HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
https://www.ngnews.ca/news/local/twi...n-2020-401995/
Land-clearing has been underway since November 2019.
repost from Atlantic Highway Thread

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
repost from Atlantic Highway Thread
That link leads to a "Page Not Found" error.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 11:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Darn it why does it always happen...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...175670&page=60 #1182

I’m on my phone right now. Funny enough, if I’m to access it directly from the Atlantic Highway Thread, the link works...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Darn it why does it always happen...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...175670&page=60 #1182

I’m on my phone right now. Funny enough, if I’m to access it directly from the Atlantic Highway Thread, the link works...
This link worked but that's because it didn't get chopped up. Compare the two links and you'll see what I mean.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:47 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
This link worked but that's because it didn't get chopped up. Compare the two links and you'll see what I mean.
You’re right. The one in this thread only has ... instead of the actual website.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:54 AM

Quote:
You’re right. The one in this thread only has ... instead of the actual website.
Concerning the article itself, why would it take four years to twin just 38 km of highway? That seems like a long time especially when no interchanges are being built. Even with interchanges it would be a long time.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 1:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Concerning the article itself, why would it take four years to twin just 38 km of highway? That seems like a long time especially when no interchanges are being built. Even with interchanges it would be a long time.
Technically, the interchange at James River needs to be modified because the freeway will branch off from there and go south of the mountains. Other than that, it’s a good question why it takes longer than 20 months (time taken to build Cobequid Pass). Maybe things just got stricter.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
This is par for the course in NS.

The 101 to the Valley from Halifax has been under slow plodding progressive construction since I lived in Halifax in the 1980s. They still haven't divided the highway completely to Kentville, and the whole section of the bypass around Windsor still has to be done.

Nova Scotia is even slower at dividing it's highways than Quebec is dividing the A-85 to the NB border..........

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The 101 to the Valley from Halifax has been under slow plodding progressive construction since I lived in Halifax in the 1980s. They still haven't divided the highway completely to Kentville, and the whole section of the bypass around Windsor still has to be done.

Nova Scotia is even slower at dividing it's highways than Quebec is dividing the A-85 to the NB border..........
It makes me wonder how people managed to build 45 km of Cobequid Pass in 20 months. This must have involved more than just political will. This was some sort of engineering marvel.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:02 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NB have a very good highway system? If that's the case why aren't the citizens of NS demanding the same?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:05 AM

Quote:
It makes me wonder how people managed to build 45 km of Cobequid Pass in 20 months. This must have involved more than just political will. This was some sort of engineering marvel.
The article you linked to indicated that this would be a P3 project. For a basic project like this a P3 consortium should be able to get it done in 18 months easily.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:33 AM

Is this going to be a toll road? If not, that probably explains why the Cobequid Pass would have been built so quickly in comparison. Same as the original 403 through Oakville and Burlington in Ontario. Couldn't get that built for anything, but as soon as they decided to call it the 407 and toll it, boom, done lol. If the government is going to spend money to make money, they can do things a lot quicker.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Is this going to be a toll road? If not, that probably explains why the Cobequid Pass would have been built so quickly in comparison. Same as the original 403 through Oakville and Burlington in Ontario. Couldn't get that built for anything, but as soon as they decided to call it the 407 and toll it, boom, done lol. If the government is going to spend money to make money, they can do things a lot quicker.
That explains why Regina Bypass, another P3 project, took quite some time.
407 Extension and 418, being tolled highways, took 3 years though. (I remember the first phase of extension, which also included 412, opened to traffic in 2016.)

And, no, the new 104 won’t be twinned. In fact, “the majority” of people rejected the toll option when N.S. Liberal government had a province-wide survey about it back in 2017. Remember?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Technically, the interchange at James River needs to be modified because the freeway will branch off from there and go south of the mountains...….
Besides the changes to the existing interchange at James River...there will be a totally new interchange #29 at Barneys River Station where the new alignment takes-off to bypass Marshy Hope.

There's also 2 new overpasses required over Trunk 4 at a couple of locations and at two other roads...... and if it like other twinning projects in the province.....the existing 50 year old adjacent overpasses will probably be replaced at the same time. There is also James River to be crossed.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 10:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't NB have a very good highway system? If that's the case why aren't the citizens of NS demanding the same?
Is there really a significant difference between the two provinces?

If you go along the TCH in NB it's twinned and Moncton-SJ is twinned. SJ-Fredericton isn't twinned, nor are the highways out to areas like Miramichi.

The route to the Annapolis Valley isn't a major corridor in NS and Windsor is a town with under 4,000 people. There's one main corridor, running from the NB border to Halifax. When you include the extra bits of twinned or divided highway that covers most of the population of the province. Most of the rural highways being slowly improved probably don't carry much traffic, and the argument to improve them seems mostly to come down to older infrastructure not being up to modern design standards. I don't think there is any province in Canada where all of the small towns of 10,000-50,000 people are all connected up with twinned highways.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

If you go along the TCH in NB it's twinned and Moncton-SJ is twinned. SJ-Fredericton isn't twinned, nor are the highways out to areas like Miramichi.

The route to the Annapolis Valley isn't a major corridor in NS and Windsor is a town with under 4,000 people. There's one main corridor, running from the NB border to Halifax. When you include the extra bits of twinned or divided highway that covers most of the population of the province. Most of the rural highways being slowly improved probably don't carry much traffic, and the argument to improve them seems mostly to come down to older infrastructure not being up to modern design standards. I don't think there is any province in Canada where all of the small towns of 10,000-50,000 people are all connected up with twinned highways.
Also, Nova Scotia has a lot of Super-2 highways - look at how the 101 and 103 parallel Trunk 1 and 3 respectively, but allow much higher speeds with fewer intersections. Sure, they're not divided, but spending lots of money for relatively few kilometers of divided highway at the cost of more kilometres of Super-2 is a consideration the government has to make.

I think Nova Scotia is better with more of the latter if they have to spend the dollars.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

- Highway 2 in NB is twinned it's entire length, from QC to NS, all 500 km of it
- Highway 1 in NB is twinned it's entire length, from ME to Petitcodiac (junction rte.2), all 225 km of it.
- Highway 11/15 is twinned from Riverview, around Moncton, to Shediac, a distance of about 40 km.
- Highway 7 from Saint John to Oromocto (junction rte 2) is partially twinned, probably about 30 km.

There is about 800 km of divided highway in NB. This is easily double the amount of divided highway in NS.

Quote:
Highway 101 to the valley is most definitely a major highway in NS. Windsor is just a small town along the way. The main population centre in the northern part of the valley is Kentville/New Minas/Wolfville, combined having a population in the vicinity of 30-40,000. There are 100,000 people in the valley. I've driven that road enough times to know that twinning is absolutely necessary. It is the lifeline for the valley.

Same goes for Highway 103 along the south shore. It isn't quite as busy as the 101 (except in the summer tourism season), but the alternative (the meandering coastal Highway 3) is not an option if you want to get into Halifax in an expeditious manner. The 103 needs to be divided to Bridgewater.

And of course the TCH 104 peters out halfway between New Glasgow & Antigonish, but thankfully twinning here is progressing at a relatively expedited pace (for NS), and should be open in 4-5 years. This will just leave the final 200 km to Sydney in Cape Breton to complete the network. Knowing NS, this should be finished sometime around 2075............

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

at least not 2300 like TCH through Northern Ontario

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:15 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
- Highway 2 in NB is twinned it's entire length, from QC to NS, all 500 km of it
- Highway 1 in NB is twinned it's entire length, from ME to Petitcodiac (junction rte.2), all 225 km of it.
- Highway 11/15 is twinned from Riverview, around Moncton, to Shediac, a distance of about 40 km.
- Highway 7 from Saint John to Oromocto (junction rte 2) is partially twinned, probably about 30 km.

There is about 800 km of divided highway in NB. This is easily double the amount of divided highway in NS.

Highway 101 to the valley is most definitely a major highway in NS. Windsor is just a small town along the way. The main population centre in the northern part of the valley is Kentville/New Minas/Wolfville, combined having a population in the vicinity of 30-40,000. There are 100,000 people in the valley. I've driven that road enough times to know that twinning is absolutely necessary. It is the lifeline for the valley.

Same goes for Highway 103 along the south shore. It isn't quite as busy as the 101 (except in the summer tourism season), but the alternative (the meandering coastal Highway 3) is not an option if you want to get into Halifax in an expeditious manner. The 103 needs to be divided to Bridgewater.

And of course the TCH 104 peters out halfway between New Glasgow & Antigonish, but thankfully twinning here is progressing at a relatively expedited pace (for NS), and should be open in 4-5 years. This will just leave the final 200 km to Sydney in Cape Breton to complete the network. Knowing NS, this should be finished sometime around 2075............
Are there good maps indicating what's twinned, what's not, and what's planned in various provinces? I know NS well enough to know what sections you're talking about but maps would help for others and other provinces. I've looked online with next to no luck.

And I agree that NB is further along than NS when it comes to twinning highways. NB does have NS/PEI traffic heading to Quebec in addition to its own so that does factor in somewhat. NB highways connect to the rest of Canada/US while NS highways like the one heading from Halifax to Yarmouth are strictly local.

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 25, 2020 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:23 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

It’s disappointing the TCH is not numbered as #1 from coast to coast. You would still have TCH #16 branch off north in Manitoba and you could have some multiple routes in the east as well but my OCD wants at least one complete route from coast to coast numbered as #1.
Do they even use the green signage with the maple leaf in the east ?
Man I wish we had a properly funded national network of highways with a baseline standard.
End of my rant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada