HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:40 AM

Behringer Harvard begins construction on luxe Oak Lawn apartments

Quote:
By Candace Carlisle, Staff Writer
Date: Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Addison-based Behringer Harvard announced Tuesday it has begun construction on a new Oak Lawn luxury apartment community near the intersection of Maple and Oak Lawn avenues in Dallas.

The apartment community at 4110 Fairmount will address an unmet market demand from young professionals for luxury apartments near Dallas' central business district, said Mark Alfieri, COO of Behringer Harvard Multifamily REIT I Inc.

Dallas-based Trammell Crow Residential is the developer. An affiliate of Trammell Crow Residential is the project's general contractor.

The four-story apartment community will sit on 4.6 acres, which includes a site that will exist after razing 1960s-style housing at 2607 Throckmorton St. It also includes 23 three-story town homes, with two-car parking garages.

The apartment amenities include stain
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...struction.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 5:08 PM

With Downtown Dallas project Houston builder is hammering down sales

InTown Homes' townhouses under construction in Downtown Dallas.

By Steve Brown, DMN, 10-10-12

A Houston builder that’s been constructing townhouses near Downtown Dallas’ Farmers Market is landing a string of sales with its next phase.

InTown Homes has been building its townhouses on the southeast side of Downtown since 2010. The developer has now started its largest project yet – a 108-unit residential community at Cesar Chavez Boulevard and Marillia Street.

The new units will begin in price at over $300,000.

“We were excited to break ground four to five weeks ago on the first seven homes –of which all are sold,” says sales manager Dana Green. “And last week we broke ground on the next five townhomes, of which all are sold.

“Within weeks we will start the next six homes,” Green said. “We could not be more thrilled to be in such a vibrant area of Downtown and our buyers are just as excited as we are.”

The 3-story homes will have garages in the rear and rooftop decks.

InTown Homes also has projects underway in Oak Lawn.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/2012/10/houston-builder-is-hammering-down-sales-with-downtown-dallas-project.html/"]http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/20...-project.html/[/URL]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 6:52 PM
high five!

West End preservation panel approves Fairfield Residential plans for former MKT depot site

ROBERT WILONSKY
Editor
rwilonsky@dallasnews.com
Published: 11 October 2012 09:41 AM

For six years there’s been a gaping hole at Ross Avenue and Houston Street, which had been the site of the historic Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad depot till TCI West End Inc. illegally razed the structure only to find itself on the losing end of a court battle with the city of Dallas. But two months back there were signs of life: An applicant had come before the Landmark Commission’s Central Business District/West End Task Force with plans to build a five-story apartment building and six-story parking garage on the vacant lot.

At the time we’d asked for an early look-see at the development; and at the time the developer, Fairfield Residential, said they’d rather wait till all the details were sorted out. Because building in the West End Historic District is no easy feat, given the fact that anything new constructed there has to look like something old, which is to say it has to look like it belongs in a “turn-of-the-century red brick warehouse district of one- to six-story structures oriented to nearby railroad yards, including governmental, office and light industrial structures representing low-scale, urban, mercantile history of late 19th century Dallas.”

And that ain’t easy, especially when you’re planning on building something as mammoth as Fairfield’s proposed development. Finally, though, Fairfield returned to the task force yesterday with the renderings you see below, which received the blessings of the task force. Which means: Next stop, Landmark Commission; then, the city council. But no need to wait to see how the thing’s supposed to look.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/r...depot-site.ece

Last edited by maconahey; Oct 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Nice so see some of those parking lots eaten up, but I'd like to see some high or mid-rises in the West End to extend that skyline west. Is that area zoned with low height limits?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Nice so see some of those parking lots eaten up, but I'd like to see some high or mid-rises in the West End to extend that skyline west. Is that area zoned with low height limits?
The highest allowable spot in the city is a lot just to the east of the West End, but on that side I imagine there are more strict height limits for aesthetic reasons. Would look weird as well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:01 PM
high five!

Uptown project thinks out of the box with eye-catching design and neighborhood retail space
By STEVE BROWN Real Estate Editor stevebrown@dallasnews.com
Published: 11 October 2012 08:45 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...#ssStory745157

To lure top-of-the-market business tenants to its planned Uptown office tower, the folks at Crescent Real Estate Holdings needed something better than just another out-of-the-box building.

What architect Pelli Clarke Pelli came up with is a block of one-of-a-kind structures that will be a dramatic addition to the Dallas urban district.

“We didn’t want it to look like just another suburban building that you’d plopped down in Uptown,” said Crescent CEO John Goff. “Rectangles are boring, and we have a building that is much more interesting.”

There’s not much chance Crescent’s proposed project would be mistaken for anything sprouting along the Dallas North Tollway.

The 20-story office tower design juts from the corner of McKinney Avenue and Olive Street like a soaring glass sail or the prow of a ship.

The high-rise portion of the project will slant nine degrees over the lower levels of shops, restaurants and a parking garage that will stretch down Olive across from the Ritz-Carlton.

The two-level retail and restaurant complex — planned to be the one of the largest in the neighborhood — will have a sinuous wall of glass facing a new street-side park.

“It will have a big impact,” Goff said. “We want it to be alive and bring energy to the street.”

Goff describes the development as “sexy, elegant and yet very functional.”

The more than $200 million project will be the most elaborate such development built in Uptown since the Crescent project went up in the 1980s.

You couldn’t find two buildings that are more different.

While Crescent architect Philip Johnson dipped into the past for inspiration, Cesar Pelli and his team were looking to the future.
“Buildings have changed, and the technology has improved dramatically,” said Crescent senior vice president Joseph Pitchford. “This will be a more contemporary expression than you see in Uptown.”

Most of the building will be clad in glass and metal. But plans also call for a multilevel parking structure covered in masonry panels that will be heavily landscaped.

The top floor of the garage will be used for a park and will have access to a fitness center.

Uptown residents will be most interested in the lower-level retail pavilion, which is to have at least three restaurants, shops and a gourmet food market.

McKinney Avenue and Olive Street
3.1-acre tract
20 stories, 470,000 square feet of office space
60,000 square feet of retail in two stories
Construction starts 2013, completion 2015
Architect Pelli Clarke Pelli of New Haven, Conn.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 4:36 PM

I wonder why they went to the trouble to get a height variance for this project if it was only going to be 20 stories. Perhaps they had since scaled back the project's scope, or perhaps they do eventually intend to include the currently scrapped condo aspect of the project, and that tower will be the possible 375 ft.

In any case, I really like this project/building and think it will energize the entire area. I think everyone had very big expectations for the building itself, and while it may not be the iconic structure a lot of people were hoping for, I still like it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
I wonder why they went to the trouble to get a height variance for this project if it was only going to be 20 stories. Perhaps they had since scaled back the project's scope, or perhaps they do eventually intend to include the currently scrapped condo aspect of the project, and that tower will be the possible 375 ft.

In any case, I really like this project/building and think it will energize the entire area. I think everyone had very big expectations for the building itself, and while it may not be the iconic structure a lot of people were hoping for, I still like it.
Don't know if you read Dallasmetropolis, but a lot of the drama can be deduced by reading this building's thread and others around it. In summary, there are some fierce residential associations in that vicinity. Keep in mind, that this is a pretty large block. No way that tower takes up the whole thing.

As for the structure, it may not be tall but the structures is very unique and certainly unlike anything in Dallas or maybe Texas for that matter. Would love to see a model or 3d rendering just to study how the shape comes together. I would guess if they ever do the condo project(if they can get past the folks at 1999 McKinney) I would guess it will play off of that shape. I would bet it would sell quickly based off the surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
Don't know if you read Dallasmetropolis, but a lot of the drama can be deduced by reading this building's thread and others around it. In summary, there are some fierce residential associations in that vicinity. Keep in mind, that this is a pretty large block. No way that tower takes up the whole thing.

As for the structure, it may not be tall but the structures is very unique and certainly unlike anything in Dallas or maybe Texas for that matter. Would love to see a model or 3d rendering just to study how the shape comes together. I would guess if they ever do the condo project(if they can get past the folks at 1999 McKinney) I would guess it will play off of that shape. I would bet it would sell quickly based off the surrounding buildings.
Yeah I do follow Dallasmetropolis - I'm eburress there too. And yes, I'm very well acquainted with 1999 McKinney and all his whiny BS! hahaha

I just read in Steve Brown's column about how there will be a park component to this project, so the park and retail could actually be occupying the rest of the project site.

In any case, again, I like the building and I think seeing it from more angles will bring a lot of people around.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post

Reminds me of an all glass 2727 Kirby.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 1:37 AM

maybe if 2727 Kirby had a curvy ground floor and garage, and each corner at the top was a different height, with one a few storied taller than the others. Look at it closely, there are some weird angles and setbacks. Definitely unique. If it was 200 ft taller everyone would think it was incredible.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Reminds me of an all glass 2727 Kirby.
what is 2727 Kirby?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTU Arch View Post
what is 2727 Kirby?
It's one of Houston newest luxury condominiums that was built in 2009. It rises 30st off of Westminster.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2012, 9:09 PM

Dallas is on fire with all these Office high rise projects and with 2013 around the corner who knows what other projects developers have lined up in Dallas. Also has anyone heard about the Wall-E project?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Dallas is on fire with all these Office high rise projects and with 2013 around the corner who knows what other projects developers have lined up in Dallas. Also has anyone heard about the Wall-E project?
I just figured that Wall-E, whatever it was, slowly died. Speaking of dying, whatever happened to the Texas idea that everything here is bigger? Azerbaijan is constructing more impressive buildings than any Texas city. I guess, for better or worse, we stick to what the market (or 1999 Mckinney) dictates.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 2:27 AM

There is a lot of change going on in the core. Very cool projects I might add, but how are the renovations of the buildings in downtown going? The Dallas Grand, 1600 Pacific, Elm Place, Tower Petroleum, the Atmos complex, Joule expansion, the Mercantile Continental, Butler Bros, or others. Are there any updates because it's the older buildings I want utilized.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 5:10 AM

When in doubt call a professional...

I think it's a very fine component to the crazy quilt, even utility aside. It seems to favor a more "Harwood" than "Victory" aesthetic which is fitting counterpoint to the pastiche of styles surrounding it. With so much outdoor space it's literally an island amidst the storm of streets surrounding it. A true hub. I like it very much.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywallsareboring View Post
I just figured that Wall-E, whatever it was, slowly died. Speaking of dying, whatever happened to the Texas idea that everything here is bigger? Azerbaijan is constructing more impressive buildings than any Texas city. I guess, for better or worse, we stick to what the market (or 1999 Mckinney) dictates.
That's to bad, I was looking forward to seeing what this project was about. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:55 PM
high five!

Hilton Hotel, residences, retail planned for 500 S. Ervay in dowtown Dallas

RUDOLPH BUSH
Staff Writer
rbush@dallasnews.com
Published: 18 October 2012 02:35 PM

The massive old Butler Bros building at 500 S. Ervay could become the latest piece of downtown Dallas’ renaissance.

After years of decline and decay, a groundbreaking is set for Oct. 24 to restore the building and convert it into a 200-room Hilton Hotel along with 250 residential units and 21,000 square feet of retail, according to a notice from Merriman Architects.

Few details were immediately available on the plan other than it is being put forward by the building’s owner, development group Alterra.

If the plan comes to fruition, it would mark a major turnaround for the eastern edge of downtown and a huge boost for the central city in general.

The Butler Brothers building was once an elegant brick-faced warehouse that has become a fake-stucco eyesore. Its sheer size has made it a difficult property to restore.

As Robert Wilonsky reported last year, many plans have come and gone to turn the building into something useful – and hopefully beautiful – for downtown. But Robert pretty much nailed this plan in an item from January.

And things appear to be fairly far along, now.

Just Tuesday, I asked Downtown Dallas guru John Crawford about the building’s future. Crawford told me things were turning and to get back to him soon.

Then, today, this hit the mailbox. Can’t wait.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...own-dallas.ece

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:02 PM

That's awesome, I for one am glad to see something to come out of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations