for poor Chileans compared with wealthy Chileans, but the disparity seemed less than Lima. Overall it just seemed more developed. And the subway system in Santiago was rather impressive! Lima has plans for a more robust rail transportation system (it's desperately needed as traffic is horrible in Lima), while Santiago already has a very well developed system. Even Valparaiso has a subway line (which I rode).

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 11:29 PM
DownTowner

Thanks for the photos.

Walking along the extensive parkland (malecones) along the edge of the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Miraflores and Barranco is one of my favorite things to do in Lima.

The restaurant scene in Lima is one of the best in the world, for sure.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 2:46 AM

Nice pictures! I see similarities in different pictures to San Jose, Costa Rica; Santa Monica, California; and El Pueblo de Los Angeles in Los Angeles.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:21 AM
them bones

My brother in law (married to my wife's sister) is from Lima and his family has given us an open invitation. It looks like a great city and will likely be on an agenda for us at some point.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 8:52 PM
Illustrator, editor

Lima looks amazing, have to go there some day! Have only been to Guatamala and El Salvador of the Latin American countries.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:25 AM
Future God

Amazing photos of a stunningly beautiful city... to me, Lima/Cusco should be on the 'must visit' list of any world traveler, hands down.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 7:55 PM

Probably the first time I've ever seen Lima, and it looks lovely! Great tour, seems like you had a wonderful trip.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 8:19 PM

It's really not bad at all, huh?

The food looks cool too, although this looks a bit like "cuisine nouvelle", some sort of contemporary scam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Lol, they'd bring a huge plate to you with almost nothing in the middle, then you're like - what the heck!? I want more!
When you get out of that kind of "cuisine nouvelle" restaurants over here, you just paid €120 and you're still hungry.
There's nothing like it to piss me off. I call it mere con, fraud, swindle, whatever the proper term.

Anyway, nice to see people seem to be doing ok over there.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 11:48 AM
if I sang out of tune

Thankyou for the tour, very much needed. Can almost feel the sea air.

Ive heard Peru is in the desert area of the country? And the cuisine is one of the best in the world. Can you attest?

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:49 PM
DownTowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Thankyou for the tour, very much needed. Can almost feel the sea air.

Ive heard Peru is in the desert area of the country? And the cuisine is one of the best in the world. Can you attest?
I consider myself a gourmet, and as I said in an earlier post, the restaurant scene in Lima is one of the best in the world.

It is tops in Latin America, in my opinion.

see links below:

https://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50

https://www.theworlds50best.com/lati...a/en/list/1-50
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:51 AM
Beer Stampede

Very nice photos!! Thanks!!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:58 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I need to go there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 8:48 PM

A beautiful city that I need to visit before too late.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 9:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh i missed this thread. very nice to see the charming parts of lima. it looks like you could have a very pleasant stay and explore a bit with ease.

any nice beaches nearby? how about the islands like isla san lorenzo?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:44 AM

Nice but like to the modern side of Lima

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:31 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Looks kind of lush considering it averages less than 2 inches of rain a year. Your pictures make me want to visit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos