HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1061  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:14 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I don't think it will. He is a very humble person. He is as honest a man as you will ever find. The good news is we can rest soundly knowing that there will be no backdoor deals or anything negative happening behind doors.

This may not mean anything to a lot of people, but he is a devout Christian, in that he follows the principles of Christianity very strongly. To the point where he and a few other officers have a prayer group within the service. They have all committed to praying in a group before each shift.

Like I said, it may not mean anything to some, but just be rest assured that his faith is what allows him to be such an honest, outstanding citizen. A better chief could not have been found.
I'm sorry Chris, but this is a load of crap. Anyone who blindly follows Canada's archaic prohibition laws is nowhere near an "honest, outstanding" citizen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1062  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:24 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 6,295
The Christian stuff about the new Chief is pretty meh to me. I mean good for him, but that's not how I live my life.

An honest person is honest, period. They don't need to hide behind religion or any else for that matter.

I consider myself to be fair and honest, and I obviously hope the same for our new Chief. The fact he is a devout Christian or has prayer circles doesn't make him any better in my eyes. If anything, it would make me a little more suspicious. Everything in moderation, as they say...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1063  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:32 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
and the lord said "ban this plant so big pharma can continue to rake in billions of profit on addictive and damaging drugs like oxycontin"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1064  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:33 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1065  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:40 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'm sorry Chris, but this is a load of crap. Anyone who blindly follows Canada's archaic prohibition laws is nowhere near an "honest, outstanding" citizen.
Prohibition?
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1066  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:41 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Prohibition?
drug laws.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1067  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:47 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The Christian stuff about the new Chief is pretty meh to me. I mean good for him, but that's not how I live my life.
That is what I figured for most people. And that is how it should be. I am not trying to push anything on people, but there are a few forumers out there who I know for a fact are Christians, and they would be comforted by this.

I am not trying to start a Religious debate here, I just figured that for those who are Christians this would be comforting. As it is for me, I know him as an outstanding Christian individual.

His being a Christian is comforting to me as a Christian. If he was Islamic, Jewish, or Atheist and still an outstanding citizen I wouldn't look at him as any different. Why? Because people of all races and religions share the same morals, or at least they should. However, because of his beliefs I simply understand why it is he does the things he does, or why he thinks the way he thinks. That is all.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1068  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:50 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
drug laws.
Lol, I am still confused though. Christians aren't necessarily against or for any drug laws. There is only one global definition for a Christian that fits the bill. That is someone who believes in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

There is no pre-requisite saying that you have to believe in prohibition. In fact some Christians are Hardened Criminals who deal drugs. I for one am for the legalization of marijuana. I understand that society would be much better if certain substances - which have a negative impact from the streets - were transferred to the shelves of stores, and distributed with the same guidelines that we distribute alcohol and cigarettes.

I don't do drugs, but I will never judge someone who does.

It is statements like the one above, or the video above that make me say that I am not religious at all. I just believe something.

Video Link
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1069  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:51 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
how is it moral to help imprison thousands of poor and sick people and give them things like mandatory minimums and criminal records (both extremely detrimental to any hope they may have to live positive, healthy lives) for possessing a plant?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1070  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 4:56 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
how is it moral to help imprison thousands of poor and sick people and give them things like mandatory minimums and criminal records (both extremely detrimental to any hope they may have to live positive, healthy lives) for possessing a plant?
Who has done that? I am confused by what you are saying. I just said that I am not against legalizing marijuana, and Devon Klunis isn't necessarily against it either. In fact I don't know where he stands on that matter. Prohibition has nothing to do with being a Christian.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1071  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:07 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Who has done that? I am confused by what you are saying. I just said that I am not against legalizing marijuana, and Devon Klunis isn't necessarily against it either. In fact I don't know where he stands on that matter. Prohibition has nothing to do with being a Christian.
I'm not talking about Christianity, I'm talking about Devon Klunis. you just mentioned that he was an honest, outstanding citizen with morals which, based on what he does, I don't think is true. Someone who is honest with the public and themselves about the negative effects of drug prohibition would have made a much better chief, imo. I don't think that person exists within the police force unfortunately. If there is, iwouls love for them to speak up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1072  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:26 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'm not talking about Christianity, I'm talking about Devon Klunis. you just mentioned that he was an honest, outstanding citizen with morals which, based on what he does, I don't think is true. Someone who is honest with the public and themselves about the negative effects of drug prohibition would have made a much better chief, imo. I don't think that person exists within the police force unfortunately. If there is, iwouls love for them to speak up.
I am so confused by what you're saying.

The bolded part outlines that no one really knows where Devon stands with his policy yet. He himself has declared that he hasn't created a firm outline for the force yet. He said he will only do so once talking to the public and his front liners. And I believe he will do so.

I have yet to hear him make a stance or even bring up prohibition in any statement he has made. Or is this you saying that you are against the police force and "authority" in general.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1073  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:41 PM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I'm not talking about Christianity, I'm talking about Devon Klunis. you just mentioned that he was an honest, outstanding citizen with morals which, based on what he does, I don't think is true. Someone who is honest with the public and themselves about the negative effects of drug prohibition would have made a much better chief, imo. I don't think that person exists within the police force unfortunately. If there is, iwouls love for them to speak up.
I take you like the herb a little bit.
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1074  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 6:40 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am so confused by what you're saying.

The bolded part outlines that no one really knows where Devon stands with his policy yet. He himself has declared that he hasn't created a firm outline for the force yet. He said he will only do so once talking to the public and his front liners. And I believe he will do so.

I have yet to hear him make a stance or even bring up prohibition in any statement he has made. Or is this you saying that you are against the police force and "authority" in general.
I disagree with any authority that continues to enforce immoral and regressive laws. Klunis hasn't had the courage to speak out against them (if he is even agaisnt them), I don't really expect him to start now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1075  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 9:19 PM
Reed Solomon's Avatar
Reed Solomon Reed Solomon is offline
Celebrating 50 Years
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: WIN A PIG, MAN A TUBA
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
This may not mean anything to a lot of people, but he is a devout Christian, in that he follows the principles of Christianity very strongly. To the point where he and a few other officers have a prayer group within the service. They have all committed to praying in a group before each shift.
Well this isn't a selling point to me. I find people who are very religious to be very difficult to reason with rationally, and potentially annoying. He, like everyone else is entitled to religious freedom under the charter, but I hope we don't see him years down the line running for the Conservatives and trying to outlaw abortions and acting all mental like many religious people do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1076  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:55 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is online now
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
His being a Christian is comforting to me as a Christian. If he was Islamic, Jewish, or Atheist and still an outstanding citizen I wouldn't look at him as any different.
But you just singled out that you look at him differently as a Christian. You wouldn't have said his religious beliefs are comforting if he didn't share yours. You would still consider him outstanding, and by your description he sounds admirable, but would the idea of him comfort you if he believed in a different religion or no religion at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have yet to hear him make a stance or even bring up prohibition in any statement he has made. Or is this you saying that you are against the police force and "authority" in general.
What are his opinions on the legalization of marijuana?

Many officers support it. Does he?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1077  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:05 PM
pollswpg pollswpg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I disagree with any authority that continues to enforce immoral and regressive laws. Klunis hasn't had the courage to speak out against them (if he is even agaisnt them), I don't really expect him to start now.
I can honestly say I don't agree with your stance on drugs, but there's no point in us arguing about that because I know that we'll just argue until the cows come home and neither of us will change our opinion.

But you have to understand that the police are the police, not the law makers. Police are there to enforce the law that's already in place, not make or change laws themselves. I understand what you're saying, but change like that isn't made through the police service, it's made through politics. As we all know, Winnipeg is a violent city. Future-Chief Clunis will have a lot on his plate as it is, and political activist isn't part of his job description.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1078  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 5:34 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,777
As long as he does a good job
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1079  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:05 PM
chrisallard5454's Avatar
chrisallard5454 chrisallard5454 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
As long as he does a good job
I am extremely positive that he will do a great job. He is a wonderful man in many ways.
__________________
2017 Tryout for DEL 2 Kassel Huskies
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1080  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:10 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is online now
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
I can honestly say I don't agree with your stance on drugs, but there's no point in us arguing about that because I know that we'll just argue until the cows come home and neither of us will change our opinion.

But you have to understand that the police are the police, not the law makers. Police are there to enforce the law that's already in place, not make or change laws themselves. I understand what you're saying, but change like that isn't made through the police service, it's made through politics. As we all know, Winnipeg is a violent city. Future-Chief Clunis will have a lot on his plate as it is, and political activist isn't part of his job description.
There is nothing wrong with a police officer advocating for something that will make their job easier, especially when it is a law that they see, first hand, is not working as intended. There is a reason so many police officers oppose marijuana laws.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:12 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.