HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Station Square V in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 8:09 PM

nope, that is Solo district in Brentwood, which does involve a major office component.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 10:20 PM
Bridge Walker!

Wow, it's pure awesomeness!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2012, 10:34 PM

Honestly, Burnaby will be insane for a suburb of just over 200 000. And the fact that Metrotown will actually also have 3 (4?) substantial office towers along with a couple smaller ones among this mix of residential really does make it our metro's second core.

Also, this development, along with other current one, will actually make its skyline / core more three dimensional (at least for a few blocks), and not just linear as it is now.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

There is now a rezoning application notification poster in the window of the former Thai restaurant.

Last edited by red-paladin; Jun 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:33 AM

I find it interesting that Bellevue was mentioned. I like the shopping there but it's kinda far from Downtown Seattle (and when I say "kinda", I mean "hella") and although there is a bus loop, there does not be anyway that they could extend their light rail system all the way to Bellevue. Also, their streets are HOOGE, which makes walking a pain. A couple of really tall towers can't mitigate that.

I am looking forward to the new Station Square. I hope it spurs some improvement in Crystal Mall and a virtual transformation of that sad strip mall with the IGA.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 3:07 AM

The one square mile that makes up Metrotown, had a population in 2001 of 25 000 people, so today that population has to have grown to close to 30 000 people. Hard to believe considering how dull the street life is.

I think this next round of heavy development will finally push Metrotown's density to the point of overcoming that mammoth malls urban stifling nature. There are some who will disagree, but I see Metrotown having close to Downtown type densities in 20 years.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
*pukes*

This is how the tallest condos in a seattle suburb (bellevue) look like in comparison to the above pomo piles:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com
Just looked it up - you can get a 1400 sq foot apt here for $460 000. Better than that, you can get a 1bd 800 sq. ft. apt in the best part of Ballard (super cool neighbourhood) for around 220k!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 3:55 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I find it interesting that Bellevue was mentioned. I like the shopping there but it's kinda far from Downtown Seattle (and when I say "kinda", I mean "hella") and although there is a bus loop, there does not be anyway that they could extend their light rail system all the way to Bellevue. Also, their streets are HOOGE, which makes walking a pain. A couple of really tall towers can't mitigate that.

I am looking forward to the new Station Square. I hope it spurs some improvement in Crystal Mall and a virtual transformation of that sad strip mall with the IGA.
I think they are in fact extending their LRT to Bellevue. Isn't that where their "East Link" is supposed to go?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 5:28 AM

Oops, my bad. I guess when I was reading that there appeared to be so much opposition to light rail amongst some Bellevue bigwhigs, I just assumed they wouldn't get it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Love it, Metrotown's skyline is going to dominate much of the metro area (already it can be seen from many vantage points far away).

I guess even more American tourists are going to mistake it for downtown, haha.

And for residential plus being a suburb, the towers look pretty good to me.

Sorry Dleung, but I honestly don't like those towers in Bellevue, have always found them cold confused in their execution.
even surrey look slike dt with the future towers, what a great city, a great future (not so great in terms of price)

there's a reason why they call 150m a skyscraper, the visual effect is great. how many would van get in the future in terms of these, it's hard to imagine. 30min of travelling, u'd still be inside an urban area, 10 yrs ago that'd be hard to imagine for this city. check out brentwood in the future, a second metrotown. can we possibly reach to this pt without the asian market, applause.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
I think the cluster of tall, ominous appearing towers looks great. There is no design or aesthetic code that suggests you cannot go taller than most buildings in the principal CBD of Vancouver.

PS: What is with all the metrosexuals in the second street view rendering....?
I was going to say I've never seen so many attractive caucasian males at Metro town in a single day.. let alone a street shot pre night. Meow!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 1:01 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I don't have a problem with these towers. The design isn't spectacular, but it looks good.

I'm trying to imagine what this project will do to the skyline looking south from the Lougheed Mall parking lot. That was always the best vantage point when viewing the Metrotown skyline.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 2:39 PM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
I was going to say I've never seen so many attractive caucasian males at Metro town in a single day.. let alone a street shot pre night. Meow!
Exactly...They also forgot to include rendering of a dude hauling extra large pack of toilet paper from Superstore...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 4:03 PM

That render is so cool! Sure, design of the towers is nothing spectacular, but it's IMO fine for Metrotown. More importantly, this project has great mass and height, which are very much needed in the area they will be developed on. The current area is the most dead area in whole Metrotown, so this will improve the whole suburb A LOT.

Already today I like how Metrotown looks like when driving east on Kingsway and the first towers become visible together. This project will add a great new layer to that view!

Funny that they left The Sovereign out from the render, eventhough it will be very visible from this angle.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 5:53 PM

OK, now with all these proposals (and those u/c) I would love to see some new future skyline renders for Metrotown. Too bad all the decent render makers only focus on Toronto.

With this development and Sovereign, looking down Kingsway is going to be pretty impressive in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2012, 8:25 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I don't have a problem with these towers. The design isn't spectacular, but it looks good.

I'm trying to imagine what this project will do to the skyline looking south from the Lougheed Mall parking lot. That was always the best vantage point when viewing the Metrotown skyline.
I've always found the best place to view the Metrotown skyline is from the south end of the concourse platform at Brentwood station.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 2:49 AM

See report starting at page 80 here.
There's supposed to be commercial space in the podiums.

https://burnaby.civicweb.net/Documen....aspx?ID=11836

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Love it, Metrotown's skyline is going to dominate much of the metro area (already it can be seen from many vantage points far away).

I guess even more American tourists are going to mistake it for downtown, haha.

And for residential plus being a suburb, the towers look pretty good to me.

Sorry Dleung, but I honestly don't like those towers in Bellevue, have always found them cold confused in their execution.
The towers in this project will be cold AND cheap-looking, despite the apparently-successfully-deceptive golden hue from the sunset render.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:37 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Again, dleung, this project gets 10 points in my book specifically because you don't like it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2012, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Again, dleung, this project gets 10 points in my book specifically because you don't like it.
Doesn't that mean that every project gets a minimum of 10 points?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley