HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Strawman.

The Centre of the Arts has multiple uses. The Globe does not.
The new Globe will have the main theatre with year-round productions, the acting school as a training/educational component and the rentable theatre space on the bottom level that any organization could rent at cost (community groups, fringe space, downtown events). Looks to me like the building will have many uses.

And PS. Since this is a construction forum (that used to more than not get excited about building projects), I find it odd that we finally have some news of ONE project that isn’t wrapped in the drama at Wascana Centre, that with the slump in the construction boom and includes restoration as a key component to an important historical building and will add to downtown and Regina to bring out the negative comments against an arts project which a non profit organization from Regina has been trying to secure funding for at least a decade.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 5:24 AM

Yes it will personally benefit you and your friends. I get why you like it. But it's supporting one group.

You are acting as if the government money pot is unlimited. The idea that one drama company in an old building getting a massive subsidy mandates everyone's approval is absurd. This is a construction forum, not a construction cheerleading forum.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:25 PM

Quote:
This is a construction forum, not a construction cheerleading forum.
And not a political forum. Just stick to the facts. Discuss the politics on /r/regina on Reddit, or somewhere else.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
And not a political forum. Just stick to the facts. Discuss the politics on /r/regina on Reddit, or somewhere else.
I don't think he was discussing politics. He's right. This isn't a place where everyone is required to be happy with any and all construction. Do you not remember the Conexus and Brandt discussions here? Now that got political.

I sort of agree that $29M is a lot of money for basically one small organization.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
I sort of agree that $29M is a lot of money for basically one small organization.
Those discussions almost made me give up on this thread.

$29 million is a lot for one organization, but that is absolutely a political discussion. To me, this thread is about what is happening, not who is paying for it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Those discussions almost made me give up on this thread.

$29 million is a lot for one organization, but that is absolutely a political discussion. To me, this thread is about what is happening, not who is paying for it.
It's a gov't grant from the gov't to fix a building. How is that not open to discussion? I'm a little confused. BD wasn't slamming the politics of it anyway. His complaint had nothing to do with favouring one politician over the other. It was partisan free from what I read.

Also, I agree those Conexus and Brandt discussions were quite frustrating to read.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:26 PM
Pride is our downfall

Quote:
It's a gov't grant from the gov't to fix a building. How is that not open to discussion? I'm a little confused. BD wasn't slamming the politics of it anyway. His complaint had nothing to do with favouring one politician over the other. It was partisan free from what I read.

Also, I agree those Conexus and Brandt discussions were quite frustrating to read.
It is frustrating to have your beliefs challenged isn’t it? I would have figured you would be used to it by now though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
It is frustrating to have your beliefs challenged isn’t it? I would have figured you would be used to it by now though.
Your stalking is somewhat weird at this point. I remember you from riderfans and let's just say stability wasn't your strong point. I hope you find the help you need.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:17 AM
Pride is our downfall

Quote:
Your stalking is somewhat weird at this point. I remember you from riderfans and let's just say stability wasn't your strong point. I hope you find the help you need.
Projection was always one of your strongest characteristics.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The performers and patrons of the Globe and well-off white people.

$26 million is an offensively large number to cater to that privileged demographic when we could be spending the money on pools, safe-injection sites, first nations culture, mental health or any other worthy thing.

I am fine with funding the arts, but it should be with much smaller one-time grants of something like $1M.

The Globe could build themselves a purpose-built theatre downtown for like a third of that price. It's offensive.
I'm not sure who you think is performing there, but they aren't exactly A-list Hollywood actors pulling in even 5 figures for any performance run.

Also, my mom is a season ticket holder; she lives off her OAS and a part time job she maintains at age 77. Hardly privileged.

I'm not saying the 26 million is a good use of that money.

The same money might get more bang for its buck if it were used to rebuild the 2 outdoor Regina pools. However, that funding is mired in... politics.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
The same money might get more bang for its buck if it were used to rebuild the 2 outdoor Regina pools. However, that funding is mired in... politics.
Doubtful, there are multiple pools in the city and only one proper theatre in the round. In fact, its one of very few in Canada.

Smaller grants over time would have been fine BH2 but its been neglected for 100 years. It has some heritage value. I have no problem with the decision at all, personally.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 11:46 PM

I didn't say that literally every person in the Globe is rich, but in general I'm completely correct about the patronage. It's a select group that should privately fundraise.

But there'a a much more relevant heritage building that could have really used the $26M: the Saskatchewan Science Centre. It attracts families, is open more often and is generally a better cause.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that literally every person in the Globe is rich, but in general I'm completely correct about the patronage. It's a select group that should privately fundraise.

But there'a a much more relevant heritage building that could have really used the $26M: the Saskatchewan Science Centre. It attracts families, is open more often and is generally a better cause.

In general, you express your opinion as fact. Please provide your reference for the demographics of the Globe Theatre for 2018-2019 season.

If fundraising was a slam dunk, it would have been done already. That's how we get a 113 year old building that has fallen into disrepair.

We can debate which specific heritage buildings are worthy of this funding. I disagree that the SSC is a higher priority at this juncture. Its in better shape and already does an excellent job serving its purpose as is.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:07 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Strawman.

The Centre of the Arts has multiple uses. The Globe does not.
Is it all that different though? The Center of the Arts generally has a higher price point for its events than the Globe. Is a concert by touring Canadian musicians, musicals performed by international casts, the RSO, or Drag Queens come October more worthy of a publicly funded amphitheatre than the Globe?

If anything is "rich" and "white" it's the RSO, or the touring Mamma Mia productions (to be fair, that happens at both), or Johnny Reid's seemingly annual Christmas tour, or the Nutcracker Ballet, etc.

Yes, there are other spaces in the Centre used for other purposes, but without the main amphitheatre, the structure wouldn't exist. And at that point, wouldn't the other warehouse-like convention spaces in the city (also largely government financed except for the hotels) serve the same purposes? I guess Telemiracle does happen once every 2 years though (except the equivalent venue in Saskatoon had similar funding, so make that annual for the Saskatchewan taxpayer). Or are we picking and choosing at this point to suit our own argumentative purposes?

If we didn't have the Centre of the Arts (funded by government decades ago), would you be rallying against it today using the same reasons you're using to oppose the Globe theatre maintenance/improvements?

I see it as less of a strawman argument and more of a comparative example that done decades ago is now seen as "acceptable" because it was done so far in the past that it's difficult to think of Regina without a similar venue (and back then it was an embarrassment that it took so long).

Last edited by Nathan; Aug 28, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:27 PM

I will say this, governments get very little push back when they fund fine arts facilities. The Globe will have over 90% of its renos funded by government. Compare that to the stadium which had plenty of push back with no federal dollars and 25% provincial funding. The Globe should also maybe have at very least a 'theatre improvement fee' sort of like the Riders.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 1:30 PM

There's a thread on Regina's subreddit discussing rumours of Cactus Club coming to Regina. Has anyone here heard anything?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
There's a thread on Regina's subreddit discussing rumours of Cactus Club coming to Regina. Has anyone here heard anything?
H&M took about 5 years after it first hit Reddit and Olive Garden probably 10 years so don't get too excited.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:54 PM

Any update on the Lakeshore Redevelopment by Harvard Developments? On hold or cancelled?

http://harvard.ca/news/item/?n=35

Also any update on the Conexus College Avenue construction progress and the renovations for the new Cooperators Office Tower Location on Albert Street?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Any update on the Lakeshore Redevelopment by Harvard Developments? On hold or cancelled?

http://harvard.ca/news/item/?n=35

Also any update on the Conexus College Avenue construction progress and the renovations for the new Cooperators Office Tower Location on Albert Street?
Most of the glazing is in place on the Conexus building. Several people have commented that it looks unobtrusive and I would agree. I will try to get a pic.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
I haven't heard anything but I'd be highly skeptical. If they did come to Regina it would be foolish to go to Rochdale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan