HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:30 AM

I don't want to harp on investment in north STL but this is just utterly insane to me.

Tore up all that grid, all that infrastructure just to build an exurban style office park in the middle of the city in 2019...

Why couldn't this have been a high-rise downtown? Or even just a more compact campus somewhere else in the city? There is no way that doing this is less expensive. Who made this planning decision? And it's going to take over half a decade to finish?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:46 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I don't want to harp on investment in north STL but this is just utterly insane to me.

Tore up all that grid, all that infrastructure just to build an exurban style office park in the middle of the city in 2019...

Why couldn't this have been a high-rise downtown? Or even just a more compact campus somewhere else in the city? There is no way that doing this is less expensive. Who made this planning decision? And it's going to take over half a decade to finish?
it's a high-security government intelligence facility, and will now likely involve a new HQ for the FBI as well. the setbacks were non-negotiable. take a look at the NGA East counterpart in northern VA. building a high-rise somewhere else in the city just wasn't an option. you could argue that it's more appropriate for the suburbs, but the institution has been in St. Louis city since 1952 and wanted to maintain proximity to partner institutions like Washington University at the western edge of the city and Scott Air Force Base in southern IL. IL was fighting to get it moved across the river, which would have been a not-insignificant hit to the city's earnings tax revenue, as would a move to the county.

the loss of grid isn't ideal, but there's no shortage of empty grid in north St. Louis and about half of the site's grid had already been torn up (also in 1952) when the Pruitt-Igoe housing complex was constructed.

a few homes in the footprint were taken through eminent domain but the majority of the handful of homeowners in the footprint accepted fair compensation. most of the remaining buildings were in very poor condition. one historic home was moved. the saddest loss, in my opinion, was that of the Buster Brown Shoe Bldg. it's demolition seemed completely unnecessary as it wasn't even in the NGA footprint:

Old Posted Dec 1, 2019, 11:07 PM
Proud Homer!

The massive field behind the original St. Louis Zoo Primate House, which was built in 1925, will see 35,000 square foot transformation. $11.5 million will be spent adding an outdoor habitat onto the house. And it will be more than just an outdoor space for the animals to play in. This will put human and primate about as close together as has ever been done, and the experience will get underway right at the entrance.

**More Renderings and Video**

Last edited by Arch City; Dec 1, 2019 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:00 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Boland Place progress pics by Framer over at urbanstl.com: link

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:58 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

me: i hate american super-surveillance

also me: man we should really do something with the pruitt-igoe wreckage

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 10:14 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ yeah, i cringed for a while, too, but this is the type of anchor institution that the north side needs to get the ball rolling. barring a very unlikely population explosion, there's just no other way it will be rebuilt.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:32 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Mixed use hotel, apartments, and retail planned at Delmar and 170 in U. City

images from U. City Planning Commission Agenda, linked here

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:16 AM
Proud Homer!

Topping out ceremony 12/04/19. Building is 50% leased.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 6:37 PM
Posh

I wonder if the mirror glass on that building will ever create too much glare for batters at certain times of the day?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:01 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

some smaller rehab and infill projects in Forest Park Southeast

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:16 AM
Proud Homer!

Dirt is being moved for the forthcoming addition to St. Louis' CORTEX Innovation District, Gateway Plaza. This 10-story (9 leaseable) badboy is moving along pretty fast since its announcement.

*Leasing Brochure with additional renderings*

Last edited by Arch City; Dec 8, 2019 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 5:18 AM
Proud Homer!

CORTEX Aloft, Opening Late Spring 2020

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 12:16 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

150 apartments and ground floor retail proposed for 310 DeBaliviere
link to Preservation Board Agenda

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 12:25 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

Forsyth Pointe in Clayton gets a redesign, more than doubles in size

More info at urbanstl: link

More info at cityscene-stl: link

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 12:29 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

New life for the Landing: Investors outline ambitious plans to add apartments and businesses

link to article in STLToday: https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...7d99dcac4.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:28 PM

I think very little of that will come to fruition, but it's a cool vision.

Also, my god, next time just post a snippet of the linked article and not the ENTIRE thing like that.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 11:31 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ Hi. I'll post whatever the f*ck I want. If you want it posted differently, then be my guest. If you don't want to read it, then don't read it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:35 AM

Wow, it was a simple suggestion, but then here you go trying to be all "internet tough guy." Keep up the good work and don't blow a gasket.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:51 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

It was a simple suggestion presented in a condescending way. Maybe also consider that no suggestion was needed—it's one out of five billion fucking posts on an internet forum.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations