HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 3:40 PM

It's horrible. You need some personal space.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I just can't believe the Feds are going 3x3 foot cubicles. That is like an airline seat space. You would not have room for a tiny desk and chair. I know many workplaces are going to shared space. No cubicles just shared work tables and meeting rooms. No personal spaces.
I was wrong - I said square feet, meant square meters.
- 1.5m2 (4'x4') for those who generally work off-site
- 3.0m2 (5.5'x5.75') minority of their time in the office
- 4.5m2 (7'x7') majority of their time in the office
- 10-18.5m2 (10'x10.5' to 14'x14.5') enclosed offices for executives (Director & up)

Still a decent decrease - typical offices I've seen right now are 7.5m2 (10'x8'). No particular differentiation between folks who are in the office a lot, vs. mobile workers... typical new offices I've seen are 3.0m2. So there will be decent space savings in certain depts with folks going from 7.5m2 to 3.0 (or 1.5).

Max 42" high glass dividers between all office types, except executives... because collaboration!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:05 PM

When will we see the design for the new Conexus head office on College Avenue?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
I was wrong - I said square feet, meant square meters.
- 1.5m2 (4'x4') for those who generally work off-site
- 3.0m2 (5.5'x5.75') minority of their time in the office
- 4.5m2 (7'x7') majority of their time in the office
- 10-18.5m2 (10'x10.5' to 14'x14.5') enclosed offices for executives (Director & up)

Still a decent decrease - typical offices I've seen right now are 7.5m2 (10'x8'). No particular differentiation between folks who are in the office a lot, vs. mobile workers... typical new offices I've seen are 3.0m2. So there will be decent space savings in certain depts with folks going from 7.5m2 to 3.0 (or 1.5).

Max 42" high glass dividers between all office types, except executives... because collaboration!
We moved into a new location in 2014 and we went from individual cubicles to "pods" where a larger space is occupied by usually 4 people. I'd guess that this shared space is approx. 14'x14'. It's actually not too bad as the actual workspaces are in the corners facing away from each other so it's not like we're staring at each other. We also have 54" walls between these pods so it also gives some privacy that way as well.

I thought I would hate it and even though I don'y like it like the individual cubicles we had in the old place, I'm used to it now and it actually works fairly good for collaboration.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
We moved into a new location in 2014 and we went from individual cubicles to "pods" where a larger space is occupied by usually 4 people. I'd guess that this shared space is approx. 14'x14'. It's actually not too bad as the actual workspaces are in the corners facing away from each other so it's not like we're staring at each other. We also have 54" walls between these pods so it also gives some privacy that way as well.

I thought I would hate it and even though I don'y like it like the individual cubicles we had in the old place, I'm used to it now and it actually works fairly good for collaboration.
It's all about context of the work. Highly collaborative/creative roles? Sure - this type of pod typically works well.
Groups that work separately, but with overlapping projects/common customers/same business line? Not all that bad to hear a bit of chatter from coworkers... provides opportunity for context, maybe a chance to work together, or help each other out, etc.

A cluster of people who all work on different virtual teams (i.e. most have vastly difference chain of command/org structure position)? Very little benefit to office design that encourages collaboration. From experience, I know this can have the opposite effect (headphones on all day long to isolate yourself from the constant chatter of people taking tele/videoconferences - on subjects that don't even touch your work - from their open concept office. Even more isolated than if you were in a regular cube next to these people.)

Last edited by Drofmab; Dec 4, 2017 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Your laziness is astounding[/URL]
Let me break this down for you so you can understand. A page of google search results is not the same as a reference. Be accountable for what you state.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
It straight up makes it worse. 63k of new office vacancy makes a difference. If you think that landlord vacancy has no impact on anything you're living in a bubble.
Your use of "worse" is totally subjective. Since the city didn't actually lose a business or tenant, its taking from one column and adding to another according to your formula for vacancy rate. Its an increase of maybe 1.5% over current inventory levels. Pretty insignificant.

Its perhaps "better" because it opens up space in a decent building for new business. It might be the right size at 63k for a variety of tenants.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skphc08 View Post
Your use of "worse" is totally subjective. Since the city didn't actually lose a business or tenant, its taking from one column and adding to another according to your formula for vacancy rate. Its an increase of maybe 1.5% over current inventory levels. Pretty insignificant.

Its perhaps "better" because it opens up space in a decent building for new business. It might be the right size at 63k for a variety of tenants.
It's not bloody subjective. It's market realities.

There's already 290,000 square feet of empty class B office space in Regina. That building would make it 350,000 sq. ft. It would move class b vacancy from 16% to nearly 20% vacant. Having 1/5th of the largest class being vacant is nowhere near good. Moving the downtown vacancy up 1.5% isn't "good" either.

Opening up for a space for a new business would be great if it were 2011 and demand was off the charts again. But right now there is over 600,000 sq. ft of empty space in the city. We don't need new space as nobody's moving here and nobody's expanding.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
It's all about context of the work. Highly collaborative/creative roles? Sure - this type of pod typically works well.
Groups that work separately, but with overlapping projects/common customers/same business line? Not all that bad to hear a bit of chatter from coworkers... provides opportunity for context, maybe a chance to work together, or help each other out, etc.

A cluster of people who all work on different virtual teams (i.e. most have vastly difference chain of command/org structure position)? Very little benefit to office design that encourages collaboration. From experience, I know this can have the opposite effect (headphones on all day long to isolate yourself from the constant chatter of people taking tele/videoconferences - on subjects that don't even touch your work - from their open concept office. Even more isolated than if you were in a regular cube next to these people.)
I've argued and will continue to argue that collaboration is largely a myth. Very few industries truly work collaboratively and the ones that do don't actually need to be clustered 3 feet from each other. Clustering offices together with people on the same team will accomplish basically the same thing. Proximity is fine, pods and cramped open cubical are not. The real problem is that businesses and goverment are looking at the industries where collaboration sort of works (graphic design, video games, etc) and applying it to people who work independently.

The true change that's happening is actually shared tables (like this nightmare) or hotdesking where you don't even get a desk but you can have a locker and choose a new space everyday! God help us all. If my workplace ever tries this I will quit.

The change in smaller office space is related to exactly one thing: money. Less space = less rent. That is the only reason it's happening. Exeuctives have simply been reading the latest change management bullshit and seen the word "collaboration".

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
I've argued and will continue to argue that collaboration is largely a myth. Very few industries truly work collaboratively and the ones that do don't actually need to be clustered 3 feet from each other. Clustering offices together with people on the same team will accomplish basically the same thing. Proximity is fine, pods and cramped open cubical are not. The real problem is that businesses and goverment are looking at the industries where collaboration sort of works (graphic design, video games, etc) and applying it to people who work independently.

The true change that's happening is actually shared tables (like this nightmare) or hotdesking where you don't even get a desk but you can have a locker and choose a new space everyday! God help us all. If my workplace ever tries this I will quit.

The change in smaller office space is related to exactly one thing: money. Less space = less rent. That is the only reason it's happening. Exeuctives have simply been reading the latest change management bullshit and seen the word "collaboration".
Yep I agree with you on this. The other thing these open spaces/shared cubes create is non work 'collaboration'. In other words, people sitting next to each other with no walls to separate them will naturally start talking and socializing and quite often about subjects other than work. I've worked in stand alone cubes and shared spaces and there is way more time wasting talking about personal stuff than there is collaborating about work in shared cubes. Even if you don't participate in the chatter you have to listen to the other three chat about their kids or what happened on the weekend and its a total distraction. But management/executives, the ones in offices claim it is great for collaboration. Total BS.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
But management/executives, the ones in offices claim it is great for collaboration. Total BS.
Super fun in a big org like the feds to watch managers/directors/exec directors/DGs/ADMs/etc react when they see what Workplace 2.0 dictates their office size should be, and it's completely beyond their control. It's up to PWGSC. You've got these leaders who tow the company line about the benefits of collaborative space to their employees without ever bothering to glance at what they're going to be allocated ("I'm a manager - of course I get a 15x15 office with real walls & a door. I obviously need privacy"), and then they see that they get a 7x7 open concept office with 36" walls & lose their sh*t. Even better to watch an executive learn that while they do get walls & a door, the office is usually around 10x10 (you know, only slightly larger than the guys 2-3 levels below them currently have). I've seen execs in this situation spend literally days arguing that they can't be expected to work in such a tiny office... because...uh...they...uh... (and every argument they pull out applies equally to their team members - they host meetings (so do their staff - that's why there are team rooms & boardrooms. Never enough of them, but still); they need privacy (small office doesn't prevent privacy); they need lots of documents at-hand (unlikely. most are electronic, and their staff are more likely to have piles of documents); etc.

There is - of course - a legit argument for enclosed offices for people with staff. Some discussions with staff are not appropriate in an open office, and people figure out pretty quickly that you're having a performance discussion with someone any time you meet in a team room/boardroom.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:13 AM

I was a govt exec in my last job. I had 3 "offices" as I worked in multiple building across the city. 2 were open cubicles in open areas, and the other was a small piddly office. I managed just fine, though my boss (deputy minister) thought my piddly office looked pitiful because I removed everything except for a small desk, a chair and my laptop. We also lost our exec admin and we all got by just fine for the next 2 years.

I am now president of my own company. I shared a desk with 4 other people for the first 2 years, and now I havent had a desk at all for the last 6 months. I sat on one of those exercise balls last week next to a filing cabinet, with my laptop on my lap. Today I stood with my laptop perched on top of a pallet of cans, then I sat on a chair in a closet because I needed some privacy.

Big deal.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
There's already 290,000 square feet of empty class B office space in Regina.
That's not the numbers I saw in the multiple reports you so generously googled. But nice to see you talking actual numbers instead of simply insisting your opinion is correct.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
I was a govt exec in my last job. I had 3 "offices" as I worked in multiple building across the city. 2 were open cubicles in open areas, and the other was a small piddly office. I managed just fine, though my boss (deputy minister) thought my piddly office looked pitiful because I removed everything except for a small desk, a chair and my laptop. We also lost our exec admin and we all got by just fine for the next 2 years.

I am now president of my own company. I shared a desk with 4 other people for the first 2 years, and now I havent had a desk at all for the last 6 months. I sat on one of those exercise balls last week next to a filing cabinet, with my laptop on my lap. Today I stood with my laptop perched on top of a pallet of cans, then I sat on a chair in a closet because I needed some privacy.

Big deal.
It's all about context of the work (& personal style).

Anyone can work in almost any environment. There are certain jobs, and certain personal styles that are optimally served in particular environments. The cookie-cutter 'everyone gets a 3mx3m collaborative cube' model assumes everyone is the same, and all jobs are the same.

Not saying that I should be able to claim I "need" a 20x20 enclosed office to work at my best... just that pretending everyone/every role is the same to save on rent will hit the bottom line in other ways. Conversely, I worked for the province & had a 4mx4m cube with 7' walls... I would've given my eye tooth for shorter walls - the space was completely isolating. No one talked to each other. Ever.

Feds seem to have taken a reasonable approach to it, by looking at how often a person is in the office as a key factor to determining the size of their workspace. There are other factors - but this is obviously a big one. Makes no sense to lease 10m2 for someone who is only in the office 1 day a week/on the road/teleworking. Just as having a desktop & landline for that person makes little sense (give then a tablet or laptop, and a mobile phone).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:43 PM

Can we please get back to construction and Regina developments?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 10:18 PM

Anyone know if there are known tenants for the professional buildings going up at the north end of Harbour Landing?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
That's not the numbers I saw in the multiple reports you so generously googled. But nice to see you talking actual numbers instead of simply insisting your opinion is correct.
So you're admitting you can't read?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Can we please get back to construction and Regina developments?
Agreed.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
Life is hard when things don't go your way.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 1:56 PM

I haven't been over in Harbour Landing lately - is there any development going on at the corner of Parliament & Harbour Landing Drive? (Tutor Way on the south side)

Can anyone confirm if servicing is happening to the new movie theatre on the east side near the bypass? Looks like lots of foundation work is happening for the Costco, but it's hard to tell if anything is going on where the theatre is supposed to go.

Anyone have pics of the commercial development (progress) in the Greens on Gardiner where the Save-On Foods is going...with DQ, BP's, McDonald's, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan