HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 20, 2023, 11:53 PM

Convince the YMCA to move, and we could have home plate looking directly towards the capital courtesy of the CVCs.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:05 AM

East Pickle would be a great spot for the stadium. You might even be able to privately finance it if it has enough adjacent development but that would require more land. I don't see public money going to this unless travis county wants to pay for it but their anal about not investing much money in Austin city limits.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:18 AM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:20 AM

Two huge pluses of putting it at the YMCA site are we either get a renovated proper Amtrak/Transit station (or moved somewhere else convenient), and that old forgotten warehouse factory rustyard becomes a prime redevelopment parcel.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
well done.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 4:20 AM

Seriously very well done zrx.

Another zany suggestion: put it on the I35 cap between cesar chavez and 4th.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 11:41 AM

I really think the only way Austin (or SA for that matter) gets MLB/NFL is if they do an Arlington style arena district in between New Braunfels and San Marcos or something.

MLB and NFL have been toying around with SA forever. There was chatter about the Marlins relocating in the mid 2000s, the Saints after Katrina and most recently, the Oakland Raiders.

Having a 5M+ region to pull from and Fortune 5's/companies from both cities has to be attractive... the infrastructure is a different story though.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:21 PM
World Traveler

Yeah, I'd have to agree on the Domain...as much as I'd like it downtown.

While I wouldn't like it as much and it would be a stretch in a thousand different ways, another area with plenty of land and a rail stop is on the east side of Lakeline Station. Connectivity to 45 and 183A, by a growing area with a lot already and the potential (with other adjacent open land) to build density around it similar to a Domain feel. In the Domain, near Q2 Stadium, would be so much better, of course. The question is whether or not the area could handle games at both stadiums with traffic and existing transit options. There would be some overlap.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I really think the only way Austin (or SA for that matter) gets MLB/NFL is if they do an Arlington style arena district in between New Braunfels and San Marcos or something.

MLB and NFL have been toying around with SA forever. There was chatter about the Marlins relocating in the mid 2000s, the Saints after Katrina and most recently, the Oakland Raiders.

Having a 5M+ region to pull from and Fortune 5's/companies from both cities has to be attractive... the infrastructure is a different story though.
Don't ever see it getting built south of Austin and there's a reason why S.A. has been toyed with over and over again with nothing getting done. The XFL is a perfect fit for S.A. Now the Spurs are playing games up in Austin and Mexico City "to help build their brand" allegedly. People from S.A. will travel the same way people from Austin travel down for a Spurs game. Austin's central location provides the pull from the Killeen–Temple–Fort Hood metropolitan area (500k+) as well as the S.A. metro. Just need Michael Dell, Larry Ellison or the Ryan Group to pull the trigger.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Don't ever see it getting built south of Austin and there's a reason why S.A. has been toyed with over and over again with nothing getting done. The XFL is a perfect fit for S.A. Now the Spurs are playing games up in Austin and Mexico City "to help build their brand" allegedly. People from S.A. will travel the same way people from Austin travel down for a Spurs game. Austin's central location provides the pull from the Killeen–Temple–Fort Hood metropolitan area (500k+) as well as the S.A. metro. Just need Michael Dell, Larry Ellison or the Ryan Group to pull the trigger.
The problem with putting a stadium in the middle of nowhere is it's going to have to be backed by a public tax. Putting something in Austin proper has the chance to privately finance. It's possible that San Marcos or some other town could see the appeal of a voter paid for stadium for tourism purposes like Arlington.

Personally, I prefer a stadium I can get to quickly and easily via mass transit as oppose to spending 2 hours in traffic on a highway with everyone else going to the stadium.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Two huge pluses of putting it at the YMCA site are we either get a renovated proper Amtrak/Transit station (or moved somewhere else convenient), and that old forgotten warehouse factory rustyard becomes a prime redevelopment parcel.
"That old forgotten warehouse factory rustyard" has been a prime redevelopment parcel for several decades. That doesn't mean the crazy owner is anymore likely to sell.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2023, 8:13 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I love the YMCA site idea. Not sure it's big enough, however. The field alone would take up 3-4.5 acres.

Also, what is the height limit under that CVC? It will definitely have an affect on the main grandstand wrapping behind third, home and first bases. I believe most are between 150' and 250' tall.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Apr 21, 2023 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
I'm just speaking hypothetically. I don't really see SA or Austin getting an NFL team in the near future. Lots of barricades there (Jerry Jones, the McNairs, UT).

Idk why Killeen/Temple would be much of a pull though when the 35 corridor between SA/Austin is growing like wildfire and you have wealth + a Fortune 5 company in New Braunfels. Not sure how many people in Austin are routinely making the trip for Spurs games but I can't imagine it being a lot.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I'm just speaking hypothetically. I don't really see SA or Austin getting an NFL team in the near future. Lots of barricades there (Jerry Jones, the McNairs, UT).

Idk why Killeen/Temple would be much of a pull though when the 35 corridor between SA/Austin is growing like wildfire and you have wealth + a Fortune 5 company in New Braunfels. Not sure how many people in Austin are routinely making the trip for Spurs games but I can't imagine it being a lot.
As long as Jerra is involved it ain't happening. We need a coup by his kids and then there might be a tiny glimmer of hope to land a franchise.

The direction college FB is headed we'll probably have 2 super conferences, SEC/B1G, which will resemble the AFC/NFC of the NFL so there's that. My first preference has and always will be college FB and the Horns.

MLB is probably the best shot and the Ryan Group has some sway. Time will tell but doubt it will ever happen. College baseball is what I follow and watch though and I can't wait until UT enters the SEC. That league for baseball will be insane!

So I guess the ATX will have to do with big time "professional" college sports which I ain't complaining about one bit.

Last edited by ATX2030; Apr 22, 2023 at 2:35 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I love the YMCA site idea. Not sure it's big enough, however. The field alone would take up 3-4.5 acres.

Also, what is the height limit under that CVC? It will definitely have an affect on the main grandstand wrapping behind third, home and first bases. I believe most are between 150' and 250' tall.
I think it's close. Tried to be as accurate as I could with my crude mashup and using Google Maps (that's Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark for the non baseball fans). The Amtrak station would most likely need to be moved next door behind Austin Pets Alive, and Chavez would need to be slightly reconfigured, along with that southbound ramp up to Lamar. Definitely a tight fit, but should be doable.

I looked at Butler shores fields first, and there's no way to fit anything in there without taking out the condos or altering the shoreline. Neither of which will ever happen.

For the CVC, the ballpark itself could be sunk below grade similar to how Detroit's Comerica Park is, although I'm not sure how wise that would be with the river close by. It would definitely make for some interesting seating configurations either way.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
I think it's close. Tried to be as accurate as I could with my crude mashup and using Google Maps (that's Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark for the non baseball fans). The Amtrak station would most likely need to be moved next door behind Austin Pets Alive, and Chavez would need to be slightly reconfigured, along with that southbound ramp up to Lamar. Definitely a tight fit, but should be doable.

I looked at Butler shores fields first, and there's no way to fit anything in there without taking out the condos or altering the shoreline. Neither of which will ever happen.

For the CVC, the ballpark itself could be sunk below grade similar to how Detroit's Comerica Park is, although I'm not sure how wise that would be with the river close by. It would definitely make for some interesting seating configurations either way.
Would love to see how a stadium looks at the Statesman site. That would be ideal but ain't happening.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 3:50 PM
World Traveler

Re: CVC, doesn't that one go to Lou Neff Point? To zrx999's point, I'm not sure we could sink it enough to make that one work.

Either way, awesome job with the render - super cool to dream. I recall that being one of the sites that we were toying around with a soccer stadium when we were throwing spaghetti at the wall on the forum, but that CVC likely would have made for a corner of the stands to be cut off or something anyway - same issue.

Since we're just dreaming here, what about Guerrero Park? Space could work - parking could "work" but wouldn't be fun, and it likely wouldn't have a *direct* transit connection, though the Blue Line would be relatively close (would require shuttles or a decent walk).

Other locations, aside from the Domain:
-Lakeline Station adjacent, which I mentioned above
-Stateman site (not happening)
-Riverside/Pleasant Valley (would require demolishing a lot)
-Somewhere along the future Green Line? - lots of potential near 290 and 130
-Round Rock / Hutto (likely too close to Dell Diamond, even if not the same league)

What other crazy ideas can we throw out there?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
My crazy idea. An artificial island expanding the little island across from Peace point. New bridges N/S for pedestrian/bike/transit only access.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
West side of Airport Blvd just south of 290. That area is just begging for more urbanization. Assemble those properties and add a red line stop there.

East Riverside. There is likely some room out further by Ben White. Plus, rail will eventually (hopefully) go through there.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 2:39 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin