HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
That's good news. I wonder if the usual people will come out and protest, considering this location isn't in a residential area. Their previous complaints were always couched on "safety" instead of the real issue (racism), claiming that a mosque would bring high levels of traffic. Odd, as these same people don't complain about churches or schools.

So good news for the city and it's Sunni Muslim population.
Actually there are residences on 2 sides of the property. It is a large parcel so they should be able to have significant onsite parking. remember the Vic Ave frontage is a Shell brownfield.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:15 PM

I worry about this location. It's in a highly visible location, in a a fairly bad part of town. It will be a prime target for Regina's racist trash.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That's good news. I wonder if the usual people will come out and protest, considering this location isn't in a residential area. Their previous complaints were always couched on "safety" instead of the real issue (racism), claiming that a mosque would bring high levels of traffic. Odd, as these same people don't complain about churches or schools.

So good news for the city and it's Sunni Muslim population.
I live in the neighbourhood where there was opposition to the prayer hall. Yes, there were legitimate concerns about traffic as the hall required rezoning and the very small parking lot at that location is already quite busy. That space was not designated for that use. This is a different situation as there is no re-zoning required from city council.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I worry about this location. It's in a highly visible location, in a a fairly bad part of town. It will be a prime target for Regina's racist trash.
I believe there are about 8 Mosques in Regina. I do not recall any issues.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I believe there are about 8 Mosques in Regina. I do not recall any issues.
I hope not. In the age of Trump and all these other racist freaks that are coming out of the woodwork, it makes me worry. Diversity only makes us stronger! Love not hate!!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:54 PM

Every tree and shrub in front of the Leader Post Building has been cut down. WTF?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.44740...2!8i6656?hl=en

I am bit concerned a parking lot will soon replace the grass and trees.

Quote:
He said an “amusement” attraction, involving zip-lining and other pursuits, expects to set up where the Leader-Post ran its printing press until January 2016, when the paper started printing at its sister paper, the Saskatoon StarPhoenix.
“There will be a lot of people coming and going,” said Babey

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
I hope not. In the age of Trump and all these other racist freaks that are coming out of the woodwork, it makes me worry. Diversity only makes us stronger! Love not hate!!
chill, all will be ok

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
chill, all will be ok
Easy to say if you are white, and especially male.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They gave millions more than the appraised value.
That... is not accurate.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I wasn't fine with the development in the first place, but now that Brandt is leasing space in their building it is all the more atrocious.
I'm not actually sure where people got the idea the use was designed for Brandt. Some media outlet must have mentioned it but I don't think Brandt ever claimed it was. AFAIK it was always designed for tenants.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Easy to say if you are white, and especially male.
If thats what you think

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:59 PM

I heard from a reliable source that Costco will not be getting a liquor license because they refused to sell at the LB prices. As well, Superstore East is being taken to court over theres because the entry is inside the store vs outside like the cig shop. Not sure why they didn't just put an entrance in.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 12:53 AM

City is doing a focus group on zoning. Developers don't like the idea that garage frontage could be limited. Honestly, I'll be surprised if the developers don't get whatever they want.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...k-our-garages?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
City is doing a focus group on zoning. Developers don't like the idea that garage frontage could be limited. Honestly, I'll be surprised if the developers don't get whatever they want.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...k-our-garages?
The garage bylaw would make sense too from a parking standpoint. Drive to a new neighbourhood and look for a place to park - it's impossible. The space between people's driveways could only fit a motorcycle at best. The small number of spaces able to fit a vehicle are filled with resident's vehicles who don't want to block access to their garage by parking in their driveway.

Limiting a 25-foot lot to a single car garage makes sense.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
The garage bylaw would make sense too from a parking standpoint. Drive to a new neighbourhood and look for a place to park - it's impossible. The space between people's driveways could only fit a motorcycle at best. The small number of spaces able to fit a vehicle are filled with resident's vehicles who don't want to block access to their garage by parking in their driveway.

Limiting a 25-foot lot to a single car garage makes sense.

Or lanes and rear driveways, ideally.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:07 PM
arf

The issue is that the lot sizes and development style are not appropriate to a car culture. There is a distinct disconnect between what we want people to be like and how they actually are. Stop building this way and figure out a way to design stuff properly to work with the concept that every house has 2.3 cars.

It's not rocket science as to why the issue exists. You don't build and suddenly people think "I could take public transit instead of having that second or third car." Not when there is negligible usable transit in the city in the first place.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:16 PM

I'd like to the city tell the developers their street plan needs to include streets that are more than a two cars wide (including the parking lane). I have family in Harbour Landing. One side of the street has sidewalk, the other side does not. Residents park on the street and, especially in winter, the street is hard to get down. Hopefully no one ever needs an ambulance on those tiny roads.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:28 PM
Pride is our downfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
The issue is that the lot sizes and development style are not appropriate to a car culture. There is a distinct disconnect between what we want people to be like and how they actually are. Stop building this way and figure out a way to design stuff properly to work with the concept that every house has 2.3 cars.

It's not rocket science as to why the issue exists. You don't build and suddenly people think "I could take public transit instead of having that second or third car." Not when there is negligible usable transit in the city in the first place.
I often use public transit and though improvements can always be made, I am happy with my experience. I think we need to force people to think long term more often than we do because our shortsighted behavior will end up costing us in the end. We do live in a car culture but it should not be enabled nor should we ignore the autonomous vehicle revolution coming in the next couple decades that will end up taking many vehicles off the road. Progress isn't just about changing our behavior, but adapting to the cultural and economic changes happening with or without us. Its about time our city gets in the forefront of these issues and not lag behind as usual.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:02 PM
arf

Autonomous vehicles don't work well in winter climates where the lines on the road are not clearly visible and the street surface is not clearly visible. How are autonomous vehicles going to deal with our streets for four months of the year when two lanes become a lane and maybe two-thirds on a good day. The day when autonomous vehicles work in Regina is a long way off.

I ride public transit. To work every day, except when clients live off of bus routes or time does not permit when working with multiple clients. Which thankfully isn't very often. I love not having to park and getting to read and relax on the way, but then I am served by two bus routes and live within a distance to work that makes the bus ride no more than fifteen minutes. In that respect I am very much in the minority for access and usability of transit within Regina.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I often use public transit and though improvements can always be made, I am happy with my experience. I think we need to force people to think long term more often than we do because our shortsighted behavior will end up costing us in the end. We do live in a car culture but it should not be enabled nor should we ignore the autonomous vehicle revolution coming in the next couple decades that will end up taking many vehicles off the road. Progress isn't just about changing our behavior, but adapting to the cultural and economic changes happening with or without us. Its about time our city gets in the forefront of these issues and not lag behind as usual.
I wish I was young and naive again...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan