HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 10:23 PM

This tower is coming along nicely, but it looks much better from Rittenhouse Square than it does from 18th Street where passerby are greeted by a tiny entrance and a big blank wall

As I walked by, it was wierd, but for a minute I empathized with those SOS nutjobs who tried to save those buildings.

But then I was reminded how easily SOS could have requested ground floor retail for 18th Street. The All-or-Nothing approach that NIMBYs take drives me crazy! Instead of fighting tooth and nail against the tower, they could have EASILY worked with the developer to make the tower as nice as possible - for everybody - that includes ground floor retail for 18th Street.

As nice as this tower is for our skyline and the economy, the streetscape on 18th St looked better with Rindlaubs (sp?) Row. Not saying I regret their destruction but it's a shame retail space couldn't be preserved here.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 10:55 PM

I was under impression that the "blank wall" was only temporary and that there was a restaurant going in that space once the building is totally finished? Though I could be wrong about that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 4:13 PM
Western Suburbs

Michael Klein noted in November that Serafina may be the signature Restaurant in 10 Rittenhouse.

Monday, November 2, 2009
Serafina coming to Philly?

What's up with 10 Rittenhouse, the luxury high-rise condo nearing completion at 18th and Sansom Streets?

The Illadelph reported this morning that its restaurant space will be at street level at the corner and also speculated about the occupant.

I can confirm that Serafina, the Manhattan Theater District Italian, is in negotiations. While developers are not talking, a rep for the restaurant noted that negotiations were ongoing. The concept would be similar to the Serafina at 55th and Broadway, whose lively, Fellini-esque atmosphere was conjured by David Rockwell.

Also in the running for the space is restaurateur Todd English, whose holdings include his Boston-area flagship Olives.

Stay tuned.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 6:18 PM

Does anyone have a picture? I could very well be wrong, but to me, it did not at all appear to be a temporary wall. And usually with new construction, all retail space is built along with the rest of the structure. From what I saw on the street, I would find it hard to believe that, after construction, they will re-construct that space - including windows - to suit a new restaurant.

Sorry I don't have a picture, but what I am referring to is between the condo entrance by Sansom Street and the side entrance of the Rittenhouse Club (?) where Barney's is at.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 7:10 PM
Resident Jackass

What's the status of this building? Have people started to move in yet?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 12:11 AM

There is definitively a restaurant going in on the eighteenth street side. The street level wall looks blank now because there are huge plywood planks inserted where the windows will be eventually. They are VERY large openings...and i think it will enliven the corner even more so than it was previously.

On another note...i noticed today that the windows on the Penthouse (2 floors) have been reinstalled on the Walnut Street side. i recall reading in the phila biz journal that the original windows were removed because a buyer bought two units on the top two floors to combine them into one...with some resulting structural changes. i imagine some sort of grand two story living space. that's gonna be one hell of a living room

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 1:36 PM

Indeed there is plywood covering the windows on the 18th st side. My excuse was that the plywood was painted and looked more like a continuous wall of the building from afar. Plus, the oddly-placed utility door.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 4:07 PM

Van Rensselaer Mansion

photo credit: frysingerreunion.org

So we're talking about a space on 18th between the Van Rensselaer Mansion and mid-block? Does 10 Ritt adjoin the mansion on that side or is there space between the buildings? And does 10 Ritt extend right to the sidewalk on 18th or is that portion set back?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:39 PM

it's the space between the mansion and sansom street. it's really the corner of 18th and sansom.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
There is definitively a restaurant going in on the eighteenth street side. The street level wall looks blank now because there are huge plywood planks inserted where the windows will be eventually. They are VERY large openings...and i think it will enliven the corner even more so than it was previously.
Thank God. I couldn't imagine a Robert A. M. Stern building would allow a blank wall at street level. He's responsible for 15 Central Park West, some of whose condo's fetched tens and tens of millions just a year or two ago. He wouldn't do a blank wall.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:22 AM
Midrise

Inga weighs in

According to Inga's column, 10 Rit's developers "have found excellent tenants" for the retail spaces. Any idea who the retail tenants are, beyond the already open Barney's and possibly Serafina's restaurant, as noted upthread?

She also confirms my earlier statements about the brick veneer:

"The tower's facade may want for detailing, but at least the brick is the real deal, even if the veneer on the panels is a mere half-inch thick."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/colum...pretender.html

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:09 PM

De gustibus non est disputandum, but that critic does the textbook error of criticizing a traditionally influenced building for not being modern and not being traditional enough. What makes this building, and a lot of Stern's buildings work so well is that it's not slavishly orthodox to modernity or traditionalism, but cuts a path that integrates both, which is why they work so well in their context. Look at the last picture in the Inquirer slideshow, the building links the modern skyscrapers and highrises with the traditional architecture of the square.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:26 PM

ehhh for a building that was built in the 21st century, i would have rather had a building that looked like it was built in the 21st century. i.e. add to the architectural diversity of the square, rather than try to blend in and be a quiet, modest neighbor. plus, as SOS demonstrated, even with this style of building, people will still be against it. so why not have something modern?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 6:12 PM

Looks like some of the windows/doors are going in on the 18th and the sansom street sides.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 10:48 PM
BANNED

So does anyone have some greats shots of this in the snow? Has it been officially completed and opened?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 4:36 PM
Realtor

It is officially open and residents are living there but there is still a lot of work to be done on certain floors. I actually took a tour of one of the units and have to say, it was fantastic. Incredibly nice and truly lux living.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive