HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:06 AM

They said on the level of Rolling Stones and ACDC and broad appeal.
Could it be Garth Brooks? He's touring again.
I'm thinking the Eagles is also a good guess.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
They said on the level of Rolling Stones and ACDC and broad appeal.
Could it be Garth Brooks? He's touring again.
I'm thinking the Eagles is also a good guess.
Garth Brooks is not broad appeal.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Neither are the Eagles. But who knows what broad appeal means. I find the hype for these concert events usually doesn't get matched by the actual artist but we'll see..

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Are you serious?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:18 PM

What is this building and why is nothing ever done with it?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
What is this building and why is nothing ever done with it?
AFAIK it's a part of the block of buildings that Harvard Developments owns and has purposely kept empty so that it's ready for demolition & redevelopment. The economic climate in Regina hasn't been the best lately though so that block may stay empty for quite some time before a major tenant comes along looking for a lot of Class A floorspace.

It's a pretty building though. Great character. Too bad it's essentially doomed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:40 PM

I'll backtrack on my original post. I'm hearing it will be The Eagles.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
AFAIK it's a part of the block of buildings that Harvard Developments owns and has purposely kept empty so that it's ready for demolition & redevelopment. The economic climate in Regina hasn't been the best lately though so that block may stay empty for quite some time before a major tenant comes along looking for a lot of Class A floorspace.

It's a pretty building though. Great character. Too bad it's essentially doomed.
Yeah, Harvard owns it. They have rented it out in the past.

It's a pretty fantastic building, but the entire block is ruined by Harvard's parkade.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:46 AM

Sasktel building Reno

Does anyone know if the Sasktel building being renovated downtown will look different when done? I assume so as it looks like the window configuration is different but I haven't seen any renders posted. It was dated and dirty so hopefully it gets a nice finish and not some ugly beige stucco finish.

It also looks like there are some renovations going on in the former Bank of Nova Scotia/Federal government building on Hamilton/11th, anyone have the scoop on that?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
Does anyone know if the Sasktel building being renovated downtown will look different when done? I assume so as it looks like the window configuration is different but I haven't seen any renders posted. It was dated and dirty so hopefully it gets a nice finish and not some ugly beige stucco finish.

It also looks like there are some renovations going on in the former Bank of Nova Scotia/Federal government building on Hamilton/11th, anyone have the scoop on that?
SaskTel will have a completely new facade but I don't know how it will look

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
$7.5million 'restack' of the building, and moving in a couple new federal tenants.

As time has progressed, groups have been moved into the building & teams, departments, etc are broken-up & scattered around. The ScotiaBank space is being used as the construction site office, while the top few floors (construction in these spaces is visible from the outside) & basement are currently being renovated. Tenants formerly in those areas are in swing space. When the top few floors are done, tenants for the next few floors will move into the top floors, some other tenants will move into swing space, etc... until the project is done (early 2019). The empty lot between the building & the Delta is being used for construction parking & waste materials.

Ultimately, the main level will be reconfigured to better accommodate Service Canada.

Since the building is federally-owned, I suspect this project will also see federal tenants leave some of the smaller spaces they're renting around downtown.

Last edited by Drofmab; Dec 1, 2017 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
$7.5million 'restack' of the building, and moving in a couple new federal tenants.

As time has progressed, groups have been moved into the building & teams, departments, etc are broken-up & scattered around. The ScotiaBank space is being used as the construction site office, while the top few floors (construction in these spaces is visible from the outside) & basement are currently being renovated. Tenants formerly in those areas are in swing space. When the top few floors are done, tenants for the next few floors will move into the top floors, some other tenants will move into swing space, etc... until the project is done (early 2019). The empty lot between the building & the Delta is being used for construction parking & waste materials.

Ultimately, the main level will be reconfigured to better accommodate Service Canada.

Since the building is federally-owned, I suspect this project will also see federal tenants leave some of the smaller spaces they're renting around downtown.
I thought the former Black Block property on Hamilton was denied an extension of its parking lot permit?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I thought the former Black Block property on Hamilton was denied an extension of its parking lot permit?
It was. Maybe a different approval for non-public use was sought & approved?
(or, perhaps, it's just flying under the radar).

The Delta has also been using the lot extensively over the past few months as they renovate rooms - semis, shipping containers, & Loraas bins have been a constant in the lot since June.

While not ideal, I suspect using this lot is better than the alternative, which likely would have involved seeking a permit to place Loraas bins/shipping containers in several parking meters on Hamilton and/or Rose for at least a year.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
It was. Maybe a different approval for non-public use was sought & approved?
(or, perhaps, it's just flying under the radar).

The Delta has also been using the lot extensively over the past few months as they renovate rooms - semis, shipping containers, & Loraas bins have been a constant in the lot since June.

While not ideal, I suspect using this lot is better than the alternative, which likely would have involved seeking a permit to place Loraas bins/shipping containers in several parking meters on Hamilton and/or Rose for at least a year.
Sweet deal for the owners of the empty lot. I am sure they are getting well compensated and have no incentive to redevelop as long as there is construction nearby and the City looks the other way.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Sweet deal for the owners of the empty lot. I am sure they are getting well compensated and have no incentive to redevelop as long as there is construction nearby and the City looks the other way.
LOL. I doubt that. The owners are getting hosed overall. There's nothing to develop the lot to and they can't have parking. Some temporary storage isn't going to stop the bleeding.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:

Rumour is they're fully vacating this property.

So the office market will be getting worse.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Rumour is they're fully vacating this property.

So the office market will be getting worse.
Yes, that’s included in the contract for Alvin Hamilton restock.Though, 2045 Broad is largely provincial. Health Canada is the main federal tenant in there. StatsCan is also moving from College/Albert to Alvin Hamilton as part of the project. Passport Canada isn’t in the project scope, but I’d be surprised if they don’t move over (since they operate under Service Canada).

I suspect the feds will look to consolidate (non-Crown) staff in a couple buildings downtown as leases expire - Alvin Hamilton,Tax Building, Scarth/Vic, and Mosaic Tower. There’s a lot of square footage available in these 4 buildings, and all but one are Crown-owned.

Last edited by Drofmab; Dec 2, 2017 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, that’s included in the contract for Alvin Hamilton restock.Though, 2045 Broad is largely provincial. Health Canada is the main federal tenant in there. StatsCan is also moving from College/Albert to Alvin Hamilton as part of the project. Passport Canada isn’t in the project scope, but I’d be surprised if they don’t move over (since they operate under Service Canada).

I suspect the feds will look to consolidate (non-Crown) staff in a couple buildings downtown as leases expire - Alvin Hamilton,Tax Building, Scarth/Vic, and Mosaic Tower. There’s a lot of square footage available in these 4 buildings, and all but one are Crown-owned.
2045 Broad is nearly 50% federal (63k sq ft. out of 133k sq. ft), so if they leave the building will be hurting.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
2045 Broad is nearly 50% federal (63k sq ft. out of 133k sq. ft), so if they leave the building will be hurting.
But if people are moving from one downtown building to another how will that make the overall office market worse? One building gains while another loses, but the overall impact is a push the way I see it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
But if people are moving from one downtown building to another how will that make the overall office market worse? One building gains while another loses, but the overall impact is a push the way I see it.
Because they're leaving a rented space to go to a federally owned building. The vacancy rate doesn't count owner-occupied buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan