HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:42 AM

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...-area-proposal

The city is going to take another look at the proposal for 13th and Elphinstone. It sounds like they're going to look at the plan pretty much as it was the first time although the article talks about leaving the house on Elphinstone and easing the parking requirements.

From the article:

Quote:
Kahan, along with others, will present an alternate proposal at a commission meeting on Thursday: That the building be reduced to three storeys; that the house be maintained; that the parking requirements be eased; and that the lot have a couple of car-share spots.
She's got some decent ideas, though I don't see any reason to reduce it to three storeys.

This got me thinking about the proposal a few years back for 13th and Retallack. Anyone know whatever happened to that? I thought they were making some changes to the plan but I never heard about it again.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
The article makes it sounds like it already started. I really don't think there'a any more roof for another hotel in Grasslands.
Do you know if the strip of land north of Parliament Avenue @ Lewvan, which is about to be developed, is zoned (or could be zoned) for a hotel? It would make sense as it would be the nearest hotel to the airport.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Do you know if the strip of land north of Parliament Avenue @ Lewvan, which is about to be developed, is zoned (or could be zoned) for a hotel? It would make sense as it would be the nearest hotel to the airport.
But that is not part of Grasslands

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
But that is not part of Grasslands
True
A lot of people don't know the difference between Grasslands and Harbour Landing. LOL

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...-area-proposal

The city is going to take another look at the proposal for 13th and Elphinstone. It sounds like they're going to look at the plan pretty much as it was the first time although the article talks about leaving the house on Elphinstone and easing the parking requirements.

From the article:

She's got some decent ideas, though I don't see any reason to reduce it to three storeys.

This got me thinking about the proposal a few years back for 13th and Retallack. Anyone know whatever happened to that? I thought they were making some changes to the plan but I never heard about it again.
Easing parking requirements is clearly the right answer. We have far too much parking in the core and it punishes peoplewho don't want to drive.

The Retallack project fell apart due to financing.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
True
A lot of people don't know the difference between Grasslands and Harbour Landing. LOL
There is an unmarked hotel-sized building indicated at HL Dr. and Gordon Rd. on the Grasslands site plan, but that does not seem like a logical place.

http://www.grasslands.ca/leasing-information/site-plan

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:43 PM

I would also doubt that a hotel would be built on the corner of Lewvan and Parliament due to height restrictions.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
There is an unmarked hotel-sized building indicated at HL Dr. and Gordon Rd. on the Grasslands site plan, but that does not seem like a logical place.

http://www.grasslands.ca/leasing-information/site-plan
The northwest corner? Is that not one of the four planned buildings for Harbour Pointe condos? The first one is complete and I believe the second building has been started.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The northwest corner? Is that not one of the four planned buildings for Harbour Pointe condos? The first one is complete and I believe the second building has been started.
Sorry I was referring to the NE corner, but I realize now that is McDonald's. It is unmarked on the site plan.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 11:33 PM

RPC Agenda summary:

One of the empty buildings on 11th in the "Chinatown" district will be getting a new Asian restaurant.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.45036...8i6656!6m1!1e1

20 person supportive living home going into Canterbury on College between Halifax and Osler.

Large shopping centre ("Acre 21") going on the east corner of Chuka and Green Falls in Greens on Gardiner:

Quote:

The applicant is proposing to develop a 24,060
m2 Shopping Centre on a 7.87 hectare parcel of
land in Greens on Gardiner. The development will provide a variety of commercial amenities
and services to the neighbourhood.
The attached site plan (Appendix 3.1) shows the proposed general layout of the site. Individual
uses for the buildings have not been established, but would be required to conform to the land
use requirements of the DSC – Designated Shopping Centre Zone. The applicant has identified a
Grocery Store as one of the potential uses as well as two mixed-use buildings. Another feature of
the development is an open air plaza at the southeast end of the site adjacent to Chuka Creek,
which will connect into a multi-use pathway system. The gas bar shown on the site plan at the
southwest edge of the site does not form part of this application and will be considered at a later
date under separate application.
There is more but I have not gotten around to reading it yet.

Last edited by Stormer; Jul 6, 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 11:43 PM

Comment deleted as I didn't see Stormer's correction above, re: McDonald's

Last edited by Draftsman; Jul 6, 2016 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Deleted.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 11:48 PM

Deleted

Last edited by Stormer; Jul 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 11:49 PM

More form the RPC Agenda:

updated render form the re-tooled Elphinstone and 13th mixed use proposal:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:17 AM

Well, there's goes any hope of Chuka being a pleasant street.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
More form the RPC Agenda:

updated render form the re-tooled Elphinstone and 13th mixed use proposal:

I have always liked this proposal. I also think this building would be great for the spot on Hamilton street downtown next to the delta in the parking lot. Ground floor retail and living above.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I have always liked this proposal. I also think this building would be great for the spot on Hamilton street downtown next to the delta in the parking lot. Ground floor retail and living above.
So can we bet on the likelihood of it getting rejected at commission for no damn reason? I have a bad feeling about this.

I've always like the same architect's plans for 15th. http://www.jmaarchitecture.ca/projec...al_on_15th.php

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Well, there's goes any hope of Chuka being a pleasant street.
Honestly the biggest failure of the Greens and the Creeks is a lack of retail. Now, I was hoping that it would only see mixed use as in Revera's site, but the addition of a Sobey's there is good. It's just a shame there's a full big-box development.

Edit: that said: there is nothing plesant about the souless, dystopian suburban collector roads. Such as here, here, or here. The street-centeredness of retail at least has some life.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 2:01 AM

Quote:
So can we bet on the likelihood of it getting rejected at commission for no damn reason? I have a bad feeling about this.

I've always like the same architect's plans for 15th. http://www.jmaarchitecture.ca/projec...al_on_15th.php
I was a big fan of that one too. It was perfect for that location and, if it had been built, would have been high on my list with the perfect location close to work, downtown, a decent amount of amenities, and the park across the street for my dog.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 3:28 AM

Quote:

Yes I do like the plans as well. Was the 15th Ave plan rejected?

Wasn't there going to be a development further down 13th closer to Albert Street at one time next to the Indigo Store kiddy corner from Safeway? (something about the land taking years to go through legal stuff because of a past fire?)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Yes I do like the plans as well. Was the 15th Ave plan rejected?

Wasn't there going to be a development further down 13th closer to Albert Street at one time next to the Indigo Store kiddy corner from Safeway? (something about the land taking years to go through legal stuff because of a past fire?)
Pretty sure 15th was approved but just never happened.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan